Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 AM

1,567 posts, read 4,427,354 times

Advertisements

The other day, I was reminiscing about the good ol' days and remembered some terrible jobs that I had at a much younger age.

Worst of all: being a member of the clean-up crew at Candlestick Park in San Francsco in the early 60's. Nothing like sweeping a row in the upper deck and having a 40-mph wind blow the trash back to its original location. Things were especially fun after double headers.

But with Willie Mays, Orlando Cepeda, Willie McCovey and Juan Marichal starring for the Giants, it all seemed to be worth it. Another redeeming feature was the pay: $7 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM

923 posts, read 2,421,260 times
When I was 12, I stood on the corner of Louisana & Lomas every Saturday and sold the Alb. Journal for .25 each. I made .03 per paper. I basically worked for the tips. After a few hours I'd be lucky to have $7-$10 in tips. Once in a blue moon, some nice person would spot me a $5 bill. I remember standing in the cold and the wind. It was not fun.

Another job I had was selling candy when I was 13 -- saltwater taffy, cashew peanuts, peanut brittle, etc... The candy was $2.50 per box and I made .50 per box. I'd have to lug around a big box with all of the candy in it. My boss would drop me off on a busy street and I'd go from business to business. When I ran out of candy, I'd sit on the street and wait for him to come by and fill up my box again. I remember one day that was especially bad for sales. I walked from Montgomery & San Mateo all the way to San Mateo & Gibson and only sold 3 boxes of candy! We were told to say that we were trying to earn money to go to summer camp.

We'd also do road trips to places like Gallup or Durango to sell the candy. We were told not to go into the bars, but I couldn't resist doing that because I'd sell out my entire box in five minutes.

I also used to do phone soliciting jobs when I was a teenager. I hated getting hung up on. I had some horrible jobs back then!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,309,735 times
Worst job: Selling cars for a dealership. After 3 wks, I quit on my way to work one morning.

In 7th grade, I'd ride my bike from El Cerro Loop near Tome Hill, thru the Valencia "Y" (was an actual Y back then) and up to the bowling alley in Bosque Farms where I'd clean the parking lot twice a week for $5. Then on the way back, I'd clean the old Sidewinder Lounge's lot too. No fancy sidewalks back then.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,688,646 times
I've had a few bad jobs. The one that sticks out in my mind was working at an answering service from ages 11-18. Thinking back, it's a bit frightening that they allowed an 11yo to monitor home security alarms and answer the phones. We routinely got perverted callers, including some regulars, like one guy who would call a funeral home that used the service and say obscene things. There were also plenty of angry callers trying to reach their plumber, electrician, apartment management office, roofer, etc. Lots of prescription drug addicts calling one doctor after another trying to get their hands on pain meds. They never realized that they were talking to the same person over and over when they called these different doctors after hours. The people who worked at this answering service were just as colorful and interesting as the callers. It wasn't uncommon to see crack pipes in peoples lockers, and one morning the owner of the service arrived to find gun shots in the ceiling. Then there were the people who used the service. An answering service is a good front for lots of shady businesses. There were also the people who would yell and scream at you no matter what when you bothered them after hours. Doctors on call with a patient who had an emergency would bite your head off when you paged them. Fun times I tell ya!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 PM

923 posts, read 2,421,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Worst job: Selling cars for a dealership. After 3 wks, I quit on my way to work one morning.

In 7th grade, I'd ride my bike from El Cerro Loop near Tome Hill, thru the Valencia "Y" (was an actual Y back then) and up to the bowling alley in Bosque Farms where I'd clean the parking lot twice a week for $5. Then on the way back, I'd clean the old Sidewinder Lounge's lot too. No fancy sidewalks back then.

I had that job, too (selling new cars). I did that for two years. It wasn't so bad back then. I made pretty decent income for being 22 years old. I would not want that as a lifetime career though. I still know some salesmen from back then who are still selling cars today. Most came and went like you did, but there are those who made it their careers. I think of that and shudder. I also shudder thinking about how every day I got into cars with complete strangers and let them drive.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 PM

332 posts, read 1,120,808 times
I teach Special Ed in Middle School. I firmly believe there is a place reserved in heaven for me.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 AM

1,567 posts, read 4,427,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I teach Special Ed in Middle School. I firmly believe there is a place reserved in heaven for me.

Just teaching at the middle school level should get you past those pearly gates without having to wait in line.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
Although not in New Mexico, my worst civillian job was clearing power line ROW in the North Woods. I swear I lost a pound a day just to the mosquitoes and BLACK FLIES. It was about the hardest work I ever did. By far the worst job was being a River Rat on the Mekong in '66-'67.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,191,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I thought there weren't any tickets out of hell once you were there. :-)

Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM

332 posts, read 1,120,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I thought there weren't any tickets out of hell once you were there. :-)
Yeah, I lie to the kids all the time (not on real issues - for instance they ask what their grade is, and my standard answer is F), and they tell me I'm going to hell. I always tell them I'm already in hell, but they don't get it!

NMGUY - I hope I get to the head of the line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque