Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM

30 posts, read 101,095 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a family of 4 that is in the process of a job relocation from Oregon to ABQ.
We are not sure exactly where we will be living, but my hubby's place of work will be in North valley.

Anyway, I am just wondering about homeschooling in the area. I have a 6 and 8 year old that I've been homeschooling in Oregon. I've noticed that the Homeschool laws give you a bit more freedom than other states do.

However, I'm also interested in good, safe elementary schools... just in case I decide to send my kids to a traditional school.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM

25 posts, read 76,477 times
Hi Wigglefish,

ABQ has a (surprisingly?) large and active homeschooling community.

Here's the main resource that homeschoolers use to coordinate with each other:
Albuquerque Homeschooling: Resources for New Mexico Homeschoolers

I think that one reason why the community is so vibrant is that the public education system in New Mexico is shockingly poor. By almost any outcome measure, the state regularly features in the bottom decile of the distribution.

In addition, the city has one of the highest ratios in the nation of PhD's per capita. These are knowledge workers at Sandia National Labs, UNM, etc who (1) value education, (2) typically cannot afford private schools, and (3) are dismayed by the quality of the public schools. Under this set of circumstances the DIY option becomes increasingly attractive.

Some activities that my homeschooled kids have been involved with include:
1. Bosque Ecosystem Monitoring Program
2. UNM music program
3. Explora Museum
4. Museum of Natural History
5. Taekwondo
6. Swimming lessons provided by the city
7. The Challenger Learning Center

Best wishes!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 101,095 times
Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 PM

210 posts, read 408,258 times
If you do look at public schools, consider moving to Rio Rancho. It may not be much better, but I would not recommend APS with the large class sizes to any parent.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 24,434 times
This home-school group is Christian-based:
Rio Grande Enrichment Studies L.L.C. Traditional * Tutorial * Christian Education

Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM

108 posts, read 264,606 times
Default APS family school

Hey Wigglefish,

Take a look at the APS family school. It may be called Desert Willow. It's a charter school that combines some homeschooling with a certain number of hours of in-class instruction for kids, development of parent teaching skills, etc.

I've heard some good things about it for those who can integrate it into their family dynamic.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque