Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

350 posts, read 768,698 times

Advertisements

For all the India Pale Ale lovers:

So who makes the best one? Santa Fe Brewing? Marble? Chama River?

I've had them all and am leaning toward either Marble Brewing's Double IPA, or Santa Fe's in-a-can Happy Camper IPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post

I've had them all and am leaning toward either Marble Brewing's Double IPA, or Santa Fe's in-a-can Happy Camper IPA.
And I obviously don't want to limit this to ABQ/SF breweries. What about the other guys?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM

79 posts, read 231,000 times
High Desert Brewing Company in Las Cruces, NM. I'm not much of a beer person, and definitely not much of an IPA fan, but High Desert has some good IPA. Their Oktoberfest is pretty freak'n good too. I've been pining for it since being up here in ABQ. I broke down the other day to try the Sam Adams Oktoberfest, but it's just not the same. They've (High Desert) got pretty good food too, particularly their green chile cheese burger. I never tried it, but from the non-alcoholic side they're suppose to have a great home-brewed rootbeer too.

I've not been too impressed with Marble yet. But as I said, I'm not much of a beer person. If I have it, I'm usually drinking stout in the form of either Guinness, Murphy's, or Beamish.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,121 times
Im a fan of the Marble IPA. Ive enjoyed all of their beers. On The other hand I havent been impressed with Santa Fe's at all.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpsofNM View Post
High Desert Brewing Company in Las Cruces, NM. I'm not much of a beer person, and definitely not much of an IPA fan, but High Desert has some good IPA. Their Oktoberfest is pretty freak'n good too. I've been pining for it since being up here in ABQ. I broke down the other day to try the Sam Adams Oktoberfest, but it's just not the same. They've (High Desert) got pretty good food too, particularly their green chile cheese burger. I never tried it, but from the non-alcoholic side they're suppose to have a great home-brewed rootbeer too.

I've not been too impressed with Marble yet. But as I said, I'm not much of a beer person. If I have it, I'm usually drinking stout in the form of either Guinness, Murphy's, or Beamish.
I can vouch for the HD IPA, as well as their double wheat and dark bock, all are good. The home-made root beer is also delicious.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM

366 posts, read 869,021 times
The results of the 2010 NM IPA Challenge:

1. Il Vicino
2. Marble
3. Santa Fe
4. Chama River
5 THREE WAY TIE: Blue Corn, Second Street, Three Rivers
8. TIE- Turtle Mountain and High Desert
10. Rio Grande

I've only had a few of them on that list, but definitely put Marble at the top of what I have had. Haven't been to Il Vicino before, they just moved their location, I don't know if they are brewing again yet.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:50 AM

238 posts, read 634,691 times
Thumbs up Billygoat IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post

I can unequivocally state that *I* brew the best Double IPA in the state, most likely the country, probably the entire world, and perhaps even the entire known universe... well, perhaps the Romulans have the best intergalactic ale.

I will say Il Vicino's IPA comes in a distant second, and Marble's IPA in third. Maybe I'll be nice and give some away to the luckiest beer connoisseurs in the southwest. My next batch will most likely be in November or December.

Lord, it's hard to be humble...

--BtK

Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I also brew the best IPA in Albuquerque ;-)

The thing with Marble is... they are putting something in the Kool-Aid. They are kind of like the hot chick that transfered into your High School at the end of Junior year and everybody is ga-ga.

While I can't dismiss the basic quality of their IPA (and it is done in the most hyped fashion of West coast IPAs these days), their other beers defy style guidelines (not everything needs the West Coast Imperial hopping treatment, especially Brown!) and they just do little to get me as enthusiastic as the raving, frothing Marble 'fanboys' I contend with on a regular basis.

I say good for Il Vicino on their award. I think their beers are a little under appreciated these days since the playing field has so rapidly expanded in the last few years.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,121 times
I agree that Marble's Red and Amber are both unusual, and not true to the style. I still enjoy them though.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM

I see nobody has said anything about Kelly's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque