Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 PM

473 posts, read 1,245,302 times

Advertisements

Norm,

I've always wanted to have a buddy named Norm so I could yell his name everytime he walked into the room. Unfortunately, that never happened. I don't know a Norm.

So here goes...

NORM!!!

that's all I have to add to this thread. I have zero experience w/ swamp coolers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
NORM!!!!!!

(That was fun!)

I am swampless and not happy about it at this point.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:02 PM

362 posts, read 1,718,996 times
Norm,
I'd say just replace it. I know there are die hard NM folks who swear by swamp coolers. However, I have experienced summer vacations in NM where I thought I would drown in sweat when relying on a swamp cooler. When I lived there, I made sure to get a place with central A/C. Of course, some tolerate the heat better than others. Obviously I not one of those.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:15 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,073 times
I didn't realize that it was that easy to switch out your swamp cooler unit and replace it with a refrigerated one. Can anyone give a guess as to how much that would cost (for a home that is approx 1800 sq ft)? If it is not terribly expensive, I don't think that the type of air conditioning a house has will be as big of a factor when I'm looking for a home.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM

145 posts, read 481,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
I didn't realize that it was that easy to switch out your swamp cooler unit and replace it with a refrigerated one. Can anyone give a guess as to how much that would cost (for a home that is approx 1800 sq ft)? If it is not terribly expensive, I don't think that the type of air conditioning a house has will be as big of a factor when I'm looking for a home.

Well I just put a 3.5 ton (signifying the rating not the weight) on a 1500 sft house. Its supplies heat and air conditioning The actual cost of the unit was $1700. The cost to have two thieves park their truck in front of my house for 12hrs was an additional $4000.

It is very nice in the house now no added humidity and as cool as i like.
Last month the gas and elect to my home was $100 -/+.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:23 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,073 times
Thanks -- very helpful.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
I made a very deliberate decision to buy a house with a swamp cooler rather than AC and so far I am very, very happy. I appreciate the little bit of added humidity that makes the air feel more 'natural' to me. My house stays in a very comfortable 75-78 degree range all day even with the temps outside exceeding 100 and this with the fan running on low most of the time. I've only had it on since the beginning of June, so I don't know yet what the impact is on my water usage, but, right now, I am very satisfied with my decision to go with the swamper.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Mortimer, replies to everybody:

jrod2828 said:

> I've always wanted to have a buddy named Norm ....

I'm getting the idea that jrod2828 is pretty easy to please (except when it comes to a house). That's good for the wife.

Swampless Towanda said:

> ... not happy about it at this point.

Are you considering a portable?

In another thread:

mrgoodwx, now a Senior Member reported:

> ... hit 90 degrees ... the airport ... the average is about 30 times per year ...

Airport : above 6,200 ft and below 6,400 ft (I miss topozone).
Towanda: perhaps 6,950 ft (at Avenida Eldorado and Rt-285).

She might be 3-4 degrees cooler on average than the airport. Eldorado is downsloping from the NE to the SW (down to Galisteo (under 6,200) and lower still to Cerrillos (under 5,800). Not having been there, I would assume that it is much like the Albuquerque foothills with cooler days and warmer nights than those places.

BTW, Towanda: How was that full moon rising just after sunset last night?
If you missed it, there will be a nearly full waning gibbous moon rising about an hour after sunset. This is surely a glass of wine on the porch moment.

honu1 claimed:

> ... there are die hard NM folks who swear by swamp coolers.
> However, I have experienced summer vacations in NM where
> I thought I would drown in sweat when relying on a swamp cooler.

In New Mexico if you experience that, it is because of operator error and not a failing of the system.

jghoo

> ... cost of the unit was $1700. The cost to have two thieves park
> their truck in front of my house for 12hrs was an additional $4000.

Every installation I have ever heard of for a heat pump like that was in the $6,000 to $7,000 range. The unit might have been $1,700, but the expertise to put it in is easily worth the $4,000. As long as it is working for you, you don't sound like you got ripped off.

yukon can probably testify to this; sometimes people come in to ask a bit of accounting advice. yukon might be able to answer the question off the top of their (green eyeshaded) head, but it still costs $100/hour to get your question answered. Professional services cost money.

TigerLily24 lives in a ...

> ... house with a swamp cooler ... a very comfortable 75-78 degree ...

If this is your first swamper, you might be disappointed by Monsoon Season performance when temps are 90-91 and your house is 80-81 and a bit muggier than you like it.

It's real important to turn off the pump once the rain starts coming down.

Also, don't leave it on when you are not at home.

> ... don't know yet what the impact is on my water usage, ....

If you notice a jump, it is a fixable mechanical problem. The area around your cooler should be dry. If it is moist, you might be losing gallons-an-hour without seeing any water flow. Swamp coolers use water, but absolutely nothing like a little patch of grass.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:40 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
In another thread:

BTW, Towanda: How was that full moon rising just after sunset last night?
If you missed it, there will be a nearly full waning gibbous moon rising about an hour after sunset. This is surely a glass of wine on the porch moment.
We missed it last night, and I am not sure how we could have because earlier we mentioned we wanted to look at it with hubby's new telescope.

We WILL remember to look at it tonight .... I want to get a picture of it for my blog site ... and I have the wine (Santa Fe Vineyards) ready.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM

145 posts, read 481,356 times
mortimer,

since you commented. I called the hvac guys thieves because after they completed the job and disappeared I had to flash the roof that they didn't bother to do. I had to reform the return air frame in the ceiling. I had to correct shoddy framing on the ductwork throughout the house.

Just clarifying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque