Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,376 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Its my first time to the balloon fiesta since 1995 and I've heard getting in and our of the balloon fiesta is a zoo these days. So, can anyone recommend any good nearby locations to see the morning mass ascension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Hello,
Its my first time to the balloon fiesta since 1995 and I've heard getting in and our of the balloon fiesta is a zoo these days. So, can anyone recommend any good nearby locations to see the morning mass ascension?
I don't have any recommendations on where to view the mass ascension outside of the park, but just wanted to say that getting in is not a problem in my experience, especially if you arrive early (and eat some yummy food with coffee or hot chocolate). Also the park and ride service works extremely well and is very convenient and pretty fast.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,348 times
Heading east on Alameda turn left (north) on Jefferson. Drive a few blocks until you see a park on the right (Wildflower Park). Great views from that park which is basically behind the fiesta parking lot. Several balloons land there. There's also a way to access the park from the neighborhood just south of the park (at least there used to be). Here's a picture from that park (taken several years ago):

I guess the Energizer Bunny ran out of energy...

Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Hello,
There is no one spot which is good. It depends on the wind for that day. You really can't get very close to the park to watch. If you really want to see the mass ascension well and for sure, go to the park.

I've just been chasing them for the past few years and see what I can see. I use to be on a balloon crew...

A thread about last years Fiesta in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ta-2009-a.html

My videos from 2009 are here: Balloon Fiesta 2009 Videos

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-22-2010 at 09:35 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
We watch from an empty lot on Louisiana, north of Alameda.

The ABQ Ride park & ride service to the fiesta is excellent.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM

18 posts, read 87,074 times
As a recent transplant, this will be my first time. Is it better to go on the first day or wait until later? Also, when should I plan to arrive to the park so I don't miss anything?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM

326 posts, read 837,596 times
How much does it cost to get into the actual park??? Do you have to pay twice if you go in the AM and PM??

Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Guitar,
Any day is fine to go. Although the later you wait to go, the fewer balloons there tend to be (this is based on my own perceptions). It seems like the last couple of days are somewhat sparse. I always try to go the first weekend for the full experience. And the art show nearby is always fun too.

Magarita,
According to the website, general admission is $6. Park and ride is $10 for adults and $5 for children, and that includes admission. I am not sure if the admission allows you to come and go throughout the entire day. I am also not sure how much they charge for parking, if anything.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarRCGG
As a recent transplant, this will be my first time. Is it better to go on the first day or wait until later? Also, when should I plan to arrive to the park so I don't miss anything?
There are different days with various events. Mass ascension (where a lot of balloons take off at once) Mass Ascension and special shapes tends to be popular as well as the Balloon Glow at night (These have been modified and called various things). I am told the fireworks are well done. I see them seven miles away, and they look like they would be good to see up close.

Their daily event schedule: Daily Event Schedule

The web site has a lot of info: Welcome to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

I can't really say how and what time to arrive, I was on a balloon crew for a few years, we use to get there at 05:30 am, and we had a separate gate...

Rich

Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM

We usually arrive around 6am for the mass ascension, which is at 7am. It's a bit on the early side, but we don't have to wait in long traffic lines. Plus, it's really beautiful to watch the sky brighten and the balloons go through the entire process of setting up, inflating, and launching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque