Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:12 PM

45 posts, read 342,144 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have anything to say about living in Saratoga Springs? I am looking to relocate there sometime next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 80,796 times
Default Saratoga springs

Heard it's a pretty coolllll place

Old 07-23-2006, 05:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I've only been there once on a little tour de la Adirondacks/ Lake George area. It's an absolutely beautiful town. Wide treelined streets with rows and rows of amazing old victorian houses. Its in an extremely picturesque setting as well. The economy in that area is also much better than most of the rest of the region too.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the economy. I currently live out West but am originally from the midwest and have lived on the east coast. While I have visited New York City (and have cousins who live there) I really am interested in moving to upstate New York, mainly because I have met a lot of transplants from upstate and they seem like really down-to-earth, nice people. However, most of the research I have done on upstate New York reveals some pretty dismal economic statistics. I am looking at Albany/Troy or Saratoga Springs but have never been there. Does the Capital Region get the same lake effect snow as the western part of the state? (I actually prefer cold weather to hot weather but have read some real horror stories about the snow...

Old 07-23-2006, 07:40 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,395 times
No, the capitol region doesn't get the same 'lake effect' snow as the farther western part of the state, though it does get some. Personally I find Saratoga attractive, but a little touristy/crowded in the summer in particular. Still, it's nicely located with access to Albany, the Adirondaks, has a fair amount of culture and really interesting history, etc. Quite pretty area, though I find farther west toward the north of the Catskills prettier.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
LOL.... no Albany isn't in New York's "snow belt". That's the other three majore Upstate cities... Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse (ironcially enough, Syracuse isn't even on one of the great lakes, but gets the most snow out of the three cities). Albany does tend to be colder durring winter because it doesn't have the moderating effect of the lakes though.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:36 PM

Thank you for the feedback I'minformed and Honeycromb

Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM

59 posts, read 325,295 times
I love the Saratoga region. I spent 18 years living about 10 minutes east of Saratoga on the Hudson River. I now live in the city because of my job, but would go back there. The city is a small city, really nice atmosphere, friendly one. They also have a very well-kept downtown area with a lot of small sidewalk cafes/bookstores among other shops. Congress Park is a nice spot as well. There is a major commerce/shopping district to the NE edge of Saratoga on Route 50. Crossgates Mall is also in Albany a short drive down the Northway.

What other kinds of information are ya looking for?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:19 AM

538 posts, read 2,458,040 times
Default What is it like there?

I am also looking to relocate to Saratoga County within 9 months - 1 year. I'm leaning toward living in the Town of Saratoga, but also have much interest in Malta, Stillwater, Schyulerville, Ballston Spa, Ballston Lake, Clifton Park, and recently, Broadalbin (which is in Fulton County). I also have not ruled out Glens Falls or Queensbury, but it depends on how far a commute to Albany this would be. Basically, I'm looking for a newer house (1980's and up) with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms on 1/2 acre or more. I've been seeing these homes for sale around $180k - $250k, although I will have to stay below $200k.

We are a young family, I am 29 and my wife is 26. We want to have kids soon. We are looking for a suburban/rural town, low crime, good schools, and a reasonable cost of living. I am certain I can find this in Saratoga County, as I traveled the area extensively when I went to college in Vermont and I was positive that it was the area I want to live in going forward. My wife loves Saratoga, and I am leaning towards Ballston Spa- what a beautiful downtown!

Can anyone on here give us any information on what it is like to live here? We both enjoy cold weather and snow, so that is not a problem. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 AM

59 posts, read 325,295 times
Default Go for Stillwater

If you enjoy cold weather and snow, you'll love Saratoga County. I went to Stillwater schools K-12 and enjoyed it. A small mixed-collar town. The schools are pretty good, but are getting very political, like most! I always did envy what i'd be like in BSpa schools or some other bigger school districts tho. In Stillwater, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Lot of space! Yards are huge! You're 15 minutes from Downtown Saratoga and 15 minutes from Clifton Park with an additional 10-15 to Albany. I did enjoy living there. You will get a big community environment. Typical small town, everyone knows everyone and they watch out for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area