Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 10:36 AM

70 posts, read 251,680 times

Advertisements

Does Albany have any swimming holes, mountains/hills to hike that are closer than 30 minutes? If not how far are they? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:35 AM

70 posts, read 251,680 times
Okay....I guess noone knows. Here is what I have found so far- Thacher State Park looks cool from the website, and Pinbush preserve....that's all I got so far.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Thatcher Park is pretty awesome; there are some hiking trails there. I'd say it's about 30 minutes from downtown, maybe less. If you got sick of that you can go to the Adirondacks, which is a longer drive, but becoming a "46er" (one who climbs all 46 peaks) is a distinctive honor around here.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM

267 posts, read 971,431 times
Sure there's tons of outdoor stuff to do. Here are a few links that will help out. There are outdoor clubs to join as well that I'd imagine know even more activities in the area. Here's what comes to mind at the moment:

New York State Parks :: State Parks
LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near U.S. Metropolitan Areas
Hudson-Mohawk Group Outings
Parks & Trails New York - working to expand, protect and promote a network of parks, trails and open spaces throughout our state for use and enjoyment by all

Some of my favorite hike/walks close by are:

Lisha Kill Nature Preserve, Niskayuna
Five Rivers, Delmar
Plotter Kill, Rotterdam
Indian Kill Nature Preserve, Glenville
Christman Sanctuary, Duansburg

Some a bit further away, more like an hour
Vroman's Nose, further away, can't remember the town
Buck Mtn
Hadley Hill

Swimming:
State Parks, Grafton, Moreau, & several others
SwimmingHoles.info Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors skinny dipping
Metroland Online - Summer Guide 2003

Best Swimming Hole - According to metroland.com best of 2005
Metroland Online - Best of 2005 - Readers Poll

1. Grafton State Park

2. Sacandaga Lake

3. Poestenkill Gorge

There's also a pond in Scotia for swimming, for a fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area