Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,184 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I'm very aware of what the area is like...it has it's bright spots and quite a few considerably less bright spots. I appreciate the Job Info; I suspected it would be hard for me to find a job...we just weren't sure about my husband. Thanks again for replying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
Good luck in whatever you decide. If you have supportive friends and family here, that's half the battle.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 AM

68 posts, read 120,047 times
I knew lots of teachers in the Saratoga area....they were all working in the restaurants I was accounting for. All they did was complain about not being able to get teaching jobs and all had their master's. It was unfortunate to see them go through the job search and come up empty.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathybrj;26012u439
I knew lots of teachers in the Saratoga area....they were all working in the restaurants I was accounting for. All they did was complain about not being able to get teaching jobs and all had their master's. It was unfortunate to see them go through the job search and come up empty.
This is unfortunately the case ALMOST EVERYWHERE. Not just in Albany/Upstate. I got my Masters in 1991 and there were very few teaching jobs unless you knew someone. The trend is to graduate too many starry eyed kids from Ed. programs and most of them will never work in a classroom. I know several teacher who drive buses, wait tables, gave up the profession, or just do nanny work.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,228 times
I've heard the rumors about the tech valley, but I don't know of any booming tech industry in the area. The only industry that has gotten a lot of attention is Global Foundries and the nanotechnology research. But to work in nanotechnology you need to have either a physics or engineering degree, not IT.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
This is unfortunately the case ALMOST EVERYWHERE. Not just in Albany/Upstate. I got my Masters in 1991 and there were very few teaching jobs unless you knew someone. The trend is to graduate too many starry eyed kids from Ed. programs and most of them will never work in a classroom. I know several teacher who drive buses, wait tables, gave up the profession, or just do nanny work.
I met a girl back in the late 90's who spent 3 years working on her master's. She wasn't in any rush because She couldn't find a job that whole time. She was waitressing at a bakery/cafe. At the time, I thought that was really sad and wondered if she had decent grades. Nowadays, no one is getting hired. Seems like every school district in the country is laying off teachers.

Part of the problem the Albany area has had for years is that there's too many local colleges that offer education degrees. You've got St Rose and education is their big push and something like half their enrollment. UAlbany, Sage in Albany, Russell Sage in Troy, Skidmore, even Oneonta which isn't far away and has a ton of education majors there. Even SUNY Cobleskill has a bachelor's program in early childhood ed and that's mostly an ag school. Then there's all the associate degree programs that help feed into the 4 year schools. That's a lot of places to get a degree in education in a small area!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM

I agree. I didn't move up here for a job (my husband did).

I know NY in general is pretty saturated with teachers. I think you can probably count out most of the Northeast as well.

I am not knowledgeable about the South or West.

I think too many people have too many similar degrees all over the country.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I met a girl back in the late 90's who spent 3 years working on her master's. She wasn't in any rush because She couldn't find a job that whole time. She was waitressing at a bakery/cafe. At the time, I thought that was really sad and wondered if she had decent grades. Nowadays, no one is getting hired. Seems like every school district in the country is laying off teachers.

Part of the problem the Albany area has had for years is that there's too many local colleges that offer education degrees. You've got St Rose and education is their big push and something like half their enrollment. UAlbany, Sage in Albany, Russell Sage in Troy, Skidmore, even Oneonta which isn't far away and has a ton of education majors there. Even SUNY Cobleskill has a bachelor's program in early childhood ed and that's mostly an ag school. Then there's all the associate degree programs that help feed into the 4 year schools. That's a lot of places to get a degree in education in a small area!
Where is it written that if you invest in a degree that a job will be waiting? There too often is a perception that because whoever got the degree than they should be able to find a job, especially teachers. Too many times I hear this with educators and I am getting tired of it. College especially graduate degrees are an investment and like any investment you should do your homework. If the local market (or that you anticipate to live in) has limited openings in your field than is that degree worth it? Each user has to ask that question and if your choosing a field that soemone has to die in order for an opening to occure than pray for a distaster.

Albany is not alone in the volume of area schools, we have 7 within 1 hour that offer degrees in teaching and even more if we cast the net a little farther. Students today need to take a hard look and determine if they will come out of college with marketable skills... If not then they should re-evaluate what is the best path to take.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Where is it written that if you invest in a degree that a job will be waiting? There too often is a perception that because whoever got the degree than they should be able to find a job, especially teachers. Too many times I hear this with educators and I am getting tired of it. College especially graduate degrees are an investment and like any investment you should do your homework. If the local market (or that you anticipate to live in) has limited openings in your field than is that degree worth it? Each user has to ask that question and if your choosing a field that soemone has to die in order for an opening to occure than pray for a distaster.

Albany is not alone in the volume of area schools, we have 7 within 1 hour that offer degrees in teaching and even more if we cast the net a little farther. Students today need to take a hard look and determine if they will come out of college with marketable skills... If not then they should re-evaluate what is the best path to take.
I never said it was "written that if you invest in a degree that a job will be waiting." I think kids are nuts if they are going to school to become teachers right now. I think they're wasting their time and money. They KNOW there are NO jobs and there won't be for years. A lot of colleges push education as a great field. Great for who? They make money off tons of kids who end up with student loans up the wazoo and paying for that education until they're 50 and they end up waiting tables for 5 years until they realize they're never going to get a teaching job then they go get another master's degree in something else.

I do know a number of the colleges do tell students that there are jobs out there waiting for them. Maybe if you're willing to live in a crappy part of NYC or LA and teach at one of the worse schools in the country. My sister-in-law was told she could always get a job teaching if she was willing to relocate and she asked where to. She was told NYC or LA and it would be one of those Joe Clark kind of schools. Yeah, I want to go to school for 7 years so I can teach in a school where they have to chain the place up like Fort Knox! I'd rather be a janitor at Home Depot. Hey and you don't need to spend a fortune on college for that job!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
[quote=ss20ts;26045447]I never said it was "written that if you invest in a degree that a job will be waiting." I think kids are nuts if they are going to school to become teachers right now. I think they're wasting their time and money. They KNOW there are NO jobs and there won't be for years. A lot of colleges push education as a great field. Great for who? They make money off tons of kids who end up with student loans up the wazoo and paying for that education until they're 50 and they end up waiting tables for 5 years until they realize they're never going to get a teaching job then they go get another master's degree in something else.

I do know a number of the colleges do tell students that there are jobs out there waiting for them. Maybe if you're willing to live in a crappy part of NYC or LA and teach at one of the worse schools in the country. My sister-in-law was told she could always get a job teaching if she was willing to relocate and she asked where to. She was told NYC or LA and it would be one of those Joe Clark kind of schools. Yeah, I want to go to school for 7 years so I can teach in a school where they have to chain the place up like Fort Knox! I'd rather be a janitor at Home Depot. Hey and you don't need to spend a fortune on college for that job! [/QUOTE]

And you get employee discount.. My next career will be at Lowes part time for the discount and quality time away from the wife (she'll work at Walmart).

With teachers everywhere they think there should be a job available because they finished their degree. I realize many are in an area because of a spouses job/relocation but perhaps they should consider how it effects their employability before accepting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area