Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjolein View Post
I have been living in Fl since 1992 and I am looking for options in other states (thinking of Co or Ny; it is hot most of the year here, and I find it very uninspiring (boring) here. There is not that much to do here unless you're into fishing, which I am not.
Perhaps Glens Falls or Sarayoga Springs. Ithaca in the Finger Lakes region might work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 13,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
Half of my family live in Florida and every year around holiday time I toy with the idea of moving there. I really like Saratoga Springs though miss the comfort of family. Anyone out there move to Florida and then back to NY?
I moved to Florida over a year ago and do regret the move. I am considering moving back to upstate NY. There are many factors to consider. If you enjoy anything with arts and culture- Florida is not the place. Only Sarasota comes close to having any arts or culture.
As far as scenery, Florida may be lush with vegetation but I don't see many flowers. Even though NY has a short season -each season has so many colors- it never seems to get boring.
Now, I don't have any set statistics- just going by my gut instincts. But it seems to me there is way more crime and Wack-a-doos here in Florida. ANd not that I am listening to local news, but it appears that most crime in Florida is making national news!
Your political views may matter too. Northern Florida- conservative, southern Florida- more liberal.
ANd lastly, the heat. Plan on the back of your neck to be sweaty from June till October even in your A/C house. Forget the pool- it won't be refreshing.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM

130 posts, read 426,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriljem View Post
ANd lastly, the heat. Plan on the back of your neck to be sweaty from June till October even in your A/C house. Forget the pool- it won't be refreshing.
I visit Florida every year for the month of July and have not had this happen, so maybe you need to adjust your thermostat and stop exagerating.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM

275 posts, read 793,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
I visit Florida every year for the month of July and have not had this happen, so maybe you need to adjust your thermostat and stop exagerating.
No exaggeration. Been here over 31 years. Mostly hot here from May until the end of October. And July is definitely one of the worst. I can certainly adjust my thermostat for my house. But why do we stay indoors in July down here? Because after 10AM, the back of your neck gets hot and sweaty just standing around.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM

9 posts, read 70,165 times
Quote:
Half of my family live in Florida and every year around holiday time I toy with the idea of moving there. I really like Saratoga Springs though miss the comfort of family. Anyone out there move to Florida and then back to NY?

I can kind of relate to this, I was born and raised in Bklyn NY, After H.s, my mother moved us down to Broward county..I liked the diversity, but that was about it. I couldn't stand the constant heat, the length of time you had to be in a car to get to your destination and the people...It was just a different vibe. Now i've been here 8 years, which shows, I gave it a chance..I have a steady job at Publix and I recently bought a condo in the Tamarac area..but I'm still not finding happiness here..maybe it's me. I'm a laid back person but I also like to do interesting things, see nice sights and experience different cultures etc..I often find myself after work driving deep down into Miami to see REAL neighborhoods..Although alot has changed since I got here in 03 ie..faster bus service, more walkability in certain neighborhoods,,it feels like too little too late...so now i'm strongly considering a move back to NY or the NE area....I'm a bit nervous because although i've been back numerous times visiting...it has still been 8 years....so to ansewr ur question...I moved from NY to FL and I will probably move back. If you are planning to move out here...hopefully you are not that picky and can adapt to any kind of enviorment...

Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
We moved out of Albany in '99 and I spent 8 years in S Florida. After 34 years in my hometown it was quite a culture shock.

My biggest adjustment was the traffic, double Albany's rush hour and that's 2 PM in ft Lauderdale.

Next biggest adjustment was the heat, South Florida's not as bad as the middle of the State (Orlando) because of the coastal breezes, but I still wouldn't want to work outside.

I didn't hate living there, I met some really good people, my Wife + kids loved it. but in the end I started craving 4 seasons without the extreems of the Albany winters.

We settled on the Charlotte Metro and the earlier posters are right, it's not cheaper thean Albany even with the lower taxes.

My wife hates Kannapolis, she feels like she's surounded by religious fanatics.

I work in Charlotte and I have't experienced that at all.

We'll probably leave when the kids are 18.

But I doubt well be heading home (Albany will always be home to me) too coldBeautiful in the Summer though

I miss the Adirondacks

Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
One of my good friends did this. He lived in Albany, NY with me and then moved to Orlando with his mother. They moved back a couple of years ago.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 AM

13 posts, read 66,800 times
This is the best advice visit during the worst time of the year a& have family there so live with them for a while as local before you make the decision. I did this just once bought a house didn't know area of home built on was infected with territorial termites, had pool added then a fence than more ins dollars & spent most of time in side ,because to hot to be out.Sun dissipated chemicals in pool became high dollar maintenance cost plus went to register car for Fla & had to pay the tax on the car value to Fla before I could register it. OH! let me add moved into my new home ,but little did I know that I couldn't put up a small wooden fence around rose bush's in front of house & no parking of your boat in your driveway or camper they have to be stored at a storage place unless you live in the middle of no place can you do this in Fla. among other rules this area had

Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 39,884 times
I'd be interested in reading more stories about this as we are from ny and thinking about FL.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbound5 View Post
I'd be interested in reading more stories about this as we are from ny and thinking about FL.
Suggest you rent for a few months before moving. We take RV to FL for a couple of months in winter from upstate and always are happy to return to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area