Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:56 AM

382 posts, read 1,532,942 times

Advertisements

My sister and her husband live in Delmar which is in the Town of Bethlem (south of the city of Albany) I was just there and really liked it. They have a great town park with 3 pools and tennis courts. A great nature preserve called 5 Creeks or something like that. The Albany Medical Center is less than 20 minutes away, too. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:12 PM

275 posts, read 794,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
O Yankee, not really, market value in Subdivisions right now is about $ 140 per square foot, the market held up pretty well in Saratoga CT, Warren Ct did have some decline. G. Falls has really nice homes starting at 185K in Town ( you would have to work a bit on them) Its all in what you like 300K will get you a pristine town home right now.
Subdivisions in Queensburry/ Saratoga start at $ 225 to 600 K its all about the money. taxes for a 350K ,2700 square foot home, range from 6 to 8 K, about 4 to 6 in town.
This doesn't compute with what I am seeing. Using a tax rate table from the Rochester newspaper (Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/?cnty - broken link)) , taxes on a 350K house in Glens Falls would run 9k - 11k while a 350K house in the town of Saratoga would run 6k - 13k (top cost being for village of Schuylerville. That is why I am wondering if they truly appraise houses at full market value upstate. I think this tax table from the paper assumes full market value. At a property tax of close to 13k, not many people upstate would be able to afford that. Even for NY!!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:02 AM

93,817 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
This doesn't compute with what I am seeing. Using a tax rate table from the Rochester newspaper (Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/?cnty - broken link)) , taxes on a 350K house in Glens Falls would run 9k - 11k while a 350K house in the town of Saratoga would run 6k - 13k (top cost being for village of Schuylerville. That is why I am wondering if they truly appraise houses at full market value upstate. I think this tax table from the paper assumes full market value. At a property tax of close to 13k, not many people upstate would be able to afford that. Even for NY!!
Keep in mind that those numbers are on average. So, some might be less and some might actually be higher.

Also, don't forget to fight the assessment. I think many people forget to do that and it could lower your tax rate. Look into the STAR programa nd if you are a VET, that helps as well.

Lastly, you might get enough house at a lower price in Upstate NY. So, what might cost 350k in FL, you could possibly get a similarly sized home for a lower price.

Are you stuck on that area of Upstate NY or would you consider other areas as well?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 AM

93,817 posts, read 124,552,237 times
After looking at that list, I'm wondering if there are actually any 350k homes in the city of Glens Falls, to be honest? Considering you would pay less in taxes in Queensbury, which is really the only suburban like community in that area, why not look there? Even very nice Lake George pays much less in taxes.

Also, Saratoga Springs has lower taxes than the town of Saratoga. That would be a nice alternative due to the fact there is quite a bit to do in SS. Villages tend to get a higher tax rate due to overlapping of services too. So, you could look at properties just outside of village limits and the tax rate would be lower.

Here's a good website that gives you an idea of what you can get for the price range you are looking for within Upstate NY: Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM

275 posts, read 794,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
After looking at that list, I'm wondering if there are actually any 350k homes in the city of Glens Falls, to be honest? Considering you would pay less in taxes in Queensbury, which is really the only suburban like community in that area, why not look there? Even very nice Lake George pays much less in taxes.

Also, Saratoga Springs has lower taxes than the town of Saratoga. That would be a nice alternative due to the fact there is quite a bit to do in SS. Villages tend to get a higher tax rate due to overlapping of services too. So, you could look at properties just outside of village limits and the tax rate would be lower.

Here's a good website that gives you an idea of what you can get for the price range you are looking for within Upstate NY: Upstate New York Real Estate
Queensbury and the areas outside of the city of Saratoga Springs were exactly where I was looking. We would prefer to be fairly close to Lake George. The taxes in LG seems to go against my thinking that tourist/resort areas have higher taxes. It seems that the school taxes for the Lake George school district are actually lower than surrounding areas. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM

79 posts, read 264,255 times
I was wondering if anyone knew where to find zoning maps for Glens Falls. In a perfect world we would find a house that we could start a home based business in, instead of having to rent a separate store front. So I was wondering if anyone knew what areas we would have to look in to do that, or if there are maps to show what types of business could be run from what properties. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:01 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,692,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67 View Post
I do admit that the winters are easier to get through but I feel I have traded to much to just have an easy winter. I also miss skiing and snowboarding alot, so at least I will have activities to do in the winter upstate.
Last year in Saratoga we had a lot less snow than they had in MD and DC. At least upstate knows how to deal with snow! LOL

Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj67 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew where to find zoning maps for Glens Falls. In a perfect world we would find a house that we could start a home based business in, instead of having to rent a separate store front. So I was wondering if anyone knew what areas we would have to look in to do that, or if there are maps to show what types of business could be run from what properties. Thanks.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

City of Glens Falls Atlas Set

Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind that those numbers are on average. So, some might be less and some might actually be higher.

Also, don't forget to fight the assessment. I think many people forget to do that and it could lower your tax rate. Look into the STAR programa nd if you are a VET, that helps as well.

Lastly, you might get enough house at a lower price in Upstate NY. So, what might cost 350k in FL, you could possibly get a similarly sized home for a lower price.

Are you stuck on that area of Upstate NY or would you consider other areas as well?
CKTHANKGOD makes some good points. If at least one of you are 65 yrs old and you meet the income levels, and/or a veteran you can get a reduction in your taxes. As I mentioned in another post to ORLANDOYANKEE, there are many small villages/towns on the outskirts of Saratoga Springs (Schuylerville, Moreau, Northunderland, Balston Spa, etc.) still within easy distance of LG.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM

263 posts, read 626,913 times
Why dont you look at some real estate websites? lots of houses in Glens falls and all other areas. You can wait a few years till the AMD chip plant opens in Malta, prices will move up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area