Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,464 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Well first off I am new to the forum.
I have a bit of a problem & I'm trying to decide what to do.

Let me first off tell you I have been to Alaska twice and it is the most beautiful state I've ever seen.
I am debating if I should move to Alaska or just vacation.

I am a avid firearms nut, I've been shooting since my first .22 rifle at age 5.
Weather it be range shooting or survival I've done it and love to live outdoors and live on my own.

I'm currently 17 and live in Wichita, KS, My only interest is working, Nature and firearms.

The reason I am thinking about moving to Alaska is one I love nature and living outdoors, The other surviving outdoor and then the beautiful scenery.

My plan was to move to Alaska with about 2-3K to live off for a small time, Find a job and on my spare time hiking, camping survival etc...
I just graduated school last week one year early and my life is wide open for my choosing.

As far as work, I worked on a farm for most of my life. Worked for everything I got today. More of a labor worker then sitting behind a computer. Just the way I like it whether it be working at a scrap yard, fishing or help my dad run his tree business.

So what do you folks think I should do, I am really interested in moving and I know it will be tough financially wise but I accept that.
On the other hand I don't wanna move out there and something go bad and then I am homeless.
As far as vacation if I was to vacation and hike-survival I would like it to be a one month vacation which would be hard to get a month off work if you know what I mean.

So fill me with your opinions.
Hope to here from you soon.

Shelby,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 AM

218 posts, read 518,280 times
I say do it, move up there in April, go down to the Princess Rail offices in Anchorage and get a job there working for them on the train as a dishwasher or something, you'll probably find an apartment to split with a couple guys on the train and get plenty of time off to go hiking/exploring on days off. The biggest thing about getting a job is looking and talking respectable. Don't show up in worn out jeans and a hoody to make a first impression. Good luck man, let us know what you plan. Oh and if you do come up always keep enough cash on hand to get out of dodge if you need to (plane ticket home would probably cost ya $300-400), don't wind up in a bad situation.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
I say do it, move up there in April, go down to the Princess Rail offices in Anchorage and get a job there working for them on the train as a dishwasher or something, you'll probably find an apartment to split with a couple guys on the train and get plenty of time off to go hiking/exploring on days off. The biggest thing about getting a job is looking and talking respectable. Don't show up in worn out jeans and a hoody to make a first impression. Good luck man, let us know what you plan. Oh and if you do come up always keep enough cash on hand to get out of dodge if you need to (plane ticket home would probably cost ya $300-400), don't wind up in a bad situation.
Thank you " quakinator " for the post.
I still need to do a lot of thinking and planning before I go but if I do go it will be sometime in 2011, After I am 18 years of age.
My plan right now is to just work and save up for about a year or whenever I decided to go.
I don't wanna wait a few months and without enough money to Alaska on my own just because I was impatient.
I'm oing to get everything I need and the amount I think I should take.

Shelby,

Old 12-19-2009, 03:35 AM

109 posts, read 335,198 times
i would plan it as a vacation first, then while you are here you can look for a job and a place to live. everything is more expensive here, so 3k will barely be enough to move here, let alone be able to live off of. if you want to rent a place to live, you have to remember you need money for 1st months rent, if not 1st and last months rent, plus a security deposit. your lookin at spending half of your 3k just in the 1st month. then the other half will be close to being spent on food and gas for a month. moving up here on a whim at 17 is not a good idea. plus im not even sure anyone will rent a place to live to a 17 year old. i'm not trying to be a downer, just realistic. search the forums for other posts on moving up here. you will find a lot of very useful info. your idea to vacation here and be in the woods "survival" style may not be a good idea either. game isnt always easy to come by. and if you eat the wrong berrys you die. rent the movie into the wild, he thought he was prepared, but he wasnt. oh, and if you want to drive up, you will need a note from your parents saying its ok just to cross the canadian border, you will also need a passport. have you lived on your own yet or do you still live with your parents. if you havent, i would suggest living on your own were you are first. then in a couple years if you still want to move here, plan your move carefully, come up and get a job and place to stay lined up and make your move. again, not tryin to be a downer, just a realist. hope it all works out for you what ever you decide.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Lone Traveler?

Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
No. This isn't Lone Traveler. This is just another kid that's tired of being stuck in a place with dead end jobs or no jobs with scenery that sucks.

Kid, save up your money, come up this summer and get a seasonal job at one of the touristy places. Work hard, apply for any permanent year round job you can find and it will all work out.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:44 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Don't take your guns to town son...leave your guns at home boy...don't...take your guns to town.

Pretty much any of the coastal towns have canneries. Might be work there during the summer. You might pick up some labor work in the bigger towns like Anchorage or Fairbanks. We can't make the decision on moving or vacationing. Thats going to be in your hands. And your going to have to consider how you'd ship any firearms if you brought any. Surviving. Hmmm...well if your going to trek around in the woods for the summer...keep in mind things like berries won't be ripe until fall, fish will be running in most rivers or streams, most wildlife will have young to raise so you don't really want to be shooting critters in mid-summer unless it's an act of pure survival, some of those same critters will see you as a food source as much as you do them. Seriously consider taking the vacation, travel around a bit and get to know some folks, poke around for some work, do some hiking and camping and get the feel for the place. There are a number of different climates and terrains throughout the state. Find one that you like.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
here's a thought young gun.

why don't you come up get into UAA/UAF and get into a training program that will give you a skill or better yet a license. you can roam where you want and make some dough ray me when ever and wherever you want.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:09 AM

39 posts, read 74,701 times
Actually It would be better to read the book "Into the Wild". Much more informative and less glorified than the movie. Yeah that guy died from eating berries but he sure did well for awhile. Anyway that's a whole different discussion. Read Into the Wild, and Alaska by James Michener while you are waiting to turn 18.

I just moved from Kansas myself Wichita is depressing I can see why you want to leave. Definitely not a hiker or camper paradise.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Uh oh.

Stiff and quakinator are absolutely right, lots of seasonal opportunities that will give you a good chance to see part of the state and look around for year round work. You can apply at Princess and a lot of other places online, look here:

CoolWorks.com - Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places

Most of these places provide employee housing. And if you get a job with Princess or another corporation, let them pay for your plane ticket because they get corporate rates. They'll still take it out of your check but it will cost you less than if you bought the ticket yourself.

Going to school as another poster suggested is a great idea but keep in mind that out of state tuition is prohibitive. A lot of young people your age work in Alaska to help pay for college in their home states, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska