Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 52,121 times

Advertisements

I live in Tampa Fl. Last year I found a remote lodge above the Arctic circle and applied for employment. Bettles Lodge offered me a position in writing via email for the winter season from the dates of 12/1 through 4/30/09- The pay was 1800 per month with room and board was included. This turned out to be a scam and I want to make certain this happens to no one else. I arrived in Bettles on 11/30. The owners were out of town and I had the owners daughter to contend with. The job I was hired for was Front Desk/gift shop. The official title was "Indoor all Around" ... My first day I spent shoveling snow all day- My second day was spent putting up Christmas decorations...My third day was back breaking. I was taking inventory outside in minus 30 degree weather followed by meeting a plane and unloading 2,000 pounds of dog food onto a truck. I never once complained. The next few days was spent moping floors and cleaning toilets and doing dishes. I never said a word because I loved being up there. On day 7.... I asked the owners daughter for feedback as to how I was doing. She was very nice. She said she was glad I was there and that I was doing a great job. She apologized profusely for not being around more to give me direction, but said I was doing great. On day 10 she asked me to hang a wreath outside. When she handed the wreath over to me I remarked that it was lovely. She asked if we put up a lot of decorations back home in FL. I told her I am Jewish so we don't really decorate. Her demeanor turned icy cold in that one instant. At lunch that day she called me into her office. She said it was not working out. She stated that she needs a tight knit crew to work with her this season and "Jewish wasn't going to cut it". I was floored. She then went on to say the plane leaves in 30 minutes and she demanded I was packed up and on that plane. I asked about my paycheck. She said she spoke with her Mom and there was a travel voucher waiting for me back to Florida at the Fairbanks Airport and that was going to "serve as my pay". I said absolutely not. She told me I had no choice followed with a "Sue me"....Please note: I was in a town of a pop: 6. She would not let employees use the phone, there was no Internet, and I was at her mercy. When she refused to pay me I threatened her with the Alaska Board of Labor. She said her dad was the mayor of Bettles and that it would get me nowhere. Ok, now here is where it gets very ugly....The plane out that day was canceled due to poor weather. The owners daughter would not let me back into the living quarters because she said they had problems in the past with terminated employees vandalizing their property. She was perplexed as what to do with me so she called her Mom, and her Mom told her to make me sleep in the garage (NO HEAT Minus 33 degrees below zero) I had to huddle under 6 blankets for warmth and I am not exaggerating when I tell you I nearly froze to death. The next morning I was on the plane to Fairbanks. Upon arrival I tried to buy my own ticket back to Tampa. Everything was booked solid that day. I then told the agent I should have a ticket voucher waiting for me- There was. A ticket to Orlando. I told the agent I need to go to Tampa. She told me the person who arranged my ticket did not pay for it but rather used air miles.... Alaska Airlines only flies to Orlando and so that is where I had to go. . I called Bettles and was told "take a bus we have done enough" and hung up on. I worked my butt off up there for nearly two weeks. Was fired without reason, treated poorly, and I feel abused. I kid you not when I tell you everything I write here is without exaggeration. I have gone on the EEOC web site but I am reading they will not take action against a company with less then 15 employees. Bettles Lodge only has 4 employees. I have printed forms to file with the Alaska Labor Board to get my paycheck, but it's a slow process. I feel so victimized and don't want anyone else to have to go through what I just did. Please note: I spoke to the one other lodge in Bettles named "spirit Lodge" They claim that this is a common issue with Bettles Lodge and a joke with the locals. They are willing to credit my story as well. Do I have a legitimate lawsuit? Can anyone recommend an attorney in the Fairbanks area? I have been put through hell by these people.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:28 AM

179 posts, read 595,046 times
Your best bet is to call your Congressman, and working through our Don Young try to get it resolved with civility.
It appears that you have a strong case, but I doubt that there are any lawyers up here that can help you out. Plus, you have free resources available, why pay an attorney for a few weeks wages (we're talking time here, hard work is the norm).
The Alaskan legal system can be frustrating, especially in the interior - that's why we have guns and a mutual respect for each other. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.

The first week of December was a pretty busy one, are you sure that the owners were out of town?
newsminer.com • Brooks Range hiker rebuked for rescue

newsminer.com • Winter grizzly bears keep Alaska village on edge

Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
When you posted back in September you said you were moving to New Mexico sight unseen. What happened to that?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 52,121 times
You must have a lot of time on your hands there Pal. But since you asked....I did not take the job in ABQ as this position in the Arctic Circle was much more appealing.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyup View Post
You must have a lot of time on your hands there Pal.
It doesn't take too much time. All you have to do is click on your name and find all your posts.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:00 PM

70 posts, read 159,833 times
You sound bitter and unforgiving over the whole experience. I'd let it go and move on with life - two weeks of wages or about $900 isn't worth it, IMO. Just be thankful you got out there alive and home safely - they'll get what's coming to them in due time.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Looks like most of his/her (7) posts are specific to Alaska so I don't know what's up with the questioning....

do whatever you can legally to make these dirtbags take some responsibility for what they did to you.

I don't know what that would be; maybe start with the labor board.

And be sure to go on where they advertise and give a "review" of their business.

And if you see them advertising on Craig's List or coolworks....be sure and post something about your experiences with them so that other people will be warned.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,597 times
You have a case and you should pursue it. I don't think its about the wages so much as about the discrimination. That is disgusting and they have no right to treat anyone that way. This certainly won't be an easy fight if you choose to pursue it. I wish you well.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM

145 posts, read 570,729 times
One of my favorite quotes:

"What is right is right even when nobody is doing it. What is wrong is wrong even when everyone is doing it."

If you don't speak up, it will happen to others. Nobody has a right to treat others in this way. You may spend more than you recoup in wages, but in my opinion, it is the principal of the issue.

Good luck, and don't let the ba****ds wear you down.

Deb

Old 01-22-2009, 05:19 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
I just was curious why you choose Bettles over New Mexico. I've been to Bettles about a dozen times but always in the winter. Never got past the airport. Like some of the others have said you should pursue your claim with the Alaska Dept. of Labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska