Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times

Advertisements

Round roofs go best with round houses (or irregular or oval)... but an octagonal roof would go well too and ensure the entire structure has appropriate overhang.

Hubby and I are just tired of living in a box with straight lines and hard angles... cuz, ya know, it totally blocks our chi dude - Way! ROFL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
My brother showed a house last week and the lady didn't like it because it had bad Chi....her husband just shrugged.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 PM

A round roof wouldn't actually be too hard if you used a reciprocal roof design -- basically radial poles supported by posts on the outside and interlocking to support each other in the center (like box flaps).

This structural is very strong because the load is transferred to the posts and down to the ground... it's often used to support heavy sod roofs.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 01-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
My brother showed a house last week and the lady didn't like it because it had bad Chi....her husband just shrugged.
LOL! Some people can be pretty picky about the energy flow in their homes. For me, it's more the fact that you don't find that many perfectly straight shapes in nature and we want our homestead to just visually blend in with the woods and wildlife.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You might ask Jim Sykes in Palmer about his power system too. He lives off the grid in a strawbale house.
We are talking about this Jim Sykes, right? The founder of the Green Party of Alaska. Just don't want to be calling up the wrong guy here

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We are talking about this Jim Sykes, right? The founder of the Green Party of Alaska. Just don't want to be calling up the wrong guy here
Yep...I don't agree with him politically but he's a nice guy. And a greenie too.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Good deal. I'll see if that email address is still valid, I just feel funky calling up strangers out of the blue

Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
A round roof wouldn't actually be too hard if you used a reciprocal roof design -- basically radial poles supported by posts on the outside and interlocking to support each other in the center (like box flaps).

This structural is very strong because the load is transferred to the posts and down to the ground... it's often used to support heavy sod roofs.

Snow load would push outward on all the walls and possibly cause a collapse if you didn't have some ties on the bottom. Possible to do, but any building like this will be a maintenance hog.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Snow load would push outward on all the walls and possibly cause a collapse if you didn't have some ties on the bottom. Possible to do, but any building like this will be a maintenance hog.
Yes, I've seen some of the larger buildings (20 ft radius +) using a tension system.

Interesting. Why would you say it would be a maintenance hog? What do envision being the most common problems?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've seen some of the larger buildings (20 ft radius +) using a tension system.

Interesting. Why would you say it would be a maintenance hog? What do envision being the most common problems?
Not sure, but I am also one for doing things differently. When you break the mold and start from scratch you almost always learn a lot. That learning turns into maintenance.

Here is one possible problem. A round roof is going to have many radial planes instead of just two like a gable roof. In Alaska, the extreme temperature variations, (150 degrees between summer and winter in the Manley area), will cause the structural members to expand and contract. That can tend to crack whatever you use for roofing...and you will have many places for it do do so. It's not such a problem with just one plane like a shed roof, but the more seams that you have, the higher the chances of problems. Thats why the most effiecent roof is a shed roof.

Thats only a possibility. Its not possible to foresee all the problems. You will discover them from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska