Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:43 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times

Advertisements

I am interested in knowing if we have any mushers here. If we do would you be willing to share some photos? My son has taken a huge interest in mushing and I thought maybe some here were mushers and wouldn't mind telling people about their team and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Not here but on the AK forums at outdoorsdirectory there's a person (bushrat I think was his username) who runs a trapline with dogs instead of snowmachines somewhere in the bush. Should be pics there somewhere.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,088 times
Alaska Dog Mushing - Alaska Outdoors Forums
here you go

Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
I am interested in knowing if we have any mushers here. If we do would you be willing to share some photos? My son has taken a huge interest in mushing and I thought maybe some here were mushers and wouldn't mind telling people about their team and stuff like that.
I'm an ex-dog musher. I can answer basic questions. I grew up in the bush Pre-snomachine era. Yes...I'm that old. We had to use dogs.

And then I had my own dog team for awhile, trapped with dogs some too.

I'm not much into racing but do follow the long distance races.

In my opinion there is no better Alaskan experience than running dogs alone by moonlight on a still, cold, Alaska night. It's magical to stand on the runners watching the moonlight glinting off the snow crystals while your swish almost silently over the trail.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 PM

Gee Marty you should be writing for the movies that was beautiful. Thanks for the links.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
I agree, I can picture it perfectly

Old 10-16-2008, 02:10 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
Gee Marty you should be writing for the movies that was beautiful. Thanks for the links.
Gee....thanks. Or is that gee...haw!

Not sure how old or large your child is but you can start with just one dog. Even if he is fully grown you can use one dog with skis. Use cross-country skis and poles with a long line between you and the dog. Make sure to get a good fitting harness. Also, use a bungee cord on the tow rope to take up the shock. Start out slowly and it will work out.

Or if you have access to a sled, one dog and child works fine too. You should be able to pick up a decent sled dog for free up in your neck of the woods. For sure, don't get more than 3 dogs at the beginning.

It's a great sport for keeping away cabin fever.

Don't get too many dogs right away. A dog team is a lot of work and will tie you down. You have to take care of them every day. But when you get out on the trail and everything is working fine you will think it's all worth it.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:59 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Don't get too many dogs right away. A dog team is a lot of work and will tie you down. You have to take care of them every day.
...And nosy neighbors will often get their undergarments in a twist. In fact, many neighborhood covenants are written to prevent such things. Best to check to be sure if you're OK.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
...And nosy neighbors will often get their undergarments in a twist. In fact, many neighborhood covenants are written to prevent such things. Best to check to be sure if you're OK.
I'd be willing to bet that Central, AK has no neighborhood covenants.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 PM

Yeah no convenants here and NO neighbors for a little more than 1 mile. My son is 17 and he is already paying on a sled and equipment from a person who used to mush (getting a pretty good deal to I must say) He is currently skiing with 2 dogs 1 gee/haw leader and 1 young dog. We also have 2 pups for next year. He got his skis thanks to the transfer site down in Fairbanks. He is really into this,I'm pretty impressed. He cooks for the dogs,exercises them,and does all care for them,I supervise but he calls them his dogs and I can see a bond growing between them. He has a stack of mushing books that he has been reading and just started the first Trapline Twins book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska