Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:38 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times

Advertisements

Well, I usually don't bring up this topic BUT...man, oh man, it's hard to date around this place!

I always said I would NEVER consider using a computer to find a date but I'm at about my wits end here on the rock. Are there any reputable sites out there specifically for Alaska that aren't just meat markets?? I probably will never use one but lately I'm tempted...

The old saying "the odds are good but the goods are odd" rings very true around here; 2 summer experiences have reinforced that adage for me.

How the HECK do you find a good guy who's not already taken around here, Alaskan ladies??? And I'm sure there are some guys out there asking the same question, vs. vs.
*sigh* I'm not usually all about melodrama or romance at all, by the way...must be something in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
LOL, I am so sorry to laugh. LOL.

Get off the rock; you'll never find anyone there. And please do not allow yourself to become desperate or you could end up with someone like Larry T.

Can you get off to Ketchikan for a weekend once a month or so? They give POW residents a discount at the Narrows. There seems to be more quality types of people over there your age.

And keep working really hard on relocating to another part of the state. You've got a lot going for you; youth, intelligence, so you're going to stand out to anyone really worthwhile--but then, you're on POW. It's an okay place to be for a lot of reasons, but single people can have a rough time there.

It's going to be long winter, I know.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-23-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 AM

LOL I know, Met, I am laughing at myself right now; it's either laugh hysterically or cry, so I choose to laugh...I'm in such a wierd mood about romance right now. Must be getting lonely in my approaching middle-age. And I know POW is pretty tough in this way--met several guys but wow--lots of drug/alcohol problems around here, or--they are great but married.

The thing is...I am pretty darn eligible; I have a good job, dependable, decent-looking, and LOVE fishing, hunting, traveling, etc. I even own a nice skiff! You'd think I could find someone, but then, I'd expect about the same kind of profile and that seems a bit more difficult. I don't care about money but a job is a must.

I can get to Ketchikan--however, prices are up to almost $100.00 for a round-trip walk on now, so it's a bit harder. Ketchikan kinda scares me romance-wise...it's such a transitory place. I have been looking into jobs in other areas so maybe...awww, shucks.

Thanks for commiserating!

At least the sun is out!!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Hey, I'm the one whose approaching middle age, not you. You're still a pup, I think. At least wait until the hot flashes have you feeling like you've been slinging down straight shots of testosterone and you just want to shoot something before you classify yourself as that...

I know what you mean about Ketchikan; but winter socializing is different there, its when you meet the real people.

You probably get "hit on" a lot by locals and you've probably had to develop a "don't even think about it" type of attitude in order to keep people like Larry T. from getting all worked up thinking he as a snowball's chance and becoming a major annoyance in your life. The worst case scenario here would be if Larry T. or one of his counterparts started telling everyone in town that he is your boyfriend, which of course has the potential to completely destroy your social stock in various unsavory ways.

The problem the ice queen veneer that must be cultivated in order to keep the wrong sort at bay is that it can stick with you in situations where it really isn't in your best interests.

But what do I know. My last relationship was on POW, but it wasn't with a local. It was okay but the man had two wives in a couple of different places or some such, hell I don't know. It was fun though and he was quite a guy.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
LOL I know, Met, I am laughing at myself right now; it's either laugh hysterically or cry, so I choose to laugh...I'm in such a wierd mood about romance right now. Must be getting lonely in my approaching middle-age. And I know POW is pretty tough in this way--met several guys but wow--lots of drug/alcohol problems around here, or--they are great but married.

The thing is...I am pretty darn eligible; I have a good job, dependable, decent-looking, and LOVE fishing, hunting, traveling, etc. I even own a nice skiff! You'd think I could find someone, but then, I'd expect about the same kind of profile and that seems a bit more difficult. I don't care about money but a job is a must.

I can get to Ketchikan--however, prices are up to almost $100.00 for a round-trip walk on now, so it's a bit harder. Ketchikan kinda scares me romance-wise...it's such a transitory place. I have been looking into jobs in other areas so maybe...awww, shucks.

Thanks for commiserating!

At least the sun is out!!
It wasn't a whole lot different in Kodiak. The guys that did the most chasing were unfortunately the ones who looked [and smelled] like they'd spent the past year making out with their diesel engines. There were some exceptions, though, and I found 3 of them. Two didn't work out for various reasons, the last one did, and I got two great kids from one of hte others. And there was plenty of time for fun with the not-quite-so-eligible ones, the ones who had a fiancee back home, or something like that. I did avoid the ones I knew were married, though.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Heheh, yes, I admit I've had my fun in the past...but now that I'm looking for a steady, committed (eek, there's that scary word) relationship, pickins are slim. Ah well.

Thanks, ladies--it's good to talk to folks who understand my predicament.

Hey, Met--I used to play the saxophone and am thinking about having my horn shipped up here finally. I think there's some kind of casual group of folks who get together to jam somewhere in Ketchikan--ever heard of such a thing? Maybe I'll try to get over there a few times this winter.

And you're right...I'm still pretty darn young, I guess. Had an aunt that once told me if I wasn't married by 30, I never would be.

To top this all off, my doctor just told me I have a condition where I can't drink any alcohol anymore, so I'm a bit depressed at the moment. Hopefully I'll get in a better mind frame soon!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
To top this all off, my doctor just told me I have a condition where I can't drink any alcohol anymore
OMFG that is horrible news. Get a second opinion as soon as you can.

Quote:
I think there's some kind of casual group of folks who get together to jam somewhere in Ketchikan--ever heard of such a thing?
Never heard of it though Ketchikan is a large enough community that something like this probably takes place.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Yeah, no kidding! It's like, a condition where you can DIE, dude!
Pancreatitis, it's called. Simply effing wonderful. No rhyme or reason for it, either...I wasn't THAT heavy of a drinker ('cept in my early 20's I guess). Oh well. This actually might be very good for me in several ways. I will not be able to self-medicate my lonlieness away and will have to fill some time with more productive activities.

Yeah, that's all well and great--still sucks pretty bad and I'm pretty depressed about it. I'm trying just to cope, at the moment.

[quote=Metlakatla;5390492]OMFG that is horrible news. Get a second opinion as soon as you can.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
I'm having a brain fart but there are some local groups that get together and play in Ktown. They also have that monthly get together thing "The Monthly Grind" out at the Saxman Tribal House. That's usually only during the non-tourist season. They don't do it in the summer. You might give McPherson Music in Ketchikan a call. They are like the musician heartbeat in town.

KAAHC - KAAHC Advisory Committees (http://www.ketchikanarts.org/content/view/27/53/ - broken link)

http://www.mcphersonalaska.com/education.html

Old 09-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the info on the music! Will check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska