Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM

238 posts, read 863,330 times

Advertisements

Around the Kenai area, when building on good ground, on pilings driven or dug 4 or 5 ft. deep, does your house need to be "levelable" in any way? As in essentialy detached from the pilings. Or can you just build solid off those poles with no trouble? Like a pole barn style of construction. Thanks for all your advice in advance... you have all been so helpfull thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Leave View Post
Around the Kenai area, when building on good ground, on pilings driven or dug 4 or 5 ft. deep, does your house need to be "levelable" in any way? As in essentialy detached from the pilings. Or can you just build solid off those poles with no trouble? Like a pole barn style of construction. Thanks for all your advice in advance... you have all been so helpfull thus far.
What kind of pilings? I don't know about the Kenai Peninsula, but I lived in a bunch of them on Kodiak. Pilings were creosoted, old phone poles mostly, and they had timbers - maybe 4"x8" or more - along the upper edges of the pilings. Once you decide where that's going to be, it's easy to trim any excess with a chainsaw. Then a thick, well-insulated floor, and either truss-frame or tilt-up wall construction. Truss frames make roofing easier, unless you want a simple shed roof. Either way, they hold up well even with all the little quakes. One I know was built in '70, and it's still doing fine. But you also want to skirt around the pilings, unless your floor is really, really thick and very well insulated. Another place built on pilings is a 40' x 60' shop, 3 stories high - and it's been holding literally tons of stuff for a very long time. The pilings for that one were set at 5' centers, as I recall.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 PM

Oh, so they were building framed houses on a piling foundation. I was wondering if you can use taller poles, and start with a metal skin, then frame the interior strung off those poles and the timbers acrossed the top. As long as the ground won't shift those timbers it's solid, it saves a few grand in lumber, and is simpler for one man to build solo. Has anyone seen it done up there?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Just buy a house that's already build, nothing to worry about.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, so they were building framed houses on a piling foundation. I was wondering if you can use taller poles, and start with a metal skin, then frame the interior strung off those poles and the timbers acrossed the top. As long as the ground won't shift those timbers it's solid, it saves a few grand in lumber, and is simpler for one man to build solo. Has anyone seen it done up there?
The ones I mentioned in detail were built by one man, with the sole exception of digging holes for the pilings for the warehouse, he paid a high school kid to do that . I wouldn't do it the way you describe, Kodiak isn't the only part of Alaska that has quakes. Do some research on Earthquake Park in Anch, and the Good Friday quake for more details and some pictures.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Default That would be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Just buy a house that's already build, nothing to worry about.
Unfortunately I'm not indipendently wealthy, or I would. I'd prefer to buy some elbow room close to town and build my own place, design as I want, create some equity, and be at least semi-independent from the American system of indentured servitude. Sure would be nice to write a check for a second home though

Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Sell the first one!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm not indipendently wealthy, or I would. I'd prefer to buy some elbow room close to town and build my own place, design as I want, create some equity, and be at least semi-independent from the American system of indentured servitude. Sure would be nice to write a check for a second home though
Check around for a smaller mobile home, there's usually some around that aren't actually advertised other than maybe a sign in a window. 'Smaller' so you can tow it yourself, then put it on a small gravel pad near where you plan to build eventually. Presto, you have a workshop that's wired.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,780 times
Quote:
I used to live in Kenai and put a deck in. The frost line was at about 3 feet. I was told that as long as the posts went below the frost line there would be very little movement. No leveling. Most homes have a foundation and there's no need for pilings although I do see many recreational cabins that have them. Possibly for the same reason you're considering them.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Check around for a smaller mobile home, there's usually some around that aren't actually advertised other than maybe a sign in a window. 'Smaller' so you can tow it yourself, then put it on a small gravel pad near where you plan to build eventually. Presto, you have a workshop that's wired.
That's a thought Karibear, however I'm thinking more along the lines of a stick build 750sf place for close to the same money as a decent trailer (after moving, and site prep). And yes warptman, I will sell the first, and cash out the retirement to make this happen. Fortunately I bought this one before the housing bubble realy expanded.

Thanks for the heads up on the frost line Chil, I think my design will work if it's that solid up there. I'm thinking it's also just as earthquake proof as any traditionaly framed house (never really had to think about that before though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska