Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 90,266 times

Advertisements

I wish it were me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:20 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
And watch for deer and other wildlife on the roads at dawn and dusk... your eyes are already playing tricks on you as the light changes and critters'll just jump out of nowhere.
Also, watch out for the rabbits about 10 miles south of Tok, for about 60+ miles. We must have seen several hundred crossing the road. We finally figured out the best thing to do was to just slow down a little, don't swerve to avoid them and let them figure out which way to run.

Another thing to remember is when you meet another vehicle on a gravel section, slow down and pull as far right as you can. It will keep down and reduce the impact speed of rocks hitting your windshield and may keep your windshield from getting cracked. If you know which towns you might stay in the morning before, call ahead and make reservations. When we went through Tok, most of the motels were full.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:11 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,413 times
I am so happy U are finally ready to go and w/a GPS. Sad for me, I probably will not make the trip this year after all. The 8 mpg and 5 & 6 buck diesel did me in this year. If you are in a rush, then Warpt' is right about the route. Though, unless you are really rushed, I personally would take the more scenic route. I would pick up #15 into Calgary, gassing up before entering Canada. Then I would do 93/16 thru Banff, Jasper to Prince George. You can see Lake Louise enroute. You must absolutely avoid #40 if you have second thoughts part way on this route. Then continue onto Smithers to ....Yes, it is true, this route will take you through #37 the infamous Cassiar Highway. but this road is being improved/repaved each year from South heading North. Several friends travelling up this Summer Eed me and said it is now greatly paved nearing the 3/8 to 1/2 way. It is a shorter route. Since you are not driving a big rig, you should have no problem. Then, I would pick up the Alaskan Hiway toward Whitehorse and if then you still are feeling rambunctious, head toward DAWSON CITY via #2 just to drive the "Top of the World Highway". DC is that gold rush town.
However, if you decide to take the standard route, do not forget to bring a fairly permanent sign, hand made or otherwise to nail up in the 'City of Signs' in Watson Lake, YT. (I've seen old licence plate as well as, heaven forbid, stolen street sign tacked up here) If U need gas or a parking place, drop in at the Watson Lake Garage ( across the street from the C. Of S.) and say hello to Pat and Donna, the owners. Tell them the person who sent you wants 50% of all the gold taken out of that claim and I will pick it up next year. Maybe!! Have a great and safe trip!!!

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 07-23-2008 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: punctuations

Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Also, watch out for the rabbits about 10 miles south of Tok, for about 60+ miles. We must have seen several hundred crossing the road. We finally figured out the best thing to do was to just slow down a little, don't swerve to avoid them and let them figure out which way to run.

Another thing to remember is when you meet another vehicle on a gravel section, slow down and pull as far right as you can. It will keep down and reduce the impact speed of rocks hitting your windshield and may keep your windshield from getting cracked. If you know which towns you might stay in the morning before, call ahead and make reservations. When we went through Tok, most of the motels were full.
A bra in front of your car will do wonders also. Did U have a car blockcrankcase heaters installed yet? U will need it in Alaska for the winter. It is usually cheaper to have it done in the lower 48

Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
The look on dealership's faces when you ask them to put a block heater on, priceless. Most of them don't know what they are and why we'd need them.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The look on dealership's faces when you ask them to put a block heater on, priceless. Most of them don't know what they are and why we'd need them.
Quite true. But it is worth a try. I've did it on both my cars myself. And, as it turned out, I have never stayed the winter even though I've anticipated buying a shack to live thru the winter the last few years

Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 PM

25 posts, read 74,016 times
Well made it to Fargo, North Dakota--end of day 2!!! So far a very uneventful trip. I bought a Magellan GPS which has been a wonder, also bought a Rand McNalley. Good thing because I learned that that Minneapols is not a state..lol. Plan to be in Canada tomorrow, taking Warptman's path from here on out. As far as i can see Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, ND, all look the same. Hoping the scenary improves. Any last minute tidbits, please post!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:43 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Sounds like you're coming the same way we did, except started from MN. Minnepolis a state? LOL - don't like that place....I thought a lot of southern Canada looked pretty much the same too. I was so glad when we got to Alaska that I made man guy stop the truck so I could walk in!!!! It seemed like a long trip, though it really wasn't, we were pulling a 35' 5th wheel loaded to the hilt, but made good for sleeping and food. Drive safe!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
You will notice that unlike the cities in the States, there are rarely any coffee shacks in parking lots in Canada. There are a lot of Tim Horton's though. If you drink regular soda, the soda in Canada tastes different from the soda brewed in the states, too. The chips have a different flavor and tastes as well. Might as well stock up on them before you cross or get used to the next few days in Canada when you drive up. I have a habit with sunflower seeds. The Spitz seeds don't taste very well, get some David, Planters, or Hoody's sunflower seeds in the shell before you cross, too. There are a lot of deer on the sides of the roads in the plains and they come out at night, be on the look out, you know what happens when deer see headlights. I got lost in Regina, Saskatchewan and also up in Saskatoon, pay attention to the signs on the way in and out. For some reason I wound up on the wrong lane when all along it said to stay in that and missed a bunch of turns in both of those cities. Be careful in Edmonton, too. Crazy drivers there and it takes about a hour or so to cross the city and just stay on the main highway in and out. When you pass Edmonton, keep on highway 16 until you get to the turnout to Onoway, that becomes highway 43 up to Whitecourt and to Grand Prairie. Pay attention in Grand Prairie, a lot of traffic there and it can be hard to watch signs there, too. After Grand View, its clear sailing up the highway into British Columbia and up the Alaska Highway. Happy trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska