Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM

9 posts, read 35,189 times

Advertisements

Americans should be aware while crossing the Canadian Border to get to Alaska, how to answer questions from Canadian Border Patrol (answer no)

In the past two years, I have crossed into Canada 11 times (coming and going from Alaska to the lower 48) at several different Canadian Border entrances.

My latest trip to Alaska, in late May, I was told at the Canadian Border (when I showed up with a fully loaded trailer - moving to Talkeetna) I could not enter Canada without getting a permit.

The border agent allowed me to enter this one last time only, for $200 Canadian.

I had drug convictions from 40 YEARS AGO (can anyone remember the sixties). Until I get permission, I am no longer allowed to travel through Canada.

I have no other convictions. No violence. No guns.

I mentioned this fact at other crossings during the past 2 years and never had a problem. I asked the agent why this time, and he said HE HAD JURISDICTION over all the other border crossings.

Now, I am barred from traveling through Canada, unless I pay a fee ($200 to $1000) and get the Canadian Consulate to give me clearance.

Don't get stuck in Alaska on vacation with your vehicle and have to fly back to the lower 48, leaving your rig (and belongings - like some have)

Myself, I will not support this Canadian bull, it reminds one of the restrictions put on the miners in the gold rush days by the Canadian government.

Just a way for Canada to "milk" more money from US Citizens.

I easily spend $1500 with rooms, GAS, meals just driving through Canada. Why support Canada! From now on, I am flying to the lower 48.

Be aware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:28 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,517 times
Sorry to hear that, Mike. I've been through the Canadien border a number of times and only twice they've given me problems but never as bad as your situation. Mostly, they practically wave us through. It is usually the American border who seem to come up with silly rules that somehow cost a few bucks like 3 years ago when they confiscated all my packaged frozen and refrigerated food claiming it have a smigen of beef product in it. We had just shopped since we've made it a point to ask a guard on a previous recent entry. We were assured, if they are in a manufacturer package, there is no prob. Then, last year, they wanted to take my 100+ lbs of Halibut away unless I proved I've got it in Alaska. They wanted proof I was in some nearby Alaskan seaport. Thank goodness for fuel receipts which they've reluctantly accepted as proof. We both know you will sometime encounter someone at the border who wish to show a little authority. I wonder if they have record of me being picked by a truant officer in in 1937?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:49 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
I wonder if they have record of me being picked by a truant officer in 1937?
I'm sorry, Ram, to hear about your halibut. Hope it was delicious!
But I couldn't help noticing your truancy in 1937. Holy cow! I didn't think there was anyone on C-D older than me! You are!! YAY!!!

"... Then there's a pair of us -- don't tell!
They'll banish us, you know. ..."

Last edited by allforcats; 07-06-2008 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,517 times
Hi 'Cats'. Yes, I am afraid we both are seeing time passing us but, oh so quickly. There are certain benefits when a person reach a magic age though. We see more senior discounts in museums, parks and etc. I know some of our readers here are grinding their teeth when they hear seniors like myself and maybe you, as US citizen, go into US parks for free w/the Golden Eagle pass. Especially, when many seniors can more afford it. Since it is a form of subsidization, some of us try our best not to abuse it. Many of us pay anyway, especially if we are planning to stay a few days.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Myself, I will not support this Canadian bull, it reminds one of the restrictions put on the miners in the gold rush days by the Canadian government.
Restrictions put on the miners, eh? Like requiring them to have a certain amount of provisions? They were coming up and starving to death trying to reach the Klondike, which was, after all, on Canadian land.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 AM

9 posts, read 35,189 times
Default Governments ridiculous restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Restrictions put on the miners, eh? Like requiring them to have a certain amount of provisions? They were coming up and starving to death trying to reach the Klondike, which was, after all, on Canadian land.

Study a little more and one should find out that the TYPE/AMOUNT of supplies the early miners were required to have by the Canadian Government, REQUIRED the miners to HIRE CANADIANS to bring the supplies in.

The Canadian restrictions were not about preventing starving or proving one had survival skills, the Canadian restrictions were about making money off ridiculous minimums on supplies required by Canada on the miners.

Kinda like the US Government does today to its own citizens - government is not a "cure all" - government can not legislate stupidly for stupidity.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMike View Post
Americans should be aware while crossing the Canadian Border to get to Alaska, how to answer questions from Canadian Border Patrol (answer no)

I had drug convictions from 40 YEARS AGO (can anyone remember the sixties). Until I get permission, I am no longer allowed to travel through Canada.

Now, I am barred from traveling through Canada, unless I pay a fee ($200 to $1000) and get the Canadian Consulate to give me clearance.

Be aware!
Wow, you display a lot of ignorance in this post. As a Canadian and an American Citizen who travels at least 60 times a year back and forth for business, I think you might want to learn a bit more before you give advice on this topic.

If anyone, American or Canadian, with any offence on their record wants to travel across the border, they need to get a special clearance. The cost for this clearance from Homeland Security can run from 200-2500 dollars and take up to 6 months to get. It works both sides of the border buddy.

The gold mine rush to the Yukon cost the Canadian government a great deal. Know your history. The reason they did this was not to get extra revenue, but to get ensure that non-Canadians trying to make their money there could support themselves. The only way they could do this was by bringing up enough supplies. Since the job of carrying supplies could not be proven to be a job doable only by an American, just like in present day, Candians needed to be hired to do this job.

In Canada they prefer that foreign workers be highly skilled labor, Execuitve's such as myself, Engineers, Scientists, etc. In America we like our workers to be mostly unskilled labor.

Sorry to hear that you got caught unaware of the reality of the situation, and unprepared for the consequences. It could have gone a lot worse for you. A few years ago, one of my coworkers (who is a Pediatric Ophthalmologist) was travelling to Canada to assist on setting up a new research lab, and had his car impounded. The reason? 25 years ago he had been arrested with a gram of marijuana.

If you have any criminal record of any kind, make sure before you cross the border that it is ok to do so, and if you have to, pay the consulate or DHS fees for the visa to get across before hand. This includes sealed Juvenile Records, they are still sealed, but the record shows up, and the border agent's job is to keep you from entering the country.

What are your views on Mexican criminals entering the US through Arizona or Texas?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Maybe it’s just me, but I always figured that Canada was a sovereign country and fully within its rights to set whatever conditions they deem fit for entry. I would never presume to show up on the border of any country and demand entry on my own terms.

Just because the US is unwilling or unable to protect its own borders, doesn’t mean that the rest of the world is obliged to follow suit.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM

81 posts, read 289,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkky View Post
Wow, you display a lot of ignorance in this post. As a Canadian and an American Citizen who travels at least 60 times a year back and forth for business, I think you might want to learn a bit more before you give advice on this topic.

If anyone, American or Canadian, with any offence on their record wants to travel across the border, they need to get a special clearance. The cost for this clearance from Homeland Security can run from 200-2500 dollars and take up to 6 months to get. It works both sides of the border buddy.

The gold mine rush to the Yukon cost the Canadian government a great deal. Know your history. The reason they did this was not to get extra revenue, but to get ensure that non-Canadians trying to make their money there could support themselves. The only way they could do this was by bringing up enough supplies. Since the job of carrying supplies could not be proven to be a job doable only by an American, just like in present day, Candians needed to be hired to do this job.

In Canada they prefer that foreign workers be highly skilled labor, Execuitve's such as myself, Engineers, Scientists, etc. In America we like our workers to be mostly unskilled labor.

Sorry to hear that you got caught unaware of the reality of the situation, and unprepared for the consequences. It could have gone a lot worse for you. A few years ago, one of my coworkers (who is a Pediatric Ophthalmologist) was travelling to Canada to assist on setting up a new research lab, and had his car impounded. The reason? 25 years ago he had been arrested with a gram of marijuana.

If you have any criminal record of any kind, make sure before you cross the border that it is ok to do so, and if you have to, pay the consulate or DHS fees for the visa to get across before hand. This includes sealed Juvenile Records, they are still sealed, but the record shows up, and the border agent's job is to keep you from entering the country.

What are your views on Mexican criminals entering the US through Arizona or Texas?

what if you have a midemeanor offense?and do you know about how much that will cost.sorry if this is an ignorant ? but i'm ignorant when it comes to things like that.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,869 times
Things that are misdemeanors in the US maybe different in Canada. My husband I crossed earlier this year packed to the hilt with all our belongings except guns. We were all asked about any criminal record. My hubby hesistated but then said yes he had a record,explained what was on it and when it happened and what the outcome was. The officer went inside to verify the info. came back out 20 mins later and said that we could pass through. He said flat out if he had lied or said he wasn't sure and then found to have a record they could've charged him a fee,or denied him entrance. BUT because he didn't he was all clear to go. I say don't lie or try and cover something up but also don't share more information than you need to. Have all your paperwork handy as well. Heck my hubby even had a copy of his record just in case. And we both had copies of our driving records,they of course weren't needed but I wanted to make sure everything was covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska