Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2022, 07:09 PM

1,812 posts, read 905,361 times

Advertisements

This is such a tragedy. Prayers of peace and comfort for his family.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2022...sk-ox-in-nome/

Last edited by ketchikanite; 12-14-2022 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 11:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
That is tragic. Condolences to his family and colleagues. He was given a State Honor Procession on Wednesday. Here is an update to the story above with more information about the incident and his manner of death, (he was gored and received a fatal wound to the leg). The Musk Ox that attacked and killed him has been declared a hazard to community safety and will be dispatched.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2022...-state-honors/

Old 12-15-2022, 06:15 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The Musk Ox that attacked and killed him has been declared a hazard to community safety and will be dispatched.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 5,607 times
Just entered this forum to perhaps find contacts in the North,And the first thread I read is about this a tragic death. My condolences to his family, friends and comrades.

I am a wildlife preservation guy,but here I can understand, that the musk ox involved was put down. One can not say if its group had not wandered close to other resident's places and once again gotten into similar situations. It is the first time I would have heard of a musk ox attacking a person.

I can't say, what would lead this group of animals close to the dog's place in the first. Maybe they seek safety nearby settlements,like moose and deer do on occasion, outside of hunting season. Maybe they hope for minerals or just get nosy. Wanting to protect their young? Not in the initial cause, but I don't know what a distance there was between him and the animals, when that one charged.

I think we just need to do everything it takes to keep distance and also teach other people not to feed or otherwise habituate wildlife to people. The way it would be with bears. Don't get them used to have us close. Don't let them find a connection like "stay near people" and "safe spot" and the like.

Still, even then, such tragic incidents can happen and it is no one's fault. A man wanting to make sure his dog is safe. Nature's book of real life.

Regards,

Pit

Old 12-23-2022, 10:40 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,680,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRaven70 View Post

I can't say, what would lead this group of animals close to the dog's place in the first. Maybe they seek safety nearby settlements,like moose and deer do on occasion, outside of hunting season. Maybe they hope for minerals or just get nosy. Wanting to protect their young? Not in the initial cause, but I don't know what a distance there was between him and the animals, when that one charged.

I think we just need to do everything it takes to keep distance and also teach other people not to feed or otherwise habituate wildlife to people. The way it would be with bears. Don't get them used to have us close. Don't let them find a connection like "stay near people" and "safe spot" and the like.

It's Nome Alaska. There are musk ox around the area and they frequently come into town. They hate dogs. To me, it sounds like the guy got between the musk ox and his dog that it was trying to attack and he got a horn to leg. My guess, and that's all it is, is that the horn hit his femoral artery and he died from loss of blood. Musk ox are normally skittish around people.

A picture I took just outside of Nome last spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaska DPS Officer killed by Musk Ox-musk-ox-.jpg  

Old 12-24-2022, 09:13 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
......... Musk ox are normally skittish around people...........
Skittish or not, they are large, strong, wild animals and common sense says to respect them and keep well away from them.

My sympathy for the family of this man.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,103,764 times
Good thing there ar no buffalo in Alaska. South Dakota and Wyoming have problems with people trying to pet them.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Skittish or not, they are large, strong, wild animals and common sense says to respect them and keep well away from them.

My sympathy for the family of this man.

It sounds like the guy was trying to protect his dog and probably acted out of reflex. Not someone just being stupid.

Musk ox really aren't that big and while they certainly could land you in the hospital, I don't think they'd normally be able to kill an adult human. I think this was a freak occurrence.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Good thing there ar no buffalo in Alaska. South Dakota and Wyoming have problems with people trying to pet them.

You got bad information, Alaska has buffalo (bison). There are plains bison around Delta, Fairwell, and along the Chitina River. There is also an introduced heard of wood bison along the Innoko River. These areas are not National Parks and not frequented by tourists. So there's that.

Old 12-25-2022, 03:26 AM

6 posts, read 5,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It's Nome Alaska. There are musk ox around the area and they frequently come into town. They hate dogs. To me, it sounds like the guy got between the musk ox and his dog that it was trying to attack and he got a horn to leg. My guess, and that's all it is, is that the horn hit his femoral artery and he died from loss of blood. Musk ox are normally skittish around people.

A picture I took just outside of Nome last spring.

Thank you @ Northrick for the insight. Figured similar on death after blood loss, didn't want to write that down, as family members could be reading here, and Christmas without him would be tough enough, eh.
So the musk oxen wandering through town is the usual up there.
Freak accidents do occur. It was not my intend to indicate him having done other than to defend his dog.

Wood bison should be in Alaska, yep. I never saw them turn around at the border, when living in the Yukon.

@johnsonkk :People trying to pet wild bison in Wyoming - I certainly would hope fish & game would educate to prevent this. Many modern people lost proper respects toward wildlife. Not everyone, yet those growing up in larger cities or dense populated areas. Then, there are certain nature romanticized, sorta 'treadwellesque' Characters .. we all remember well how this went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: