Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 05:16 PM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times

Advertisements

It looks like we are going to make it back to Alaska one more time. Planning on chartering a boat for a week in early June or late August 2022; either round trip from Juneau or Juneau to Sitka. Looking to do the usual stuff; whale/bear watching, some kayaking and fishing, maybe some easy hiking and of course, a trip to one of the glaciers.

Any thoughts if one of those times might be better than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 06:08 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Early June. Weather is typically better and days are longer. If fishing is important then August may be better, I'm not sure.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
If ocean sports fishing is on the agenda, July is best for most species. But the weather is usually better in June. Still king season then but ... anyway, the weather's never predictable in SE, but August seems to bring some nasty rains.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If ocean sports fishing is on the agenda, July is best for most species. But the weather is usually better in June. Still king season then but ... anyway, the weather's never predictable in SE, but August seems to bring some nasty rains.
Thanks. I was at the Annette Island Coast Guard Air Station for a year, many, many years ago. I don't remember much about the summer, just the wet, cold winter. I still shiver at the thought of walking the stomper watch on those nights with the cutting wind as soon as I stepped out of the barrack.

Fishing isn't going to be the main reason for the trip so anything we catch would be a bonus.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:42 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
but ... anyway, the weather's never predictable in SE, but August seems to bring some nasty rains.
Well, IME late August is fairly predictable...wet and windy! Also, be aware that tourist destinations and some services start shutting down. Labor Day is often the end of their season.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:38 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Early June should have the scenic bonus of snow on the mountain tops. More trees and flowering plants blooming then too.
Late August could be when Cohos are running, your best bet at catching salmon. Then again, maybe not. Definitely more likely to be wet then. That's fall around here, with leaves dropping, fall color in the alpine and sometimes nasty windblown rain storms.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:52 PM

Booked for the second week in June. Looking forward to having a great time!

Old 06-22-2022, 02:18 PM

We just got back from our cruise and it was great. Weather was pretty good; mostly overcast with maybe slight drizzle for most of the trip; only day of pure sunshine was the last full day.

Now my wife is all ready to go back next year but the only trip still available is Petersburg back to Petersburg September 4-11 and I understand that the weather in September can be a real crapshoot.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:06 PM

125 posts, read 100,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We just got back from our cruise and it was great. Weather was pretty good; mostly overcast with maybe slight drizzle for most of the trip; only day of pure sunshine was the last full day.

Now my wife is all ready to go back next year but the only trip still available is Petersburg back to Petersburg September 4-11 and I understand that the weather in September can be a real crapshoot.
What'd you catch on your trip?

Old 06-22-2022, 07:53 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

The key to Alaska weather: hope for the best, be prepared for the worse. And no matter what, have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska