Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times

Advertisements

Maybe a bit off-topic or in the wrong forum (IS there a jeep forum here I've somehow missed?), but I'm looking for some suggestions about fixing up a mid-90's YJ-series jeep Wrangler. I want to tow a fairly light skiff on a trailer but not only doesn't it have a reciever hitch, it doesn't even have a rear bumper, just those goofy "loops". I'm also looking for a source of rubber seals and moldings, new sun visors, stuff like that. I'm trying to fix up some nagging little things, including a persistent windshield-area water leak. The body is in surprisingly good condition considering it's been a SE AK car, but I'm also considering chucking the carpet and going for a more utilitarian floor treatment since it's always soaked and smells like fish tank sludge more often than not.

Anyone out there have a good source of info and advice for jeep questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 06:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories, Jeep Bumpers, Jeep Tops - JC Whitney

Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
I found this some time ago, seems like some good people to ask question.

Alaska 4x4 Network - Powered by vBulletin

Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,223 times
I own a 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ and have used this place....they are GODS for Jeeps, I feel

Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops for Jeep Wrangler, Jeep CJ & Jeep Cherokee. Jeep Suspension, Jeep Bumpers, Winches & Replacement Parts for Jeep Vehicles. - Quadratec

JC Whitney are good too.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times
Default thanks, all

Thanks, all, for the input. There's gotta be SOMEONE out there who knows how to keep the windshield from leaking all the time.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Thanks, all, for the input. There's gotta be SOMEONE out there who knows how to keep the windshield from leaking all the time.
I had to put some Auto/Marine sealant on my door seals. I did just in time for todays rain storm Hopefully no more floods in my doors.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
I had a 70's Nova that leaked through the top of the widshield. I found some black string looking stuff at an autoparts store that you jam in with a knife...around the trim to seal out the rian. It worked fairly well and was cheap. It was like a tar covered string.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 13,938 times
Default jeeps

My jeep is not going to more than 90 kilometer speed.I need to go fast than 90 km/speed,So what can i do now.Thanks.
================

john

New Cars

Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Maybe a bit off-topic or in the wrong forum (IS there a jeep forum here I've somehow missed?), but I'm looking for some suggestions about fixing up a mid-90's YJ-series jeep Wrangler. I want to tow a fairly light skiff on a trailer but not only doesn't it have a reciever hitch, it doesn't even have a rear bumper, just those goofy "loops". I'm also looking for a source of rubber seals and moldings, new sun visors, stuff like that. I'm trying to fix up some nagging little things, including a persistent windshield-area water leak. The body is in surprisingly good condition considering it's been a SE AK car, but I'm also considering chucking the carpet and going for a more utilitarian floor treatment since it's always soaked and smells like fish tank sludge more often than not.

Anyone out there have a good source of info and advice for jeep questions?
Most auto parts shops can order the proper tow hitch kit for you if they don't have one in stock. Like others said, you can get other parts from JC Whitney too.

JC Whitney Jeep for Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Gear

If the seal around the window has gotten old and cracked, you can get a black silicone sealant that is sold at glass instalation shops or glass stores, it is not the same stuff you find at the local hardware store. It will require you to go around and peel back the rubber with a flat bladed screwdriver and put the nozzle of the tube down into the crack and while someone goes ahead of you and keeps the rubber crack open for you to fill it all around the windshield on the outside should be fine.

Then take some and put it on your fingers and press it into any of the cracks in the rubber.

You other option is to remover the glass and install new rubber. Unless you are doing a "restore", verses wanting to stop the water leak, the silicone is a good bet to stop the leak.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska