Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 05:29 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times

Advertisements

Once again, someone trying to get to that stupid bus pays the ultimate price.... https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019...7QcelQdvLB77Ow

A woman from Belarus died Thursday night when she was swept away at a river crossing near Healy, Alaska State Troopers said.
Newlyweds Veramika Maikamava and Piotr Markielau, both 24, were trying to cross the Teklanika River at the upper crossing along the Stampede Trail shortly before midnight when Maikamava was swept under the water, said Ken Marsh, a troopers spokesman.
The upper crossing, which is generally swift anyway, was running high because of recent rainfall, troopers said.
As the two were wading through waist-high water, holding on to a rope that spans the length of the crossing, Maikamava apparently lost her footing and her grip on the rope, Marsh said.
Markielau found his wife’s body about 75 to 100 feet downriver, troopers said. A trooper and volunteers from the Tri-Valley Fire Department reached the scene on ATVs and sent the body to the state medical examiner.
At the time, the couple were on their way to the “Magic Bus,” where 24-year-old Chris McCandless died in 1992, according to Marsh. McCandless’ death was popularized in the 1996 book “Into the Wild,” which was later adapted into a feature film, and the bus has become an infamous destination along the Stampede Trail.
Maikamava and Markielau had been married for less than a month, Marsh said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 09:14 PM

460 posts, read 609,742 times
Was just going to put it on, but too late. Do not know if any signs would have helped, but there should not be any rope. It is way too dangerous.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:13 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,417 times
Much like suicide, they should stop reporting on these.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:28 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Attractive nuisance. Whether the people trying to reach it are prepared, experienced, naive or not, demolishing it would probably be best. What is it a shrine to really? Never understood why the final actions of a deluded, irresponsible, unhappy fool should garner this much adoration/admiration or whatever it is. Lots of people write about their lives in a thought-provoking manner, but he was no Thoreau.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-27-2019 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-27-2019, 02:20 PM

10,565 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Reading "Into the Wild" I found a lot to admire about young Chris. Would I visit the bus where he died? No way, but I have no problem with those who do so.

People die in the course of outdoor adventure mishaps all the time. One of my favorite books, "To The Summit-50 mountains that lure, inspire and challenge" is loaded with great photos, one of which shows a mountaineer traversing a raging stream from above via a long cable, which I'm reminded of by this story. Not a big deal, provided you don't lose your grip. In that event, it's clear you wouldn't survive.

As Hunter Thompson would say, buy the ticket, take the ride.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Reading "Into the Wild" I found a lot to admire about young Chris. Would I visit the bus where he died? No way, but I have no problem with those who do so.

People die in the course of outdoor adventure mishaps all the time. One of my favorite books, "To The Summit-50 mountains that lure, inspire and challenge" is loaded with great photos, one of which shows a mountaineer traversing a raging stream from above via a long cable, which I'm reminded of by this story. Not a big deal, provided you don't lose your grip. In that event, it's clear you wouldn't survive.

As Hunter Thompson would say, buy the ticket, take the ride.
What? A writer was good enough to tell you a story you enjoyed, but the guy was stupid enough not to listen to advise and go ahead with his plans.

Should the same be done by those who admire the former Timothy Treadwell? In this case they could spend some time "bonding" with the bears...

~Just kidding.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-27-2019 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
The current events forum has a thread about this and full of Chris McCandless admirers.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:49 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The current events forum has a thread about this and full of Chris McCandless admirers.
It was posted in the Alaska Reddit forum and got some comments from people that idolize the homeless squatter who died because he couldn't handle what he put himself into.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:54 PM

10,565 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Should the same be done by those who admire the former Timothy Treadwell? In this case they could spend some time "bonding" with the bears...

~Just kidding.
Are there many who do admire Treadwell? Saw the movie made about him that included some of his footage. IMO, he seemed like a kindhearted fellow but also a real goofball. He talked at the bears as if they were his pets! I couldn't stand being around a guy like that.

McCandless, OTOH, I would have liked to meet-Not that I agree with everything he said and did, FWIW.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 PM

497 posts, read 484,996 times
I don't necessarily admire Chris McCandless, but I admire the fact that he followed his heart (No matter how foolishly). He made some poor decisions, but so have so many others throughout history. Many of them are admired regardless. He was young and naive and chose his path haphazardly. It doesn't mean he deserves to be mocked. I think most people that admire him do so based on his desire for freedom from the things he believed to be constraints. Things I think many of us would like to be free from as well. They don't admire him for poor planning and the decisions he made without taking into consideration his lack of knowledge and experience. His is an inspiring and cautionary tale at the same time. One we should learn from, rather than make a mockery of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: