Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:48 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times

Advertisements

Maybe too much time on my hands...

Recreation Sites, From Downtown Anchorage

Within a Half Hour (After Work)
Kincaid Park
Far North Bicentennial Park
Eagle River Valley
Eagle River Mountain Backroads (Skyline, Mile-Hi)
South Fork Eagle River Valley
Arctic Valley
Peters Creek Valley
Basher Road Trailheads
Glen Alps and Prospect Heights
Rabbit Creek Valley
Bear Valley
Turnagain Arm to McHugh Creek, Falls Creek, Indian

Within an Hour (Half-Day Trip)
Eklutna Lake
Knik River Valley
Old Glenn, Butte, Lower Matanuska Valley
Palmer
Rest of Turnagain Arm (Bird Creek, Beluga Point, etc)
Girdwood, Alyeska, Crow Creek, Winner Creek
Portage Valley

Within 2 Hours (day trip)
Hatcher Pass and Arcangel Valley
Matanuska Valley, Glenn Highway
Matanuska Glacier
Sheep / Gunsight Mountain
Nancy Lakes Rec Area
Talkeetna and Denali Viewpoints
Whittier
Turnagain Pass
Hope and Sixmile Creek
Moose Pass, Kenai Lake Area
Cooper Pass, Kenai River, Russian River

Within 4 Hours (Overnight Trip)
Seward and Resurrection Bay
Exit Glacier and Harding Icefield
Skilak Lake
Sterling Highway, Cook Inlet, and Volcano Views
Homer and Kachemak Bay
Denali State Park

Within 8 Hours (Long Weekend Road Trip)
Denali National Park
Denali Highway Loop
Big Fairbanks Loop (Parks, Richardson, Glenn Highways) plus Chena Hot Springs
Delta / Tok Loop with Nabesna Road, plus Chicken and the 40-Mile Country
Valdez and Thompson Pass
Chitina, McCarthy Kennicott (Wrangell St Elias National Park)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Maybe too much time on my hands...

Recreation Sites, From Downtown Anchorage

Within a Half Hour (After Work)
Kincaid Park
Far North Bicentennial Park
Eagle River Valley
Eagle River Mountain Backroads (Skyline, Mile-Hi)
South Fork Eagle River Valley
Arctic Valley
Peters Creek Valley
Basher Road Trailheads
Glen Alps and Prospect Heights
Rabbit Creek Valley
Bear Valley
Turnagain Arm to McHugh Creek, Falls Creek, Indian

Within an Hour (Half-Day Trip)
Eklutna Lake
Knik River Valley
Old Glenn, Butte, Lower Matanuska Valley
Palmer
Rest of Turnagain Arm (Bird Creek, Beluga Point, etc)
Girdwood, Alyeska, Crow Creek, Winner Creek
Portage Valley

Within 2 Hours (day trip)
Hatcher Pass and Arcangel Valley
Matanuska Valley, Glenn Highway
Matanuska Glacier
Sheep / Gunsight Mountain
Nancy Lakes Rec Area
Talkeetna and Denali Viewpoints
Whittier
Turnagain Pass
Hope and Sixmile Creek
Moose Pass, Kenai Lake Area
Cooper Pass, Kenai River, Russian River

Within 4 Hours (Overnight Trip)
Seward and Resurrection Bay
Exit Glacier and Harding Icefield
Skilak Lake
Sterling Highway, Cook Inlet, and Volcano Views
Homer and Kachemak Bay
Denali State Park

Within 8 Hours (Long Weekend Road Trip)
Denali National Park
Denali Highway Loop
Big Fairbanks Loop (Parks, Richardson, Glenn Highways) plus Chena Hot Springs
Delta / Tok Loop with Nabesna Road, plus Chicken and the 40-Mile Country
Valdez and Thompson Pass
Chitina, McCarthy Kennicott (Wrangell St Elias National Park)
Yep, if you have a GOOD non mcjob with healthy leave its amazing. Otherwise Alaska is not that nice.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep, if you have a GOOD non mcjob with healthy leave its amazing. Otherwise Alaska is not that nice.

If you have a crappy job anywhere life may very well suck. That's not Alaska specific. As far as having lots of paid leave, I think the point heathen is making is that there are a lot of nice places you can go that are very close to Anchorage.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
If you have a crappy job anywhere life may very well suck. That's not Alaska specific. As far as having lots of paid leave, I think the point heathen is making is that there are a lot of nice places you can go that are very close to Anchorage.
That is false, Alaska can be much more brutal due to the extreme weather conditions if you are broke. So now, not only are you not able to do all the fun stuff but it very quickly turns into survival.

With the state of our economy being what it is, this is a non trivial risk.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 PM

42 posts, read 26,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You cant go hiking, fishing, etc after work or on the weekends? How is that costly? Nature is free. That's how the rest of the country does it.

Also, you're saying any accessible outdoor location in Alaska will have a crowd of people? I haven't been to AK yet but that doesn't sound right. I can walk outside where I am and not bump into people and it's WAY more populated here. Are you just not an outdoors type of person?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwatcher View Post
You cant go hiking, fishing, etc after work or on the weekends? How is that costly? Nature is free. That's how the rest of the country does it.

Also, you're saying any accessible outdoor location in Alaska will have a crowd of people? I haven't been to AK yet but that doesn't sound right. I can walk outside where I am and not bump into people and it's WAY more populated here. Are you just not an outdoors type of person?
Pitts lives in Anchorage, and with the amount of tourists that place gets during fishing/hiking/etc. season, it's not as easy as it looks from the outside to get a relatively people-free outdoor experience. Combat fishing is a real thing.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-08-2019 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-08-2019, 11:29 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:

Also saying that unless you have your own transportation if you want to get to some of those more remote uncrowded destinations you probably have to pay someone to help you reach it; air taxi, charter vessel, charter aircraft or commercial flight, ferry, etc.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Pittsflyer is always down on Alaska and all the cities and villages. I have seen him on this and other forums for a few years now yet he is still living here! So please ignore his posts.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:

Wait until you are on the seward highway on a nice sunny weekend day to go fishing during dip netting season. Or a nice sunny day to go try to park at flat top parking area, etc.

Sure you can go out on some marginal weather day during the week and its probably fine. But when spring comes and its nice out and everyone has the same days off its not particularly pleasant. Motor homes congest the roads and police dont enforce the trailing car rules.

That is why myself and my families have always owned planes but now with the economy being what it is its more and more of a struggle to maintain all the equipment.

When you can make good money and go fly out to pick blue berries or go fishing its super nice. When money is tight Alaska is not really a fun place to be.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Pittsflyer is always down on Alaska and all the cities and villages. I have seen him on this and other forums for a few years now yet he is still living here! So please ignore his posts.
You might want to try arguing my points otherwise you might be the one to get ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska