Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:40 PM

37 posts, read 45,472 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband and I have talked about moving to Alaska for several years and just recently started to talk seriously about it. We are a family of 6 with 4 children.

My husband has experience and certificates in HVAC and I&E Air conditioners, and electrical work. We are having trouble finding a job that will pay what we are currently looking for. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on finding the pay we need to support our family?

Also advice on finding the right location to fit our family? I homeschool so school districts do not affect us, we love rural living, outdoor activities and self sufficiency but due to our children being young still we would need to be in an area at least 30 minutes close to hospital, grocery stores etc....

Anything specific we need to be thinking about preparing for before our big move? We've done tons of research but I do understand that it does not compare to actually being there and experiencing it.

I appreciate all advice and information.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 01:51 PM

I also want to add that we are interested in the coastal area over the interior but would look elsewhere if the right job came up.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 PM

10,803 posts, read 8,102,049 times
Can't help with the employment query, but I'd think you could narrow down your location options to larger population centers, namely: Anchorage, Kenai peninsula, Juneau or Ketchikan.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:59 PM

23,881 posts, read 19,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1corinth13 View Post
Hi everyone, my husband and I have talked about moving to Alaska for several years and just recently started to talk seriously about it. We are a family of 6 with 4 children.

My husband has experience and certificates in HVAC and I&E Air conditioners, and electrical work. We are having trouble finding a job that will pay what we are currently looking for. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on finding the pay we need to support our family?

Also advice on finding the right location to fit our family? I homeschool so school districts do not affect us, we love rural living, outdoor activities and self sufficiency but due to our children being young still we would need to be in an area at least 30 minutes close to hospital, grocery stores etc....

Anything specific we need to be thinking about preparing for before our big move? We've done tons of research but I do understand that it does not compare to actually being there and experiencing it.

I appreciate all advice and information.

Thanks so much.
This is a bit vague. Some questions to help focus:

1. Are you looking for a job vacancy with an existing company that pays a certain amount?

2. Are you trying to find out what income will be necessary to support a family that size up here?

3. Are you trying to find out what an independent contractor in those trades will need to bring in to support you?

4. What "research" have you already done and what did or didn't it tell you? Did it include investigating how much unmet demand there is for those trades in locations that meet your criteria?

30 minutes maximum to services will rule out a lot of the state. COL and what you'll need to support a family will differ depending on what part of the state you look at.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-07-2018 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,203,735 times
30 minutes from a hospital? So basically, Kenai P towns, Anchorage, wasilla/Palmer and Fairbanks? Maybe Ketchikan or Sitka or kodiak or Juneau?

Of course you need to understand rural hospitals are lacking in most care.
Do you have any issues medically?

Old 11-08-2018, 11:04 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,152,079 times
I echo the above sentiments, and...

I live "in" Fairbanks (outside of town) and in the winter it takes longer than 30 minutes for me to get to the hospital. So, two points: I don't know what you consider to be rural, but you're not going to make it very far outside of the city if you need to be within a 30-minute drive from a hospital. Also, drive-times are likely to vary wildly from summer to winter.

You say you're having trouble finding a job that will pay what you need for your family of six. How much is that?

You ask what to prepare before your move. Money, work, information.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,802,847 times
No more replies are needed as the OP has now moved on to the Wyoming forum. She says they are seriously considering moving there as well.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...s-wyoming.html

Old 11-27-2018, 03:44 PM

Yes, we have ruled out AK due to the moving costs and a few other things. I greatly appreciate everyone's input. Thank ya'll so much. Hopefully we can visit one day.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:51 PM

23,881 posts, read 19,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1corinth13 View Post
Yes, we have ruled out AK due to the moving costs and a few other things. I greatly appreciate everyone's input. Thank ya'll so much. Hopefully we can visit one day.
Well, at least you sat down and did the math. It sounds so great until you run the numbers in detail. Other people dismiss the unpleasant realities and end up in big trouble. Hope you do get to visit someday! It's not going anywhere. Might look a little greener due to climate change however.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:39 AM

7,651 posts, read 5,195,178 times
Finding a job outside of medical or federal govt in Alaska right now is a nightmare. The only thing that seems to be doing well is the hospitals and fed jobs. Everything else, even the people with jobs are living in extreme instability, even if they refuse to admit it to themselves. You always get the guy that thinks he is the devinchi of HVAC or welding and that there is no way they can lay him off .... until he gets laid off lol.

Big oil runs this state and the decisions they make decide the livelyhoods of almost every trade and line of work because everything (other that fed govt and medical) depends on oil and gas and to a lesser extent mining.

Some people do commercial fishing too but thats a BRUTAL hard life and its a small portion of jobs. Sure you get a large chunk of time off .... to sit and stew about how you are going to have to set foot on that boat again next season and risk your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska