Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

Thanks keyman. I’ve reserved with Talkeetna Air Taxi to fly to Rainy Pass on Monday so I am set. We’ll be staying in Talkeetna for a couple of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Parking in Willow for the re-start is limited. I'd plan on being there very early.
How early should I arrive at Willow for the re-start? I will have a handicapped person in a wheelchair, will there be handicapped parking?

OK, a lot has happened in the last several months. My general plan is this:

4 days / 3 nights in Anchorage for the start: Wed 27 Feb to Sat 02 Mar
3 nights in Talkeetna for the Willow restart: Sat 02 to Tue 05 Mar
3 nights near Girdwood to explore the Kenai Peninsula: Tue 05 to Fri 08 Mar
1 night near Homer to explore the end of the Peninsula: Fri 08 Mar to Sat 09 Mar, then fly to Nome
4 nights in Nome for the finish: Sat 09 to Wed 13 Mar

I hope the race will finish in that window of days. Thanks again for all the advice here, we are really looking forward to this.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:50 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
How early should I arrive at Willow for the re-start? I will have a handicapped person in a wheelchair, will there be handicapped parking?

OK, a lot has happened in the last several months. My general plan is this:

4 days / 3 nights in Anchorage for the start: Wed 27 Feb to Sat 02 Mar
3 nights in Talkeetna for the Willow restart: Sat 02 to Tue 05 Mar
3 nights near Girdwood to explore the Kenai Peninsula: Tue 05 to Fri 08 Mar
1 night near Homer to explore the end of the Peninsula: Fri 08 Mar to Sat 09 Mar, then fly to Nome
4 nights in Nome for the finish: Sat 09 to Wed 13 Mar

I hope the race will finish in that window of days. Thanks again for all the advice here, we are really looking forward to this.

I did not see handicapped parking last time I went. Also be advised if it snows a lot there probably won't be much snow removal done in the pedestrian areas. It could be a tough go for someone in a regular wheelchair.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:47 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Might think about bringing a pushable sled for your travel companion.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
I will have a handicapped person in a wheelchair, will there be handicapped parking?

Your handicapped person needs one of these....

Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Don't underestimate your driving times. You'll spend almost all of your daylight hours getting to Homer, stay the night and then turn around and spend most of your daylight hours driving back to Anchorage...

Old 01-28-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Don't underestimate your driving times. You'll spend almost all of your daylight hours getting to Homer, stay the night and then turn around and spend most of your daylight hours driving back to Anchorage...
Thanks. But why is that? The map shows it as a drive of 225 miles and about 4:15 in time (gMap — https://goo.gl/6k1r5K). Is 4h 15m nowhere close to the real time it takes to make that drive?

BTW, last night I AirBNB’d a place to stay in Soldotna, not Homer. We have to be at ANC airport @0900 the next morning, and Soldotna to ANC is 150mi / 3hrs (gMap https://goo.gl/ip2yi9). Maybe I should plan to leave Soldotna at 0500 to allow for plenty of time to make ANC at 0900 — should that work?

So now my reservations are for:
  1. 4 days / 3 nights in Anchorage for the start: Wed 27 Feb to Sat 02 Mar
  2. 3 nights in Talkeetna for the Willow restart: Sat 02 to Tue 05 Mar
  3. 3 nights in Girdwood to explore the Kenai Peninsula: Tue 05 to Fri 08 Mar
  4. 1 night in Soldotna to explore the end of the Peninsula: Fri 08 Mar to Sat 09 Mar, then fly to Nome
  5. 4 nights in Nome for the finish: Sat 09 to Wed 13 Mar

I hope I didn’t screw the pooch by committing to this plan. That means on Fri 08 Mar if I want to get out to Homer / Homer Spit and then back to Soldotna it’ll be 275mi / 5h (gMap — https://goo.gl/4LYi1v). I guess we’ll have to head out from Girdwood at 0500 that day too.

Last edited by echo7tango; 01-28-2019 at 03:18 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 01:18 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Thanks. But why is that? The map shows it as a drive of 225 miles and about 4:15 in time (gMap — https://goo.gl/6k1r5K). Is 4h 15m nowhere close to the real time it takes to make that drive?
You have to consider that this is not an interstate style drive. Road conditions, weather, delays due to accidents (yep they happen a lot) and day length at that time of year will affect the real drive time and how much daylight you have on either end.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You have to consider that this is not an interstate style drive. Road conditions, weather, delays due to accidents (yep they happen a lot) and day length at that time of year will affect the real drive time and how much daylight you have on either end.
Add rockslides to that list. There's been quite a few rock falls on the Seward Highway just south of Anchorage since the November 30 earthquake.

If you get stuck behind a semi in the snow you are pretty much stuck there. It can be real hard to pass those when they are kicking up a ton of snow making your visibility around zero feet.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 PM

Thanks, folks. Got it. I’ll allow extra time. Good news is, I’ll have already spent a week in the area, on those roads, so I should be a little familiar with them. And if there’s a bad storm / heavy snow / ice, well I’ll have to allow even more time and just take it slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
If you get stuck behind a semi in the snow you are pretty much stuck there. It can be real hard to pass those when they are kicking up a ton of snow making your visibility around zero feet.
In those conditions I wouldn’t even consider passing a big rig on a narrow road. Just tuck in behind it, not too close, and let it lead the way.

Thanks again for the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska