Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:10 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times

Advertisements

Agreed, but still not "high speed"! They just upgraded the equipment from 1mb last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Aren't there over 200 on-line GOOD degree programs in education fields, physiology, etc. available from accredited schools in the $15-20K range? I think you can go from a BS to a Phd in a couple of years.
I dont know about education degrees but engineering masters degrees online from reputable institutions is 30 grand minimum. $1000-$1300 a credit is about standard and all the masters I have found require 30 credits.

Thats alot of money for a hope and a dream that some uniquely positioned manager smiles upon said degree. The only reason I am still strongly considering it is because I think it can provide significant leverage in getting a federal job since their hiring process is extremely rigid and if a masters is a positive requirement the hiring manager cant over look it. The only rub is the vet status angle in fed jobs is STRONG, will the masters beat out a vet if the masters is not explicitly required? I am filing FOIA requests to figure it out.

I am still young enough I could do 20 in the fed.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I dont know about education degrees but engineering masters degrees online from reputable institutions is 30 grand minimum. $1000-$1300 a credit is about standard and all the masters I have found require 30 credits.

Thats alot of money for a hope and a dream that some uniquely positioned manager smiles upon said degree. The only reason I am still strongly considering it is because I think it can provide significant leverage in getting a federal job since their hiring process is extremely rigid and if a masters is a positive requirement the hiring manager cant over look it. The only rub is the vet status angle in fed jobs is STRONG, will the masters beat out a vet if the masters is not explicitly required? I am filing FOIA requests to figure it out.

I am still young enough I could do 20 in the fed.
I would be surprised if you are correct on cost, but I have a good record of being mistaken Have you obtained quotes on that or? If the program is accredited then it is reputable - else worthless.

After I retired I moved to SW Virginia and most of the places there required a masters for an entry level position. Several friends worked at Eastman Chemical in Kingsport, TN (about 40 miles) and they ALL had doctorates, some had two.

I can answer you Q about vets. I am a Viet Nam vet from USMC in 1065's era. If the job doesn't require a masters and a vet with same qualifications applies they will get the preference - as it should be. A combat vet gets an EXTRA point - as it should be.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:05 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Living in the bush, one takes for granted the internet. I’m paying $150 a month for 40 gigs. Last year it was same price for 10 gigs. Problem though is, it isn’t high speed.

I keep forgetting that we are moving to the road where internet will really be high speed and affordable.

BUT - you said you're coming back to town so the limitations should be gone. Not sure what Music_Man's limitation is because 5 Mb is plenty to stream video. I only had 5 in Virginia and never has an issue with Amazon Prime, but never tried Netflix.

Some of the carriers are misleading folks with their speed claims. They will give them 10 Mb but in bursts and then wait then another burst. That will kill a video stream.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
I'm getting about 5mbps outside of Fairbanks, which is much, much faster than what I used to get, and makes me feel pretty fancy.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I would be surprised if you are correct on cost, but I have a good record of being mistaken Have you obtained quotes on that or? If the program is accredited then it is reputable - else worthless.

After I retired I moved to SW Virginia and most of the places there required a masters for an entry level position. Several friends worked at Eastman Chemical in Kingsport, TN (about 40 miles) and they ALL had doctorates, some had two.

I can answer you Q about vets. I am a Viet Nam vet from USMC in 1065's era. If the job doesn't require a masters and a vet with same qualifications applies they will get the preference - as it should be. A combat vet gets an EXTRA point - as it should be.
Yep, thats kinda why I am hesitant on even getting the masters and yes those are the costs (I have checked Purdue and Johns hopkins). From the federal job searching I have done for engineering I cant recall any that have a masters as a positive requirement so I stopped applying for federal jobs about 5 months ago. If they want me some day for some reason they can call me lol. I dont think vet status is a tie breaker, I think they get substantial preference, it will be interesting to see if the army corp ever gets back to my FOIA request so I can see what a winning applicants resume looks like. There was a guy on some other form I was reading who does alot of FOIA requests and there are an over whelming number of vets getting federal jobs.

I am not so sure I agree that is the way it should be, as a tie breaker, sure, but I dont think vet status is a tie breaker. I think they are pretty much a shoe in unless the job is so specialized and difficult that they are forced to hire some kind of super specialized civilian with 2 PhD's who invented cold fusion.

I am disappointed that Trump did not get rid of the double taxation for expats working over seas. Working over seas and building up duel citizenship time could have been a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska