Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times

Advertisements

Or something like "Glock Owners Club President".
The Cardboard over the radiator really helps the engine warm up in cold(-25 and lower) weather. Some big rigs have lovers on the front that they can close in cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 5,429 times
Since we are complete newbies to Alaska, I have nixed this idea based on your wise counsel.

That leaves 1) ferry onward to Whittier, and drive on up since the schedule doesn't post any cross gulf ferries this winter (They post the schedule all at once, right?) or 2) fly with 2 checked dogs.

Any experience with Alaska Airlines flying dogs in winter? Logic tells me that if they couldn't manage it, word would leak out, and I have seen dog crates being checked on my flights out. I have one senior border / lab x and one 10 year old corgi.

I so appreciate all your input; it is invaluable.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
The ferry does not run to Whittier during the winter. As for AK Airlines transporting dogs, seasons make no difference to them, if you have the funds they will ship the dogs.

Additionally, driving from Whittier to Fairbanks does not alleviate the inherent risks one may encounter along the road except minor differences, like an increase in traffic, which can be a hazard in and of itself. The cold, the dark, the road conditions and the wildlife are still present.

If you are intent on making the trip and air travel is a viable option, I heartily recommend you opt for that. Besides, by making such a journey by car during the dead of winter, you will all miss out on the fantastic scenery that Alaska has to offer. Save that mode of transport and the time it takes to enjoy the trip for another time during the month of June, or late August/early September, if at all possible.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
The ferry does not run to Whittier during the winter. As for AK Airlines transporting dogs, seasons make no difference to them, if you have the funds they will ship the dogs.

Additionally, driving from Whittier to Fairbanks does not alleviate the inherent risks one may encounter along the road except minor differences, like an increase in traffic, which can be a hazard in and of itself. The cold, the dark, the road conditions and the wildlife are still present.

If you are intent on making the trip and air travel is a viable option, I heartily recommend you opt for that. Besides, by making such a journey by car during the dead of winter, you will all miss out on the fantastic scenery that Alaska has to offer. Save that mode of transport and the time it takes to enjoy the trip for another time during the month of June, or late August/early September, if at all possible.
It looks, as near as I can read the ferry schedule, and I am calling on Monday to talk to a rep, that Whitter is serviced from Cordova by the Aurora. Now, of course, if there is anyway to get to Cordova on another ferry. I have a niece in ANC and our property is in Salcha, near family. We are moving household, or what's left of it, next summer. Just didn't want to sit out the winter with a completed property.

You may be correct that flying up may be the best option.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallonite View Post
Since we are complete newbies to Alaska, I have nixed this idea based on your wise counsel.

That leaves 1) ferry onward to Whittier, and drive on up since the schedule doesn't post any cross gulf ferries this winter (They post the schedule all at once, right?) or 2) fly with 2 checked dogs.

Any experience with Alaska Airlines flying dogs in winter? Logic tells me that if they couldn't manage it, word would leak out, and I have seen dog crates being checked on my flights out. I have one senior border / lab x and one 10 year old corgi.

I so appreciate all your input; it is invaluable.
I have shipped various pets including dogs on Alaska and felt they did take good care of them. Their website gives all the info you'll need to prepare. They don't book pet reservations on weekends for some reason.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I have shipped various pets including dogs on Alaska and felt they did take good care of them. Their website gives all the info you'll need to prepare. They don't book pet reservations on weekends for some reason.
Oh thank you. The Husband is adamantly against it. I may have to find youtube videos to convince him.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:20 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
"no borough"
The Xtra Tuff box. Coors, Budweiser. Nix the Huggies or Pampers boxes.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallonite View Post
It looks, as near as I can read the ferry schedule, and I am calling on Monday to talk to a rep, that Whitter is serviced from Cordova by the Aurora. Now, of course, if there is anyway to get to Cordova on another ferry. I have a niece in ANC and our property is in Salcha, near family. We are moving household, or what's left of it, next summer. Just didn't want to sit out the winter with a completed property.

You may be correct that flying up may be the best option.
Have you thought about driving up on the AlCan?

Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Have you thought about driving up on the AlCan?
The car is a 2007 Rav and while I believe it has another 250k miles in it, I don't think either we or the car are hardened enough to take the distance and the weather of early December of the Alcan. I did not realize the Haines road was even more adventuresome.

My preference was the ferry, because the Old Man is over 65 now, and the fares have dropped for the winter. I wanted to cut out as much of the driving as I could for the first drive up. When I noticed the schedule this year had no cross-gulf crossings from Bellingham to Whittier, I tried to plot an alternate route, so I was curious how difficult the Haines - Fairbanks route would be.

I'm convinced from the feedback that this is not a wise choice for 2 seniors and 2 senior dogs to drive up on their first trip.

We should wait until summer, but dagnabbit, the house will be finished in November, and I want to get there and spend the first Christmas with the rest of the family.

So, it looks as if my 2 choices are changing ferries somewhere, or flying us and the dogs up.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:46 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
From someone that is older than your old man, tell him it is perfectly safe to fly dogs on Alaska airlines. The wife does it all the time taking large dogs to shows outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska