Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM

16 posts, read 40,599 times

Advertisements

Well i will be moving to Valdez in may,i need alot of help!! i'm currently living in st petersburg,florida this will be a big change .my husband is getting stationed there.any info would be nice .We will be driving a r.v and was wonder if you can live in it there???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Well, it should not be a problem living in an RV during the summer months, from May through August or so, although it could be a little cool in May. It snows quite a lot in Valdez.
7-Day Zone Forecast for Northeast Prince William Sound

Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM
TMA

26 posts, read 108,061 times
Default Valdez

I've lived in Valdez for just over five years now. Anythng I can help you with I will.

The RV will be no problem in the summer months. There are quite a few people from the states that spend the summer here. Our first snow will come around the end of October. I would try to have something else by then. It does snow quite a bit here - about 30 feet per year...

You mentioned that your husband would be stationed here so I'm guessing that he iss in the C.G. There is a C.G. housing complex here that you should check into.

The local realty place also handles rentals although any rental will be fairly expensive.

If there are any specifics you are lookking for, let me know.

Tim

Old 03-15-2008, 06:16 AM

what kind of jacket will i need

Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 AM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 719,729 times
Jacket? something water resistent or water proof.. Valdez gets lots of snow and lots of days of rain.

But it is one of our favorite places. My 4 sons say this was their favorite place to live. they had so much fun in Valdez during the two years we lived there in the early 90's

Old 03-15-2008, 06:45 AM

thanks did not know about the rains. Is there a name brand jacket? I would like to get one before moving

Old 03-15-2008, 06:54 AM

639 posts, read 1,917,582 times
From what I have learned from this site it is best to wait till you get into the area before buying gear. We are leaving SC in 11 days and we have basic gear but will get " the good stuff" once we get to Fairbanks. There was a thread started a short time ago about gear so maybe do a search and you should find it.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Thanks maybe i'll just wait.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1951 View Post
Thanks maybe i'll just wait.
Just wait until you get to Alaska to buy rain gear and such, although shops will be limited in Valdez. You may have to take a trip to Fairbanks or Anchorage if you have to buy a lot of stuff.

For rain gear, it's hard to beat Halley Hansen "Impertech" (something like that) bibs and jacket. I like the OD green ones. Theye are made of a lightweight material that allows perspiration to scape. I always buy roomy rain gear that allows the wearing or warm layers underneath when needed. This way I stay warm on cool days. The only thing I don't like about these and other rain gear is having to take my pants down just to stand in front of the urinal

Old 03-15-2008, 12:45 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Thompson's Pass

One of the Falls in Keystone Canyon

Keystone Canyon

The Harbor in Valdez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska