Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 40,557 times

Advertisements

we will be driving up and renting a furnished apt. we still own a home in florida so we are keeping everything here at home.the r.v. we are putting into storage for now.so i guess whatever we do it will be in a hotel for this tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
You will love the drive through Canada. I would assume you both will enter Canada probably up toward Calgary. I am sure you have read enough advice on this site to fill a book on what, where and how to do. So, it is good luck to you both. Incidently, I was stationed in Florida in the beginning 50s at Cape Canaveral since changed to Cape Kennedy. I've had some fond memories
of Florida. As I have repeated many a time, bring a durable sign to nail up in the City of Signs located in Watson Lake, Yukon Terr. There are literally hundreds of old car license plates from every state dating back to the 40s as well as thousands of homemade but cute memorbilias posted there.
May the Lord see you both safely through.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
Dreamer1951 This is a good website that includes a journal about driving from florida to alaska Travel Journal - FL to AK

Last edited by Rance; 04-20-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 PM

thankyou for the site i have alot of reading to do

Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 AM

Well hello again.Looks like we will be here in Florida for another month they just can't seem to let us go,looks like we will be coming in july now sure do hope there are rental units open .

Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,448 times
Default Arriving in Feb.'09

Did not realize moving would be so costly.I have a small pickup , so hauling a trailer 3600 miles isn't a good idea.I researched the marine highway , several cargo barges , pods, trucking companies and u-haul w/tow dolly , and the cost is between $4,200 and $5,500 . The only affordable option would be to fit whatever I can in my pickup & drive up ( does anyone have any suggestions or advice) I will be renting and have made contact with several rentals one was fully furnished.I am on a fixed income so I'm a little nervous about moving this far , but have dreamed of this for over 35 years.I understand the days are longer in summer and shorter in winter.Can anyone tell me time of sunrise and sunset in Valdez?

Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM

well you will find that it is a BIG difference from Florida to Alaska we moved to Valdez in june of this year and made the drive..It's not bad but very long.We currently live in a furnished apt and it was the best thing for us we don't have the high cost of fuel for winter heating..Things here cost alittle more and the price of gas here is around 3.62.If you are on a fixed income you should really think about renting a apt to help keep your cost down.the sunrise here now is alittle after 10am and sunset around 3:45.Hope you enjoy the drive make sure you have a camera..Godd luck

Old 12-21-2008, 12:19 PM

Northeast Prince William Sound, AKEnter Your "City, ST" or zip code NWS Anchorage, AK
Zone Forecast: [SIZE=3]Northeast Prince William Sound[/SIZE]Last Update: 400 PM AKST THU DEC 18 2008

Hazardous weather condition(s):
[CENTER]
Short Term Forecast
[/CENTER]

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Lows around 10 above except around 5 below through the pass. Variable winds 10 mph except northeast wind 10 to 25 mph through the pass.

Friday And Friday Night...Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers. Highs in the mid 20s except around 15 through the pass. Lows around 15 except around 5 above through the pass. East winds to 20 mph.

Saturday...Partly sunny with isolated snow showers. Highs in the mid 20s except around 15 through the pass. Variable winds to 15 mph.

Saturday Night...Clear skies. Lows around 15 except around zero through the pass. North winds to 20 mph.

Sunday...Sunny. Highs 25 to 30.

Sunday Night...Clear skies. Lows in the mid teens.

Monday...Sunny. Highs in the mid 20s.

Monday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows 15 to 20.

Tuesday...Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 20s.

Tuesday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows 15 to 20.

Wednesday Through Thursday...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs 20 to 25. Lows 15 to 20.

TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION

VALDEZ 10 24 16 24 / 0 30 40 0

LocationTime
(akst)Sky/WeatherTemp.
(ºF)Wind
(mph)Valdez 209:56Fair14NE 5Valdez Weather Station Office

Forecast DiscussionText Only ForecastWebmaster
National Weather Service:
Anchorage, AK

Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Travel Journal - FL to AK this is a great website to look at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska