Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes you a Sourdough?
Born/and or raised 0 0%
After one winter 0 0%
10, 25 or 50 yr resident 10 55.56%
Other 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:34 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I could do that Have skinny-dipped in glacial run-off up in the Sierra Nevadas during March. I think it was about 7000 ft. Also have gone in the little Susitna River just recently... I don't know how cold the Yukon is relative to these others but it can't be that far off.

River swimming is exhilarating.
Interesting! The people who own the cabin next to mine did a raft trip on the little Su and had a funny story about one in their party "going" over the front of the raft as they rounded a corner with a lot of people on the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
The local labor pool is that bad that you have to ship in workers? Not blaming you, just curious. Does this mean a hard working young guy can find work in the southeast fishing industry? What are the requirements, not showing up for work drunk ?

I don't agree with the Mormons religious views, but have to hand it to them that they are some of the hardest working, nicest people I've ever met. I'm glad to have some as neighbors. It's hard not to like them. They definitely won't be showing up to work drunk.
We have a certain amount of local workers who come back every year because they want to work summers and chill during the off time, so it works well for them. But most locals need year-round work, which is understandable, so yeah, locals who want to work seasonal are in fairly short supply. Most businesses are short handed here during the summer. In good fish years, hardworking young guys that come to work here are usually poached away by seine captains, although it didn't work that way this year because crew shares were nothing.

Importing has its drawbacks, too. Had to put one guy off the property in June because of his drinking and hitting on women, me included. I can't believe the asshat had the nerve; it was one wtf moment after another for awhile there.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-25-2016 at 02:50 AM..

Old 09-25-2016, 09:32 AM

10,565 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Article from the ADN, regarding what makes someone a "true Alaskan"

"....Level Six -- You live completely off the grid. Only a handful of people know where you are -- probably somewhere in the Kobuk or Chandalar River Valleys or deep in the Wrangell Mountains. You trap, hunt, fish, gather and save for a battery-powered radio, have no contact with the outside world. However, you aren't consumed with the notion that you are a true Alaskan because you consider the bush pilot who delivers your mail and supplies twice a year the truest Alaskan of them all.

In truth, being a true Alaskan isn't what toys you own, where in the state you reside, what activities you engage in or how long you've lived here. It's what you think -- a state of mind."

Old 09-25-2016, 06:42 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I could do that Have skinny-dipped in glacial run-off up in the Sierra Nevadas during March. I think it was about 7000 ft. Also have gone in the little Susitna River just recently... I don't know how cold the Yukon is relative to these others but it can't be that far off.

River swimming is exhilarating.
Yay!! I've swam in Sierra snowmelt at about 7500-8000ft and also have yet to find out which is colder, but I intend to find out. Sierra snowmelt was damn cold, for sure.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:24 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Katzpur -- couldn't help but notice your status. I'm looking for Mormons to come to work for me next summer. Interested?
Call BYU and see if they'll let you recruit some students: https://home.byu.edu/home/

Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Default What makes you a Sourdough?

Being originally from San Francisco?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Being originally from San Francisco?
We got some sourdough when we were in San Francisco a few years ago. That was some good stuff!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
We got some sourdough when we were in San Francisco a few years ago. That was some good stuff!
That and Anchor Steam beer are about the only good things to come out of San Francisco in my opinion. Can you get either of them in Alaska?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska