Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 PM

7 posts, read 31,619 times

Advertisements

I've seen this question asked a million times, some questions answered, some not. My fiance is working as a correctional officer/prison guard here in Hutchinson, Kansas. He's trying to get into highway patrol or a sheriff's department. I was looking around today for jobs for him and an Alaska Highway Patrol ad came up in the Kansas City paper. It'd be paying quite a bit more than he's making now, so we've been tossing the idea around. We're both liking the idea. Here's a few general questions:
1. I know the median rent is between $800 and $900, are there many places less than that?
2. What are the gas price ranges?
3. We usually buy groceries day-by-day, whats the average for say, a week or two?
4. What's cell phone reception like?
5. We both have the horrible tobacco habit. What are the prices of cigarettes and chewing tobacco?
6. What's a good estimate for utilities a month?
7. What's the average price for a pair of jeans, shoes, other clothing items?
8. What's the wear and tear on vehicles? Along with that, are workers good at clearing the roads for travel or do you just have to stick it out?

As you can tell, I'm more interested in the cost of living, just plain general knowledge that helps with paying the bills. I think everyone knows that it's going to be a bit colder in Alaska than in the lower states, but weather doesn't pay the bills. Anything else that you could tell me would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Can of snuff...6 or 7 bucks depending on where you buy it. Gallon of milk...3.50 give or take. I've been out of town a week and don't know what gas prices are right now! Depending on the area you live in...rent varies.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Rent could be much more that $800.00 to $900.00 depending on what you want. For example, a relatively nice (not a dump) 1-bedroom apartment in Fairbanks may be $800.00 to $900.00, but a 2-bedroom one often costs more. Sometimes you have to pay for the utilities, but not always, and most apartments are furnished. A gallon of gasoline this week costs around $3.09 for unleaded, and around $3.21 for medium-grade. Much more for super. Smoking may limit your choices of apartment, and the same goes for pets.

Electricity should be around $60.00 (or more) per month, small apartment, although it could be higher during the winter since you have to plug the car to the electrical outlet in the parking lot. Cell phone reception is fine, specially if using AT&T, ACS, GCI, etc. Lots of folks have other than local service, and it works fine too. If you have an iPhone, it will work just fine up here.

The cost of living is high up here, and that's why the the wages are higher. Winters are extremely tough to vehicles, specially in the interior (around Fairbanks). The roads may often be icy and slippery during the winter months, but they are plowed in short order after snowfalls.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
State Troopers usually are moved around quite a bit their first few years. You might serve in the bush for awhile. No roads there and cost of living very high but I think they give you a cost of living allowance.

They you would move a couple more times before they settle you down. I'm not sure exactly how they do it but I do know they would move you around a bit.

They are definetely looking for troopers and the people that I know like their job. Takes a special person to be a trooper.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 AM

21 posts, read 65,817 times
Try the APD (Anchorage Police Department) first. Their web page is: index The pay is better. Besides you won't have to move around a lot like the Troopers do. Your spouse will still go through their academy but for the shorter version. But if moving to Alaska is urgent, Trooper will be a good start.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM

63 posts, read 278,767 times
I am getting ready to move to the Anchorage area. I have been up there many times. I would say give yourself $1000 for rent or more just to be on the safe side if in the Anchorage area. I have a BA in Criminology and with the Troopers they do move you around alot until after a couple years and then if they have an opening you can settle down. If you get stuck in the "Bush" rent can be much higher. When i was in Anchorage this time last year at Walmart Marlboro Menthol were around $75 a carton. Due to the cost of cigs my now ex-husband and myself quite smoking. Plus as a Police Officer many departments won't let you smoke anyways. The gas was the same price as it was in Kentucky when i was their last year. As in food the only thing I saw a big jump in price was with red meat. This time last year T-mobile was my cell phone carrier, and I really didn't have many problems. Only trouble i had was in between Wasilla(suburb) and Anchorage in areas. I hope this helps a bit.

Cynthia

Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
why don't you do what a bunch of us did years ago...move up here and find out?
I guess confidence in oneself, and the willing to take a risk is out of fashion down there now. Oh well, so much the better for us.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 AM

50 posts, read 174,950 times
Like with any move location is your key. The bush is very isolated and expensive. Anchorage has most big chain retail stores. To get an idea of prices for everyday items like food and clothing go to the phone company ACS's website.

Alaska Wireless, Alaska Communication Systems, Alaska Internet

There you can follow links to find out about their services, including cell & internet coverage. At the bottom of the first page it has a link to ACSYellowpages

Alaska's Yellow Pages Find Local Businesses

Browse for what ever kind of stores and/or services you are looking for. Some have webpages.

For example if you go to the web pages for Fred Meyer's, Safeway or Walmart you can enter an Anchorage zip code to see the stores current newspaper ad. This will give you some idea of the normal prices for everyday items.

Fred Meyer: Home Page (http://www.fredmeyer.com/homepage/index.htm - broken link)

Some Anchorage zip codes: 99504 99515 Soldotna 99669

It's a big move and not everyone is "Alaska" material. There is an expression that is something like "Some people step off the airplane and are Alaskans, some live here there entire life and never are".

Keep asking questions and keep an open mind. There are pro's & con's. Personally I would not raise my kids any where else. Tried Washington state & California and Alaska is definitely the safest choice for me.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default try using the "search" function

Try using the "search" function, it's one of the options in the blue bar up top of this page. There was a very similar thread in the last couple weeks, might point out some areas of interest for you.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,526 times
Default Moved from the south

I moved to Fairbanks, AK last March from GA. I knew the cost of living was higher, but nothing could have prepared me for the drastic difference. In GA a pack of Camels cost me $2.99, up here they cost me $5.99. Your grocery bill will blow you away. A few examples: A gallon of milk where I am is over $4. In GA it was only $2.50. A pound of cheap ground beef is also over $4. I can get lean ground beef back home for less than a dollar a pound. Cheese is expensive too. The same block of chedder that I get in GA for $2.50 is $6 here. I use to buy a head of iceberg lettuce in GA for $1, up here is about $3. Gas at my store is $4.41/Gal. We don't pay sales tax, but it's still a big price difference from what I'm use to.

I haven't seem too much difference in the price of clothes. We have a Super Walmart in Fairbanks and you can still get a pair of jeans for about $25. I've noticed that tobacco is more expensive in Anchorage, but I haven't seen many other differences.

My electric bill is between $50 and $100/month. My apartment manager pays for the heating fuel. Most buildings are heated by fuel. The system looks like a mini old fashioned radiator heater running along the baseboards. It is more than sufficient in my place. I thought I was going to sufficate the first time I turned it on. There is no central A/C here. If you do move up here, buy a window fan for the summer. It does get hot in July. I have a tiny 2 BR apartment with a kitchen/living room combo and 1 bath. My rent is $1,000/month

We shipped our Jeep up here when we moved. so far, we havent had any unusual wear on the vehicle. We were lucky enough to get an apartment with a garage. Otherwise we would have to plug the Jeep in during the winter to keep it from freezing.

I despise all the cellphone companies here. I got terrible service from the first two I tried. So, when I went back to GA for vacation this spring, I renewed my contract with Verizon. They cover Alaska, but they have no offices here. My cable/homephone/internet bill is over $300/month and I dont even have any special features. I guess when you are the only cable company in town, you can charge whatever you want. Some areas don't have DSL yet. When they get it where I live, Im switching.

The road systems within Fairbanks and Anchorage are kept clear during the winter. The main highway between these two cities is also kept clear. When the snow melts in the spring, you get to see how bad the roads look. I'm sure you've been down or seen some unkept backroads - badly covered potholes, no lines on the road, almost rough enough to be gravel. Well, that's how the MAIN HIGHWAYS in Alaska look.

I hope this was helpful. Email me if you have any more questions. shashenash @ Yahoo

Last edited by Shashenash; 09-10-2008 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska