Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:45 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

A family friend is visiting Fairbanks in a couple of weeks, leaving from Anchorage via train. However, he also wants to take another train ride a couple of days before coming to Fairbanks, and was asking me if I know which one of the following stops would be the most scenic (he wants to take photos and things like that). I have no idea relating to which stop area would be scenic or not, but if you happen to know, would you please let me know on this thread?

Leaving Anchorage, and stopping at the destinations below:

a. Talkeetna, 226 miles
b. Chase, 236.2 miles
c. Curry, 248.5 miles
d. Deadhorse, 248.7 miles
e. Sherman, 257.7 miles
f. Gold Creeck, 263.2 miles
g. Canyon, 268.4 miles
h. Twin Bridges, 270 miles
i. Chulitna, 273.8 miles
j. Hurricane, 281.4 miles
k. Denali Crossing, 348.2 miles
l. Healy, 358.7 miles

Your help would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
Depends on the weather. If clear you cant beat the view of Denali. Have him stop in Talkeetna and walk around town and pet the mayor if it's not to cold. Or he could just park his self in the dinning car and eat and drink all the way to Fairbanks. And if he is as talented as you, he could sit in the dome car and take pictures!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Depends on the weather. If clear you cant beat the view of Denali. Have him stop in Talkeetna and walk around town and pet the mayor if it's not to cold. Or he could just park his self in the dinning car and eat and drink all the way to Fairbanks. And if he is as talented as you, he could sit in the dome car and take pictures!
Thanks, Music_Man.

I lived in Anchorage back in the late '70s, but never took a train ride anywhere out of Anchorage. I haven't been in Anchorage probably for a couple of decades

Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I'm not sure the train stops for very long, if at all, at many of these places.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not sure the train stops for very long, if at all, at many of these places.
What he was to do is to spend a day or so (with his wife) looking around and taking photos. They are from Florida, and have no experience driving in Alaska during the winter. Once they are in Fairbanks for a day or two I will do the driving for them

I have been in Alaska for quite a long time, but I have never participated in any of the tours or tourist's hangouts. Have to do a little digging around to see if I can find something for them to do between Anchorage and Fairbanks.

I figured what AK RR page he was looking at (the page with Winter Travel). He asked about Talkeetna, so I imagine he can find a hotel to stay at for the night.
https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-...aurora-winter?

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-13-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 01:14 PM

Well, places like Curry aren't really tourists' hangouts. There's nothing there -- no train depot, nothing. A very small number of local residents (but I don't know if anyone still actually lives out there) might still use the train for trips to town. Same with a few others. Gold Creek is just...a creek. If they got dropped off in a place like that, they'd have to spend the night waiting for the train to come back. They should go to Talkeetna, maybe Healy. Not sure if anything's open in Denali for them to stay during winter.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-13-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, places like Curry aren't really tourists' hangouts. There's nothing there -- no train depot, nothing. A very small number of local residents (but I don't know if anyone still actually lives out there) might still use the train for trips to town. Same with a few others. Gold Creek is just...a creek. If they got dropped off in a place like that, they'd have to spend the night waiting for the train to come back. They should go to Talkeetna, maybe Healy. Not sure if anything's open in Denali for them to stay during winter.
I imagine that Denali is closed for winter. It would be a lot better for them to visit during the summer, but he wants to spend a few days in Alaska hoping to see the Auroras among other things. My niece and fiancé visited us a couple of years ago during the summer and had a great time. They spent a couple of days in Anchorage, then flew to Fairbanks to spend a few days with us. I drove them down the Richardson toward Summit Lake, and took a bunch of photos of wildlife (caribou, moose, and so on). Then I drove them to Healy where they spend a day or so on a tour to the park. From Healy they traveled to Anchorage via the AK RR Denali Star and had a blast with the scenery.

I am going to tell him to scratch all of those stops, except for Talkeetna. I really think that a short helicopter tour out of Anchorage would be a better idea for them, but in reality I don't know much about such things.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:03 PM

What about going up to Chena Hot Springs for a couple of days?

I think there are one or two small lodges in Denali that stay open for winter guests. I want to say Earthsong, but that was several years ago so who knows.

Talkeetna in the winter is a great experience. They'll be able to see the real town without the layer of summer tourists. Climbing season starts in Feb., so there will be a few visitors, but nothing like during summer.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:15 PM

Here's the link for the Earthsong place. It looks pretty nice, and they could go on a dogsled trip.

Stay at EarthSong Lodge for comfortable Alaska cabin lodging near Denali National Park, Alaska.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:58 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
Talkeetna, fo sho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska