Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 09:32 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,262,755 times

Advertisements

I have some friends coming up to visit next summer, so I'm doing some trip planning now. Is it feasible to take the train from Anchorage to Talkeetna then hook up with a flightseeing outfit (ie Talkeetna Air) to fly over Denali?

Just not sure where the train drops at Talkeetna. I live in Alaska, so I'm not completely green here, but I don't want to be walking six miles down the highway into town.

Our alternative to flying from Kenai to Anchorage then taking the train -- is to make the drive from Soldotna all the way to Talkeetna. That's a pretty hefty drive...

Cheers, thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,796,091 times
It stops at the Talkeetna Lodge, which I think is less than a mile from town. Should be no problem, but if your friends are elderly or otherwise can't walk it, there are shuttles to town. Whatever air service you use could probably pick you up, too, I'd go with Sheldon Air if I were you.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,678,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I have some friends coming up to visit next summer, so I'm doing some trip planning now. Is it feasible to take the train from Anchorage to Talkeetna then hook up with a flightseeing outfit (ie Talkeetna Air) to fly over Denali?

Just not sure where the train drops at Talkeetna. I live in Alaska, so I'm not completely green here, but I don't want to be walking six miles down the highway into town.

Our alternative to flying from Kenai to Anchorage then taking the train -- is to make the drive from Soldotna all the way to Talkeetna. That's a pretty hefty drive...

Cheers, thanks for any input!

I was just there in Oct as a tourist, so the natives almost certainly have better info, but here goes. The train from Anchorage to Talkeetna is a lot of fun and IMO sure beats driving. Here's a photo taken at the Talkeetna stop -- air service right across the parking lot. Have fun!

Anchorage to Talkeetna-p1020910.jpg

Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,624,649 times
Trip Advisor is another great spot for researching touristy type stuff: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States - TripAdvisor
The Alaska Railroad offers a McKinley flight plus railroad tour: Alaska Railroad - Travel - McKinley Flyer Tour
But, I think a better way to do it is to get to Talkeetna by car and do the flight. I've done a McKinley flight with K2 before: K2 Aviation: The Denali Flightseeing Company
Then for a train ride, do one to Seward. It's more scenic and train takes a different route through the mountains, so you see scenery you can't see from the highway. While in Seward for the day, you could take a Kenai Fjords boat tour.
You mentioned flying to Kenai and then taking the train.... The train doesn't go to Kenai. Just Seward. And there's no commercial flights to Seward.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice, folks. It's much appreciated.

AKStafford, I live in Soldotna now. The flight would be from Kenai to Anchorage, where we'd hop onto the train from there onto Talkeetna. But you bring up a good point, that we could drive over to Seward then just ride the train on up from there. I'll look into it.

We've done a Kenai Fjords tour before. Those are pretty fun, but I think for my visiting friend, we'll cruise on down to Seldovia and Jakaloff Bay for some fun exploring, camping and hikes. I love the south side of Kachemak Bay so much!

Last edited by jabogitlu; 12-04-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 12:13 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,172,913 times
Take them on a Mahay's tour while you're up there. I've done one trip on the Devil's Canyon tour, a whole lot of fun! It's a five hour boat ride.

Mahay's Riverboat Service - Fishing Charters & Jetboat Safaris in Talkeetna Alaska

Old 12-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Hey, that looks really awesome! Thanks for the tip. It's definitely going on my itinerary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska