Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 AM

230 posts, read 430,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I have a better idea. Get your pilot's license, then move to the bush and build your hours from there. Learning to fly in AK is going to be really expensive and affording a plane is off the charts.

Get yourself a basic single engine commerical license and get on with one of the bush carriers. I always seemed to end up with the new guys, once flying out from Bethel to Quinhagak with a guy who was making his first flight under the guidance of a bush pilot who looked the part.
It has been many years since I lived up there, but it doesn't sound like much has changed. When I moved up there, I thought I was going to learn to fly and buy a plane. My coworkers, a couple of whom had or did own a plane, quickly disabused me of that notion by relating the cold, hard financial facts. I did spend a lot of time in bush planes though, but as a passenger, not a pilot. I soon learned that it was a hard and dangerous way to make a living.

I worked out of Anchorage traveling to job sites scattered across the state and frequently took a cab to the airport. It was not unusual to find the cab driver was a licensed commercial pilot who thought he would go to Alaska and make his fortune, only to end up flying a cab because there were so many pilots competing for so few pilot jobs, most of which paid a pittance. Being a cabby was a better deal.

Last edited by FrogCross; 09-30-2015 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:27 PM

131 posts, read 156,429 times
Thanks, Frogcross for your comment. I'm watching this thread like a hawk because I want to leave soon. I have no illusions of making a go as a pilot, I just want to learn to fly. I watched the STOL guys come in on the Knik River and it looked awesome. If I have to drive a cab, so be it, it would be a step up from being a line cook. And as for actually buying a plane, I actually never even considered it until I read your post. Maybe something else to work towards, a kind of unobtanium.

I'm hoping to keep my feet on the ground about all this so I'm not totally disappointed. But I am going to give it my best shot. I have to get some good tires on my truck and buy a few other minor things, then I'm going to head out. I'm in Livingston, MT.

Last edited by Rockskipper; 09-30-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 01:43 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
I have to get some good tires on my truck and buy a few other minor things, then I'm going to head out. I'm in Livingston, MT.
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, be sure and grab a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion, it's the essential guide to the drive.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Thanks, AK. I have an old one I got at the free library bin here. Should still work. I have parts of it memorized.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:41 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Just for a little more background - I lived in a teepee in the Montana mountains for several years, winter and summer. Saw a few grizzlies out there, but we got along OK (mutual respect, you leave me alone and I'll do the same - gulp). I'm currently living in my truck. I have a small propane heater in the shell and lots of down bags. I know it's lots colder in Alaska, but I think I can survive OK. I can always build a fire and sleep by it - I checked out the Knik and other people say they're doing it (right out of Palmer on the Old Glen H.). I can live on almost nothing and I have a good attitude, so people hire me, and I keep clean.

I can't afford flying lessons, so I'm hoping once up there I can hang out at the Palmer Airport and maybe trade some work for flights - you know, clean the plane, hanger, whatever I can do. guys and gals, I've been on my own since I was 14 as my dad kicked me out for complaining about his drinking, so I'm pretty much a can-do guy. I hope I fit in with all you sourdoughs. Any more advice very welcome.

And NomadAK - any ideas for me? You sound like a pilot.
Not a pilot but spent a fair amount of time in small planes flying across the tundra.

The plan you have isn't going to work I'm afraid, keep in mind that working at an airport, even a small one, isnt a trivial kind of deal. You do have to be cleared through DHS like any other airport worker and if you are going to go through that you might as well work out at the big airport, busting bags and gassing planes.

Also, before you can get flying lessons you have ground school and a physical to get through. You should get an idea of the entire process, before coming up here for the dream. Some goals can be won through sheer force of will and enthusiasm but earning a living as a bush pilot isn't one of them.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks, GnomadAK. I have no illusions of working as a bush pilot, I just want to learn how to fly. I can easily pass a physical, I'm very fit and have no problems (sight, heart, etc.). I have actually memorized everything in a somewhat dated ground school book and know it pretty well, though I know that's not the same as actually doing it. I've hung around lots of small airports - I tend to gravitate towards them, and have talked to lots of pilots. If I can get work at a big airport, I'd be in heaven, but I'm hoping some of the smaller places with guys who have their planes in their own hangers will let me help them in trade for a flight or two. I used to have a friend who would let me fly with him on flightseeing tours if he had an open seat in exchange for helping him with grunt work. He moved on to a place in Colorado, so that ended. Maybe I need to find an even smaller airport, like Talkeetna or something? I dunno. Seems like a small place would be more likely to help me get started.

In any case, I just got new tires today and am now organizing for the trip. I have a passport and a little cash and a bunch of dehydrated food a friend's wife gave me, plus lots of propane and warm clothes. I'll be heading out soon, depending on the weather. WIsh me luck and any other comments very welcome.

OK, I'm editing this to add that I'm going to leave tomorrow. I'm excited and no point in waiting. Saw it was snowing in Anchorage. Time to go.

Last edited by Rockskipper; 09-30-2015 at 04:23 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 05:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
You might want to think about hitting up Chena Hot Springs for winter work.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Awesome idea - I wouldn't get so cold, could soak in the hot springs.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Dude, don't be a knucklehead. Don't come up here in the winter. Have you seen the weather we've been getting? I mean it's not cold (it's about 14* right now), but I have gotten over 2-feet of snow at my place in the past seven days. There were 21,000 people without power... 6k today. And heed the advice above about working in an airport. In this post-9/11 world you will have to get a TWIC card which is sometimes not all that simple. Have you ever been in trouble?

About working out at Chena Hot Springs, where would you live? There's not a lot of rentals out there and that's a helluva long drive and a lot of $fuel from town. I have a buddy that works out there giving sled tours. If I see her I'll try to remember to ask her about accommodations for employees.

If you had $2k and you had to put good tires on your pickup then by my calculation you've got about $1200 or less left. Don't be a knucklehead. Don't come up here in winter. Really. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I am trying to help you. This is not a good idea.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Chena Hot Springs offers free housing to employees -- how the hell do you think they get the help they need so far out of town? That's why I suggested it. Newcomers to Alaska could do a lot worse, and given this guy's budget (provided he's not a troll), something like that is his best bet.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-01-2015 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska