Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

EMPLOYMENT -

Quote:
All employees working at Chena Hot Springs Resort have the option to live on property. Employment includes free room and board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
I didn't know that but it makes sense, lol. I should have figured you knew what was up, Met. haha. And yes, newcomers could do a heck of a lot worse!!

Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
That's okay...figured maybe you mistook me for -57 or something.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:19 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Dude, don't be a knucklehead. Don't come up here in the winter. Have you seen the weather we've been getting? I mean it's not cold (it's about 14* right now), but I have gotten over 2-feet of snow at my place in the past seven days. There were 21,000 people without power... 6k today. And heed the advice above about working in an airport. In this post-9/11 world you will have to get a TWIC card which is sometimes not all that simple. Have you ever been in trouble?

About working out at Chena Hot Springs, where would you live? There's not a lot of rentals out there and that's a helluva long drive and a lot of $fuel from town. I have a buddy that works out there giving sled tours. If I see her I'll try to remember to ask her about accommodations for employees.

If you had $2k and you had to put good tires on your pickup then by my calculation you've got about $1200 or less left. Don't be a knucklehead. Don't come up here in winter. Really. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I am trying to help you. This is not a good idea.
Or at all. The last thing we need is more end of roaders with no money, no prospects, and no sense of reality.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:28 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's okay...figured maybe you mistook me for -57 or something.
r

Dammit that's harsh, Met!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
This can't be real, but on a positive note fast food places and other retail jobs always seem to be hiring up here.....
Please, if I had a dollar for every type of person I met in AK that fits the OP persona he is describing, I'd be $$$$

Old 10-11-2015, 06:54 AM

30 posts, read 56,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
Thanks, GnomadAK. I have no illusions of working as a bush pilot, I just want to learn how to fly. I can easily pass a physical, I'm very fit and have no problems (sight, heart, etc.). I have actually memorized everything in a somewhat dated ground school book and know it pretty well, though I know that's not the same as actually doing it. I've hung around lots of small airports - I tend to gravitate towards them, and have talked to lots of pilots. If I can get work at a big airport, I'd be in heaven, but I'm hoping some of the smaller places with guys who have their planes in their own hangers will let me help them in trade for a flight or two. I used to have a friend who would let me fly with him on flightseeing tours if he had an open seat in exchange for helping him with grunt work. He moved on to a place in Colorado, so that ended. Maybe I need to find an even smaller airport, like Talkeetna or something? I dunno. Seems like a small place would be more likely to help me get started.

In any case, I just got new tires today and am now organizing for the trip. I have a passport and a little cash and a bunch of dehydrated food a friend's wife gave me, plus lots of propane and warm clothes. I'll be heading out soon, depending on the weather. WIsh me luck and any other comments very welcome.

OK, I'm editing this to add that I'm going to leave tomorrow. I'm excited and no point in waiting. Saw it was snowing in Anchorage. Time to go.

I'm really curious to know what happened???

Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU2016 View Post
I'm really curious to know what happened???
Might have went tumbling head over heals on the first good corner he came to!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:04 PM

131 posts, read 156,395 times
Hi everyone! Hey, I made it!!!! Long drive, but no problems. I found part-time work for a pilot doing his - are you ready for this - books! LOL. He's a chronic procrastinator and is letting me stay in his hanger office (I sleep on a cot) in exchange for organizing all his paperwork and a bunch of tools and parts (mostly junk) - we're talking years worth, none of it very important stuff, but he's kind of a packrat. He's an older guy and about ready to give up flying since he doesn't think he can pass his next physical, but he's starting to show me some mechanic stuff on his Cessna. I love it here and am looking for work as a cook part-time to make the cash I need to take lessons, since I don't need to pay rent I should be able to take a few lessons once I get a job. If I can make this work through the winter, I'm hoping things will get even better as I meet more people. Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Alaska's great. Only problem so far is I had to get a tooth pulled, but I survived.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:16 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,463 times
Oldschool Alaskans are packrats not because of hoarding tendencies, but of neccessity borne of the uncertain supply chain. If it might be useful later, don't throw it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska