Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,031 times

Advertisements

MAINEr,

We live in Wasilla Alaska. Wasilla is the commercial hub for the MatSu Borough(county).
We are ten miles from Palmer Alaska. Each location has a population of about 30,000, more or less.

For the smaller place to build your cabin consider small towns just outside
of Wasilla and Palmer. For example, Willow or Sutton. Willow is getting popular and land values
are starting to climb. Now would be a good time to get a piece of property there.

The locals refer to this part of Alaska as the Valley. We believe that it is the
best part of Alaska in which to live. People are very proud of the Valley. It has
been dubbed "Alaska's Playground" for it's beauty and abundant outdoor activites.

It is also the fastest growing area in Alaska. The economy is very good
and the Valley is about the size of West Virginia so there is plenty of room
to "get away from people". Although you'll find the people here very friendly.

Here's a tourist website for the area. http://www.alaskavisit.com

Hope this helps.

Michael Boyter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times
MAINEr, it might be a good place for you, but "good luck" to your husband.

There are tons of man in Alaska and almost no women; he will face tons of competition for your attention. You, on the other hand, get ready to get hit on.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,406,323 times
Well Mainer, one thing for sure if you move to Alaska.
You will be able to "keep" you hard earned money instead of having it stolen by the state government as they do in Maine.

My best friend lives in Maine and complains all the time about how taxing the state is.

Good Luck, I was stationed in Fairbanks in the early 80's and love Alaska. Only problem if I move it will be as a single man since my warm weather wife will divorce me.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:46 PM

276 posts, read 848,992 times
Keep my money, I haven't done that in years. Got paid last Wed and was still short of my mortgage payment, and I don't have a big mortgage. Yeah, Maine will eat you alive, only the rich retirees who come summers only and the people form NY, CT areas can afford to live here. I think we should all be given relocation money and turn the state into a big tourist playground.

I can never get ahead, just when I think I am something increases (never my paycheck though). Everyone has given so many ideas of places to live.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 PM

116 posts, read 622,511 times
Quote:
Pretty soon Im sad to say that people will discover what a gem it really is and start overpopulating Alaska and littering and spreading crime (and all the other troubles that come along with that).
lol, are you kidding? With all due respect, Alaska is half the size of the rest of the US, has a small population, is far away from _everything_ and to most people on the planet its climate is incredibly uninviting. I wouldn't worry about it being overpopulated any time soon, like say 500 years.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 PM

276 posts, read 848,992 times
Looking at the crime statistics on the city-data page, looks like Wasilla has a high crime rate, is it that bad? Bangor, Maine where I grew up is 300 ish. I'd like an area similar in crime #'s but do need places to work.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,322 times
Default On my way to Delta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post
I looked at your web page Rance and the more I see of the area, the more I think i might like it there.
What is the web page? I think I will be going to delta junction for DoD this year. Im at least a little about it. Its by choice, just hope I can afford to live there.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyter8 View Post
MAINEr,

We live in Wasilla Alaska. Wasilla is the commercial hub for the MatSu Borough(county).
We are ten miles from Palmer Alaska. Each location has a population of about 30,000, more or less.

For the smaller place to build your cabin consider small towns just outside
of Wasilla and Palmer. For example, Willow or Sutton. Willow is getting popular and land values
are starting to climb. Now would be a good time to get a piece of property there.

The locals refer to this part of Alaska as the Valley. We believe that it is the
best part of Alaska in which to live. People are very proud of the Valley. It has
been dubbed "Alaska's Playground" for it's beauty and abundant outdoor activites.

It is also the fastest growing area in Alaska. The economy is very good
and the Valley is about the size of West Virginia so there is plenty of room
to "get away from people". Although you'll find the people here very friendly.

Here's a tourist website for the area. Wasilla, Palmer and Talkeetna Alaska: Hotels, Accommodations and Visitor Information

Hope this helps.

Michael Boyter
I'd appreciate a clarification here: Wasilla does not have a population anywhere near 30,000. Last census says about 5.5K. I believe Palmer is even smaller.

If you want to commute to a town 30K or larger, you are going to have to live either outside of Fairbanks or Anchorage, or in Juneau.
The four largest towns in AK: (2005 census estimates)
1.) Anchorage (275,043)
2.) Fairbanks (31,324)
3.) Juneau (30,987)
4.) Sitka (8,986)

Source: List of cities in Alaska by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, I think there are still ample employment opportunities outside of these cities, and I agree that the Kenai peninsula might be a good place to start.
Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,036,558 times
I think Michael Boyter was referring to the population around Palmer and Wasilla. The population inside the city limits of each city is about right on wikipedia, but...If you drew a circle 5 miles outside the city limits of each he would be about right.

The population of the whole borough is about 70,000 and by far the vast majority of them live in the core area around Palmer and Wasilla. But they aren't officially in either city...they aren't in any city.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I think Michael Boyter was referring to the population around Palmer and Wasilla. The population inside the city limits of each city is about right on wikipedia, but...If you drew a circle 5 miles outside the city limits of each he would be about right.

The population of the whole borough is about 70,000 and by far the vast majority of them live in the core area around Palmer and Wasilla. But they aren't officially in either city...they aren't in any city.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I wonder why they don't extend the city limits of these cities to make census data in the future more accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska