Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:21 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
Thank for the links Arcticthaw. I'll be looking over those over for days.

I would love to come look at the land this summer. I do know the lowest point on the property is fifty feet above the edge of the lake (altitude), The highest point is about fifty feet higher then that. The land is somewhat rectangular with the wider end on the low end of the land and the thinner end on top. A small seasonal creek runs from the top of the hill down one side of the land. The creek (which only has water during run off) is not on any of the properties, but divides them with a fifteen foot space on either side unowned by either side. The current owner claims sixty foot plus trees covering the entire property with no wet land.
Sounds nice. Since you are buying all your materials and hauling them in, you don't really care about the spruce to birch ratio or the diameter of the spruce. However, there is still a couple more important considerations.
  • How deep is the permafrost layer?
  • Will the permafrost interfere with your septic system and leech lines?
  • How deep is the ground water table, assuming you want a well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 PM

26 posts, read 114,939 times
On the construction, I started thinking log cabin, But I don't think I could really insulate one the way I'd want. Thus, the reasoning behind a more standard construction. I've helped built a log home in Colorado from cured beetle kill. Really nice place, but the walls are usually cold on the inside.

Those are great questions I've been wondering about as well.

On the issue of water in all respects. I've wondered about wells freezing? Average depth? I've dug large holes in these rocky mountains, But what's it like there? I'm starting to think a pick and shovel is in my future. Which brings up one of my largest issues, How do I get a septic tank out there?

These are all questions that the people living there now could answer.

If anyone reads this that knows a person living at Deadman lake please refer me to a contact method. Or, if they know someone who's delt with this themselves. I would really appreciate the help. Has anyone ever built one of these Earth ship style homes either?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
On the construction, I started thinking log cabin, But I don't think I could really insulate one the way I'd want. Thus, the reasoning behind a more standard construction. I've helped built a log home in Colorado from cured beetle kill. Really nice place, but the walls are usually cold on the inside.

Those are great questions I've been wondering about as well.

On the issue of water in all respects. I've wondered about wells freezing? Average depth? I've dug large holes in these rocky mountains, But what's it like there? I'm starting to think a pick and shovel is in my future. Which brings up one of my largest issues, How do I get a septic tank out there?

These are all questions that the people living there now could answer.

If anyone reads this that knows a person living at Deadman lake please refer me to a contact method. Or, if they know someone who's delt with this themselves. I would really appreciate the help. Has anyone ever built one of these Earth ship style homes either?
If you are unable to find a local contact, you could send Alaska's Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Water an e-mail or give them a call. They can answer many of your questions concerning the water table (like depth of the groundwater and quality) around Deadman Lake, on-site septic systems, and send you information on pertinent regulations.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
Check out this link for a local source of power and water pump needs for off grid.

http://www.absak.com/

Well dept can vary depending on Topography and water table. Normally minimum is 40 to 240'. Deeper in the hills. Your well will most likely be outside the resevour of deadman lake so don't be supprised if you have to go much deeper for water. Most people would cut a hole in the ice and haul water up to the property. If the water quality is good you may be able to draw water from the lake, filter it for bathing and dishes. this works well in the summer.

The lake appears to be about 150' above the river bed. So its kind of hard to guess.

Something to consider is if the ground is in shade and not getting lots of sunlight, you may hit frozen dirt around 3 to 4' down. This will require letting it thaw to dig another foot a day. Time frame would be early to mid June.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:08 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Arctic has nothing else to do this weekend, give him the location and I'm sure he'd be willing to drive down this weekend and take pictures of the place.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:27 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Arctic has nothing else to do this weekend, give him the location and I'm sure he'd be willing to drive down this weekend and take pictures of the place.
Your the one with all the airplane buddies, just hop on over and land on the lake. Besides you take much better photos than I.

Tell you what waprtman, I sent you a secret messege in the T shirt.

So when it arrives in a week or so, carefully lay it flat with the front side up. Then gently fold the lower section up to match the upper section. Like folding the back page of a MAD Magazine.

Then remember your post to me!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Well if one of you is volunteering could you take a letter?... lol Maybe just drop one (tied to a rock) in front of a house on the lake while flying by?...lol

I have considered no well and bottles of water. That doesn't work for toilets though. I even thought of maybe a large tank inside filled with run off, Or snow melted off the roof. I have a lot of info to gather, no doubt.
The land gets very little sun on the ground, The trees are to dence. So, a foot a day unless I can find a better way. I think 240' is way deeper then my shovel can dig. That figures out to about two years at a foot a day(summer only).
Isn't it interesting how even trying to live the "simple" life is so complicated. I am really thankful to all of you for your help. My family thinks I'm nuts, All I talk about is moving to this colder climate. I don't think they understand. Even stranger then that is when I was a child, People always bought me the book: The call of the wild, I had like twelve copies. I didn't read it until I was twenty two. It wasn't what I'd thought it was. I believe looking at it on the shelf and watching Grizzly Adams didn't help much though. I'm sure I'll think of more to ask as well. So, Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Grrrr!!

Well that was a learning experience.

I just spoke to the owner of the land. She had agreed to sell at around $8000 last week financed. Today, she finally e-mailed back with a price of $14,000. Almost double. I could do better on Ebay. She tried to sell it for $3500 cash just over a month ago, and knowone would take it. Go figure. She must have been seduced by the Christmas mall spirit, Now it's all about the anti-collections spirit.

I will not be deterred!! I really like that lake. There are over 165 properties around it. I will own one! AND I won't be ripped off!!

Sorry, that really pissed me off.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Well that was a learning experience.

I just spoke to the owner of the land. She had agreed to sell at around $8000 last week financed. Today, she finally e-mailed back with a price of $14,000. Almost double. I could do better on Ebay. She tried to sell it for $3500 cash just over a month ago, and knowone would take it. Go figure. She must have been seduced by the Christmas mall spirit, Now it's all about the anti-collections spirit.

I will not be deterred!! I really like that lake. There are over 165 properties around it. I will own one! AND I won't be ripped off!!

Sorry, that really pissed me off.
Does the property have any lake-front? If not, that does seem a bit excessive considering there is no road access, electric, or gas. Maybe she is expecting you to make her a counter offer. By the way, the north-side of a lake is the best place to be during the winter.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 PM

No lake front. That was what made it cheap. That and a little distance to the lake edge. I really don't need lakefront. I would like to be on the north side though. I will keep an eye out for other property. I told her I wasn't willing to pay four times the cash price for financing and call it 9.9%. I'll just save money and keep an eye open. The plan stays the same, except with more bumps. She may realize her mistake and try me again as well.
There IS an auction on ebay (lol), actually two. One is lake front for $27,500. The other is in an OK spot(not lake front), may be wet though. On the west side about half way down for $10,500. I don't like either (as much) but just goes to show, They have it on ebay...lol
We'll see where this all goes. I'll try not to be to angry with the lady and maybe she'll come back with a more reasonable price. Maybe she e-mailed me not realizing she'd already given me a lower price quote. Who knows. My e-mail back to her quoted her earlier prices. Maybe it will refresh her memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska