Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 AM

27 posts, read 22,433 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at land in Delta Junction area..
Want to build Cabin by hand.. drill well, wood heat, solar/generator electricity..
Live year round if i choose..

I live in NJ very close to NYC..
I have been to Many arctic locations in winter ie.. Churchill, Manitoba, Yellowknife Northwest Territories..
coldest was -45 with 40 mph sustained on Hudson Bay.. so i know how cold it can be..

Im considering Tok, it was a friendly town and Fast Eddy's was great..
However Delta Junction seems to have the scenery i like ( open woodlands) and more people overall..
A very unique area combining Northern Forests/glaciers with Western Prairie and mountains..

I see land listed as unmaintained road out in Deltana out near Barley Way..Very few people out there on Google Maps..I like that there is no convenants etc..

My concern is I spoke with a realtor and was told that you cannot get out there because the blowing snow drifts are too big?
The area is very open and i assume will have extreme windchill..
If my 4x4 Ram needed to be be towed, could a tow truck reach out there..
among other emergency services..?
Would Verizon cell work out there.. or any cell phone..

Should I consider moving to a closer area towards town, more treed, more peopled, etc....

Any info would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS91FX View Post
A very unique area combining Northern Forests/glaciers with Western Prairie and mountains..
That's why we love it. Just don't tell anyone..

We just moved into a place on Barley Way, so I can probably offer some assistance. The roads in this part of Delta are definitely tricky - the wind drifts are in fact formidable, and different sections of road seem to be plowed every year. I can say that Spruce, Hanson, and Sawmill Creek Roads are plowed consistently by the state, and the section of Barley Way leading from Spruce to the New Hope commune is plowed by those folks. The sections of Barley Way from Hanson to Spruce, and from New Hope to Sawmill are NOT consistently plowed. Agricultural is not either, and gets badly drifted, but more people are moving out there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it plowed in the future.

Cell service is a bit spotty, but works in most of the Deltana area (ATT is better than ACS). Expect reliable towing and emergency services only on roads where you could drive a two wheel drive vehicle. Nearest fire station is on Clearwater Road, but it's volunteer only of course, so expect your place to burn to the ground if it catches fire.

Anyway, if you let me know specifically where the property you're interested in is located, I can probably be of more assistance.

Last edited by heathen; 08-11-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
That's why we love it. Just don't tell anyone..

We just moved into a place on Barley Way, so I can probably offer some assistance. The roads in this part of Delta are definitely tricky - the wind drifts are in fact formidable, and different sections of road seem to be plowed every year. I can say that Spruce, Hanson, and Sawmill Creek Roads are plowed consistently by the state, and the section of Barley Way leading from Spruce to the New Hope commune is plowed by those folks. The sections of Barley Way from Hanson to Spruce, and from New Hope to Sawmill are NOT consistently plowed. Agricultural is not either, and gets badly drifted, but more people are moving out there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it plowed in the future.

Cell service is a bit spotty, but works in most of the Deltana area (ATT is better than ACS). Expect reliable towing and emergency services only on roads where you could drive a two wheel drive vehicle. Nearest fire station is on Clearwater Road, but it's volunteer only of course, so expect your place to burn to the ground if it catches fire.

Anyway, if you let me know specifically where the property you're interested in is located, I can probably be of more assistance.

Hi

The property of interest is in the Forest Park Hills Subdivision and fairly deep in it.. I am told there is one person that lives there year round? Not Sure..
Access to site is on road i dont know name off it has two silos at corner with Hanson rd.. I believe a small "path" leads out onto Chase road, looking at satellite and streetview..
the entire block seems devoid of spruce trees and looks to be young aspen.. Either fire or reclaimed farm land i suppose.. I'm curious as to well depth and permafrost in this area..
The nearest powerline is at least half mile north i think..( Hanson road)

Thank you for info thus far...

Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
Unfortunately, that road with the two silos that runs parallel to Chase is in a bad position for deep drifting. The wind in winter usually comes from the east-southeast, so the big open field on the windward side of the road, and a closed forest stand on the leeward side is a bad combination. Chase and that part of Barley were plowed by locals last winter, but I don't think Hanson was plowed past the Farmers Co op. Unless you have a deal with someone for snow removal, you'll probably want to get a plow kit for your truck. You might be able to keep the drifted road open, but plowing out the trail to Chase Road may be a better option.

It's a good location for a solar / wind system. The region gets a lot of moderate wind in winter, and quite a lot of sun in summer (though this year's been an exception).

You are right about the regenerating aspen, which indicates that the soil is quite dry. There will be no issues with permafrost, ponding, or septic drainage. The wells in the area are pretty reasonable and the water is good (snowmelt from the nearby Alaska Range flowing under glaciofluvial outwash). I have a hard time remembering numbers... 140 feet sticks in my head but don't quote me.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 PM

This is what i was assuming....
Will be looking for different land up there..

Your info has been extremely helpful. Thanks again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska