Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM

339 posts, read 728,776 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house in Fairbanks but will be teaching in the bush for 3 more years. We found some trustworthy friends-of-friends to rent our place to.

We will write a rental agreement and get liability insurance, but is there anything else we need to do legally? How much of the rent we receive will be taken away at tax time? I assume we have to declare it as extra income?

Also, we originally applied for a second home mortgage because we thought we were going to leave it vacant. We are told that changing this to an investment property mortgage will cost us a whole lot more, so is it even worth having them pay us anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
I think it would be prudent to speak to an attorney or tax preparer, rather than asking a random bunch of strangers with questionable stability and sanity on an internet forum.

I will say as a former renter, you'll want to advise your tenants to get their own renter's insurance. Your insurance will NOT cover their items in case of a incident.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Ditto to what AKStafford said. Especially renter insurance part as most people I know don't get renters insurance. Except I don't think there is a question as to our instability and insanity...

It will count as income, but you get to deduct expenses from the income. Property taxes, insurance, and maintenance being some examples of potential applicable deductions. There are probably more out there too. A tax professional can help you determine what qualifies and what doesn't. It *may*, but not always, make sense to form a corporation to handle the tax burden and liability as well. You have s-corps, c-corps, and LLC's to look at.

There is a slight positive - since you will pay income tax on it (Federal) it means your social security benefits go up. Unless your current job maxes you out, meaning you make more than around $114k a year teaching.

There are so many variables, it's tough to guide you based on incomplete information as everyone's situation is different.

Just my .02.

FWIW, I am going through the research now as I contemplate being a landlord too.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
We rented out a home we owned decades ago, so the tax situation may have changed. In essence, the rental was a loss, even though the rent covered the mortgage payment, property taxes and insurance, plus a little more. The reason was because you could depreciate the value of the house each year. In addition, I believe one trip to "inspect" the house was deductible each year. The only drawback is that the cost basis is lowered by depreciation so your gain is bigger upon a sale. I think you can get around paying taxes on the gain if you move back into the house and live there for a certain number of years before selling. As mentioned, consult a tax expert for all the details on how it works.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:41 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
I would urge you to consider a property management company. I had renters in my Eagle River home.... excellent relationship for 2 years. When move out time came he painted with the wrong color requiring professionals to fix it. Did he pay? Nope. Just a word of advice.

Get a tax person. Your rental can be considered a loss and any trips there e.g. repair are a deduction.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 AM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I think it would be prudent to speak to an attorney or tax preparer, rather than asking a random bunch of strangers with questionable stability and sanity on an internet forum...
Are you trying to say "funky monkey 127" would steer me wrong

Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Get an experienced property manager and talk to a cpa.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I would urge you to consider a property management company. I had renters in my Eagle River home.... excellent relationship for 2 years. When move out time came he painted with the wrong color requiring professionals to fix it. Did he pay? Nope. Just a word of advice.

Get a tax person. Your rental can be considered a loss and any trips there e.g. repair are a deduction.
It was the law about ten years ago that if you went out of state you had to have a property manager. I think it's a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska