Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 AM

336 posts, read 578,151 times

Advertisements

Am planning to fly to Anchorage and rent a car and drive to Denali. What would be a good time of year to do that? Would mid-May be too early? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM

863 posts, read 2,085,600 times
Denali will be far from its best in mid May. Things are barely starting to grow even in Anchorage and Fairbanks at that time, and the mountainous areas will still be brown and soggy, with quite a bit of snow. I don't think the park gets the road plowed, and starts running buses until Memorial Day Weekend. Mid June through early September is prime time to visit Denali.

Whatever you do, DON'T just drive to the park entrance (we call it Glitter Gulch). You've got to get on the park service buses and go all the way out on that bumpy road to Wonder Lake, or at least as far as Eielson Visitor Center, if you're going to the trouble of coming at all. Also, if you can spare the $250, a flightseeing trip around Denali from the town of Talkeetna will likely be the highlight of your trip.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,774,582 times
Shuttle bus services start in Denali on May 20th. Then shuttle buses only go to Tolkat river. It seems it's around June 1 then the shuttles go to Eielson visitor center & then June 8 the shuttles go Wonder Lake. Shuttle service ends around Sept. 12 depending on the year.

Check here for the exact dates:
Denali National Park & Preserve - Denali National Park & Preserve

Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
I'd suggest some research at the Trip Advisor forums for Alaska. You'll find a ton of information there: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html
The dates bongo gave you above are the biggest thing about traveling to Denali before June. Some people prefer to do Denali in late August/early September for the fall colors.
If you are renting a car (a good move) then you have the flexibility to stay in Healy, ten miles to the north of the park entrance.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 AM

66 posts, read 82,714 times
Why not drive to the park entrance? Is there plenty of places to park your car there to get on a shuttle? Ill probably be going there mid June

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
Why not drive to the park entrance? Is there plenty of places to park your car there to get on a shuttle? Ill probably be going there mid June
I think what he was saying was to not JUST drive to the park entrance, but be sure and do the shuttle bus into the park.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
Yeah sorry, should have been more clear. Posting before coffee... Yes, the park entrance area is where you park and get on the shuttle buses. I was referring to the travelers who don't do their research, and don't realize the time commitment to see the park properly (AT LEAST a very long day on the bus). A few people just go to the park entrance, walk some nature trails, maybe go on a short bus ride to Toklat, and leave disappointed.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM

588 posts, read 798,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
Am planning to fly to Anchorage and rent a car and drive to Denali. What would be a good time of year to do that? Would mid-May be too early? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
In summer 2011, I had a fantastic trip to various places around Anchorage and Seward. However, Denali was the only place that I was not impressed with. I took the long afternoon-evening shuttle that takes us to a vantage point to see Mt. McKinley (which was still quite far away and most cloud covered). We did see a grizzly bear at a distance, but the scenery is very dry during mid summer. My parents, brother-in-law, and another couple I know have all told me that they also would probably skip Denali after visiting.

It's not a bad place, but with so many wonderful options in Alaska, I'd ask other travelers their opinions before deciding on Denali.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Denali was the only place that I was not impressed with. I took the long afternoon-evening shuttle that takes us to a vantage point to see Mt. McKinley (which was still quite far away and most cloud covered). and another couple I know have all told me that they also would probably skip Denali after visiting.

It's not a bad place, but with so many wonderful options in Alaska, I'd ask other travelers their opinions before deciding on Denali.
This is a common sentiment from people who have visited and from locals as well (myself included). The one thing the park road offers that is exceptional is the wildlife viewing. Seeing nothing more than a grizzly in the distance is somewhat rare, though these things can never be guaranteed of course.

Personally, I'd rather hang out in Talkeetna for a day or three to hopefully see the mountain, go on a flightseeing trip, and enjoy a fun, backwoods town. To experience the Alaska Range tundra wilderness without the crowds in the national park, one can drive the easternmost section of the Denali Highway to Tangle Lakes. This section is paved, and 20 miles off the Richardson Highway at Paxson. No views of Denali itself, but the big white peaks of the Eastern Alaska Range make pretty good stand ins.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,553,169 times
I guess I saw Denali on a good day. It was clear - very clear out. We drove as far as we could to the Ranger station where the road becomes buses only. Had a great lunch, saw a heard of Caribou. We walked a bunch of trails up to that point and around the park visitor center. We didn't have enough time to do a long bus ride and none of us were really into sitting in a bus for along time.

What I did find interesting, is that the State Park had better views of Denali, than the National Park did. We found the scenery unbelievably beautiful. I don't know how you could go almost anywhere in Alaska and not be in awe. So maybe we just don't know what we missed.

FWIW, we were there in July.

Since, it was mentioned, we drove down from Chicken. I found that a neat drive as well. Chicken was unique as well. (and in a good way).

BTW - We choose to see as much as we could in the limited amount of time we had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska