Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Made with what?
Six 12 gauge slugs fired as quickly as I could pump and pull the trigger at less than 12 feet. Although it felt like it was all slow motion, it was less than a few seconds. He would have died from the first round in a few minutes, but the last one killed him where he quit getting up. After it was over, I started shaking so badly it took about half an hour to reload the shotgun with one shell. Smoked at the time and broke all my cigarettes trying to light just one, and even then the one I did get lit, was a broken one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,001 times
Nice job but that's not something I'd want to make a habit out of.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Bear Psychology and Body Language. For those that object to carrying firearms or pepper spray.....

Where the Bear Walks: Bear Psychology and Body Language

Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Whether or not there is a gun or bear spray involved most of the time when a bear attacks the outcome is determined by what the bear damn well wants to do.
There have been a great number of bear charges, even surprise charges where the person had not idea there was a bear nearby, where the person managed to take a shot or two and kill the bear. There have been cases where the bear was so close that there was not time to aim properly, and still the person (s) managed to kill the bear. If you read the book, "Some Bears Kill," you will see some of these cases, but at lot of others have been published on the AK's papers.

For example, there was a guy at the Copper Valley who was been chewed by a large grizzly bear, but somehow he managed to draw a .44 Magnum revolver and to shoot the bear one time on the neck while the bear was on top of him. The bullet blew a hole through one of the arteries on the neck, and the bear died on top of the guy. He survived, but was badly mauled.

About four years ago a moose hunter with a .338 Magnum rifle decided to look for moose, but on a windy day. The passed some rocks on a trail, and a grizzly charged. He saw the bear just about the time it was almost on top of him, but somehow he pulled his rifle's trigger without having time to aim. The noise from the shot scared the bear enough, but as it ran past the guy, it knocked him down on the ground and took a swipe at him (f I well remember the bear injured him on the first charge). The bear ran a few feet from him, and turned for a second charge, and the guy who was still on the ground pointed his rifle toward the bear and fired another shot. It was a lucky shot, but it killed the bear instantly. Maybe it broke the bear's neck or something (don't remember).

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-17-2012 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,619 times
This should do the trick.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
44mag vs Bear [it works] - The Firing Line Forums

Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
This should do the trick.
AWESOME! - Here Yogi Yogi, here Yogi.......

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
Wow, I'm looking up some of the guns you folks have mentioned...some of them sure cost a lot. I don't need to do this on the cheap, but I do have to watch it a bit.

Well the old saying you get what you paid for applies! What is your life worth to you, if not much then carry a stick, if you want to be around for awhile, get something that will help you with your goal, not something that "might"!

Get a good weapon for what you want to do with it, home defense then a 9mm would be fine, but in the wild, you want something a bit bigger to stop bigger things!

Yeah you can kill a bear with a .22, but the issue is "now or in two days"! Defense is usually "Now"!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
After it was over, I started shaking so badly it took about half an hour to reload the shotgun with one shell.
I can well imagine. Thank God you stopped him.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
If you hit any big bear with 36 rounds of .45, it would cut him in half, no one slug may have killed the bear quickly, but a burst of ten would pretty much roll him over and 36 would really mess up his day!
Do you think a 9mm will stop a bear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska