Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raemarti View Post
Thanks Everyone for responding,

Reading(CANADA) on the current(2/2012) Canadian Border Security Agency site (CBSA), it indicates that 'If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada'. But that you must carry proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate. It shows this verbatim under 'Non-Canadians' on the website. Even though, I will take my passport with me.
While this is true, the reason you need a passport is to get back into the U.S. It's a U.S. Customs requirement, not a Canadian. There's a chance that CBSA won't let you in because they know this and don't want you to be stuck in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
With the number of years that have passed, it's very likely the DWI won't appear on your record. I've seen in other threads where someone stated that after several years have passed, something like 10 years, you don't have to be deemed rehabilitated. However, what it really comes down to is the border agent who examines you and your vehicle. They can interpret their rules how they want to and can refuse entry just because they don't like the way you look. I'd contact Canadian Immigration to see what they might require you to do.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Avoid the hassle. Take the ship. Take all your gear to Bellingham.

And for you peeps from a trauma nurse...please don't drink and drive....ever.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM

305 posts, read 683,275 times
Yep, what AADAD said. The drive is long, arduous, uninspiring (to me, at least - except for YT), and expensive. At the price of fuel these days, ferry and barge is a definite economical consideration.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

44 posts, read 157,910 times
Thanks everyone! A boat ride would be more relaxing and way less miles on my vehicles. A friend of mine who 'still has his school lunch money' (ultra cheap guy) goes out every year, says he is taking the ferry out this year instead of driving.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM

It's an interesting trip anytime of year. Food is plentiful and tasty, coffee from 0530 and plenty of people to play a game of cards with. Cell service is very spotty. Rent a sat phone if you need to
be in touch with people ~~around $100.00 for a week.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
While this is true, the reason you need a passport is to get back into the U.S. It's a U.S. Customs requirement, not a Canadian. There's a chance that CBSA won't let you in because they know this and don't want you to be stuck in Canada.
thanks! I was coming to post the same thing.
It's not the Canadians we need to worry about. It's getting Back into the USA that you need a passport.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM

The border crossings now are high tech. they take a pic of your license plate run your data (thoroughly) and then come to the window ask questions about guns and alcohol. if you smile
have a passport.......you are good to go. I have not met a rude Canadien or American officer but
I am sure that they exist or can have a bad day. It's simply not worth it esp from the East side of Tok having to turn around in Winter.......it can happen to anyone IMO. Take the Ferry with deference to the beauty of the drive if you have any doubt float.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
AADAD - I agree with that statement...

Unless you got the record expunged, I wouldn't COUNT on it not being on your record. Even then, sometimes it still shows up. This isn't one of the times where it si better to do it and beg for forgiveness, than to ask permission. It is better to ask permission...

Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Americans with DUIs (yes even a single DUI) aren't easily allowed in Canada. It doesn't matter if you are the driver or not. In their country it's a felony and they don't allow felons into their country without the proper paperwork.

Getting right with Canada
There are three ways to get admitted into Canada once you've been convicted of a DUI. But you have to be prepared for lots of hassles, paperwork, fees and months of waiting for the Canadian bureaucracy to process your application.

1. If the completion of your DUI sentence is less than 5 years old, the only way to get into Canada is with a temporary resident permit, which costs $200 Canadian. (Having had your DUI knocked down from a gross misdemeanor to negligent or reckless driving can still prevent you from going to Canada.)
You'll need to show the reason for your visit is "urgent," said Peter Lilius, immigration program manager for the Canadian Consulate in Seattle.

A ski trip to Whistler is not deemed urgent. Think more along the lines of having an ill relative in Canada or an important business meeting you need to attend.

Even then, being admitted is not guaranteed.

The officers at the port of entry, said Lilius, "have the discretion."
Before driving to the border, you can click on the Seattle Canadian Consulate Web site at www.canadainternational.gc.ca/seattle.
You can download an application for a temporary visit and either mail it in or bring it in person.
"Processing times may be lengthy," says the consulate.
The Web site also contains frequently asked questions about visiting that country.

2. If you completed your DUI sentence more than five years ago, you can apply for Approval of Rehabilitation. The nonrefundable fee is either $200 or $1,000 (Canadian), depending on the seriousness of your crime.

The Canadians want proof "that you have a stable lifestyle and that it is unlikely that you will be involved in any further criminal activity."

It involves considerable paperwork. You will need to provide your FBI file. You will need to provide a "police certificate" of criminal history, if any, from every state in which you lived more than six months since age 18. You will need to explain each offense. You will have to provide dates and all your home addresses and places of employment since age 18.

Processing time can take a year or more.

But, if you're approved, then you'll no longer have problems at the border because of your past.

3. If you have had only one DUI, and sentencing was completed more than 10 years ago, you can drive to the border with basically the paperwork for the Approval of Rehabilitation.

A border officer can approve you on the spot, at no charge, and that past DUI will no longer be a problem when crossing the border.

Again, it's at the officer's discretion.

There also are law firms that specialize in helping you through the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska