Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times

Advertisements

This is some photos and commentary a friend posted earlier on another forum, thought some might be interested. He lives in Nome where they got a direct hit of the worst storm in "Forty years", which appeared to be a fizzle from all the hype the press was pushing, which is what Sity said earlier on another post.

Some tin roofs got blown off and windows were hit with flying debree, but all in all, everyone was pretty much OK.

Anyone got more photos to add about the storm, that would be great!

Quote:
there was a lot of hype never lost power to my home or irlp node never lost cable or internet also the wife about went stir crazy with the kids cooped up that long other wise all is good our sea wall did its job well the last one in '75 flooded down town just flooding in areas around the boat harbor this time we had about 2 days to prepare i had my gen set all ready to go and didn't even need it this time
Quote:
as promised here are some photos around town of the storm here in Nome
Quote:
what you have to remember is norton sound is shallow water max depth about 150 feet so when you hear reports of 60 foot waves you are talking white capps not swells
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Glad everyone was over-prepared for an event that didn't live up to its forecast. Better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

What is that pipe in the background? It looks bigger than the building in the foreground, but it could be the angle the photo was taken.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Wow... so glad it didn't live up to the hype.. would have been extremely damaging with all the ice with the water surge.. thank you for sharing Star..

Old 11-12-2011, 12:04 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
which appeared to be a fizzle from all the hype the press was pushing, which is what Sity said earlier on another post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Glad everyone was over-prepared for an event that didn't live up to its forecast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Wow... so glad it didn't live up to the hype..
Yep, not to take away anything from what happened, but I get 70 mph+ winds up at my house twice a month during the winter. Never seen any news crews up here or front page hand-wringing by the national media about that!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Whoa! That ocean looks mean.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:06 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yep, not to take away anything from what happened, but I get 70 mph+ winds up at my house twice a month during the winter. Never seen any news crews up here or front page hand-wringing by the national media about that!
Yeah, we got gusts up to 80 last week and it barely got a mention in the local paper!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:15 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Yeah, we got gusts up to 80 last week and it barely got a mention in the local paper!
I was living in the trailer park near the man camp by the airport in Valdez in 93. We had winds one weekend that were above 100 mph.

Of all the many different places we have lived at in this state. My sons all say Valdez was their favorite.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:30 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I was living in the trailer park near the man camp by the airport in Valdez in 93. We had winds one weekend that were above 100 mph.
I believe it. Just a couple nights ago it was barely breezy in town, but blowing like heck across the glacier bridge, with nearly zero visibility.

Quote:
Of all the many different places we have lived at in this state. My sons all say Valdez was their favorite.
If you can deal with the weather, it's a lovely place!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post

They have/had a city ordnance there in Valdez where all the trailers had to have straps over then and anchored into the ground so they wouldn't blow over.

Lived in Valdez 3 1/2 years and loved it! Learned to fly there as well and thought crappy weather was a normal part of flying! But when the weather was nice, it was outstanding

Old 11-12-2011, 03:33 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Yup; I remember the anchors on all the trailers; That wind can become very vicious at times but you never hear one mention of it in the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska