Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 PM

468 posts, read 804,020 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions for a fun Christmas break, please. We have decided that we will not be heading all the way back to MN. One of the teachers is staying here over break, so she has offered to stay at our apartment and take care of the dogs. That opens up a lot of possibilities and I am very grateful to her!

We love Homer, but Freezengirl says that not much is open. Of course, we aren't too picky, since we aren't used to having a lot of choices right now. An absolute must is a good restaurant and a beer! It has been awhile! We are planning a couple of days in Anchorage for some big box shopping, but really don't want to be there for two weeks. We will be flying into Fairbanks to pick up the car (Suburban and winterized), so anywhere on the road system will work for us.

We keep joking about how we will be getting the sun for Christmas! It might only be for 4 hours, but that is 4 more than we will have here by that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,878,358 times
Homer is a lot of fun in the winter too, just different then the summer. There usually is a lot of activities planned for locals since summer is usually to busy. All of the shops/restraunts on the spit shutdown with I believe the exception of Lands End.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,907,732 times
If you rent a car, these are cheap, cheaper in Homer, we stayed there, full kitchen pretty much, TV, bath, beds for kids, and close to town ....DANDY CABIN WEBSITE

Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,810,364 times
By all means.. after shopping take a drive north of Palmer and visit Majestic Valley That scenery will knock you over ! Head on up the road a piece to Eureka, and a small restrauant is just up ahead before the ride back. Ya just gotta have a camera and visit that spot!!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 PM

173 posts, read 382,004 times
here's my 2 cents....get out and enjoy some real sunshine if u have the chance over Christmas. It might help you through the tough months of Jan-March. I'd get to a beach somewhere.....

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,875 times
Do you ski? Maybe a few days at Alaska Vacations, Restaurants & Accommodation | Alyeska Resort might be nice.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Homer is a lot of fun in the winter too, just different then the summer. There usually is a lot of activities planned for locals since summer is usually to busy. All of the shops/restraunts on the spit shutdown with I believe the exception of Lands End.
We are still itching to come back. I would love to see Homer when it is for the residents and not the tourists. Perhaps if we do come, we can poke around at some properties. Plus, if you are in town, I would love to meet you too!!! I am pretty sure that we want to base ourselves out of Homer, sooner rather than later. That means we need to get our house on the market as soon as we get to MN for the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
If you rent a car, these are cheap, cheaper in Homer, we stayed there, full kitchen pretty much, TV, bath, beds for kids, and close to town ....DANDY CABIN WEBSITE
Those are great prices! Thanks! I am going to show that to my husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
By all means.. after shopping take a drive north of Palmer and visit Majestic Valley That scenery will knock you over ! Head on up the road a piece to Eureka, and a small restrauant is just up ahead before the ride back. Ya just gotta have a camera and visit that spot!!
I think we drove that way this summer. I can't wait to see it in the winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
here's my 2 cents....get out and enjoy some real sunshine if u have the chance over Christmas. It might help you through the tough months of Jan-March. I'd get to a beach somewhere.....
If we could do the airfare to Florida and the hotel, I would be in Ft. Myers in a heartbeat. My parents winter down there. It is expensive enough just to get the whole crew to Fairbanks. Getting all 5 of us to Florida just isn't in the cards this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Do you ski? Maybe a few days at Alaska Vacations, Restaurants & Accommodation | Alyeska Resort might be nice.
I haven't skied in years, but I have lost 25 lbs and counting, plus working out. I might be able to manage it without severely injuring myself now! I checked their site and they do have adaptive skiing. My oldest loves being taken down on the bi-ski. We have a friend that is a ski instructor in Telluride. We were there for the last day of the season a couple of years ago. She hooked the kids up with a day of skiing, including the adaptive program. It only cost us $20(plus tip, of course)! Since then, the girls really have the skiing bug. This is another great idea!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,863,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
If we could do the airfare to Florida and the hotel, I would be in Ft. Myers in a heartbeat. My parents winter down there. It is expensive enough just to get the whole crew to Fairbanks. Getting all 5 of us to Florida just isn't in the cards this year.
I can only imagine. Especially from Atqasuk. I was researching flights to Barrow (from FBX), which is supposed to be a hub village, as far as I know, and I couldn't find anything under $1000 round trip around late December/early January. That's a lot of money! And for some reason, the flight had to connect in Prudhoe Bay. You would think enough people fly to Barrow to have a non-stop flight. They do one to Bethel, after all.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I can only imagine. Especially from Atqasuk. I was researching flights to Barrow (from FBX), which is supposed to be a hub village, as far as I know, and I couldn't find anything under $1000 round trip around late December/early January. That's a lot of money! And for some reason, the flight had to connect in Prudhoe Bay. You would think enough people fly to Barrow to have a non-stop flight. They do one to Bethel, after all.
I just checked Alaska Airlines, since I really need to get moving on reservations. The flights I found were under $600 per person, round trip. We are looking at flying out on 12/19 and back on 12/30. There are direct flights, but they are mostly in the evening. If you want to fly to Barrow in the morning, you do stop in Prudhoe Bay. It isn't too bad...you just sit there and wait to get going again. That is the flight I took to get up here.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,057,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
since I really need to get moving on reservations.
Yes, you really do. Flights in and out of ANC around x-mas book up real fast with all the Alaskans travelling to visit relatives for the Holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska