Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,807 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im visiting Alaska in November and again in the spring, probably around may. My reasoning is becasue I am considering calling Alaska my home one day. I want to get a feel for both seasons as I am from Fairmont West Virginia. I dont know much about Alaska, although I do as much research in my spare time as possible but experience is the best opinion. My boyfriend would be able to transfer his job with the oil industry. Shop location is in anchorage, but from what I read, its just like any other big city We are not city people nor do we want to live in a big city and commuting wouldnt be a problem. Ive looked at Wasilla, Plamer, Kenai, & Willow areas. Do these areas have land for sale? Are the crime rates higher in certain locations? Which would be a better town to raise kids? Any suggestions on other towns that are small towns? I'd love any input!! Like I said I dont know anyone in Alaska Im just looking for some information I have so many questions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle89 View Post
Hi, Im visiting Alaska in November and again in the spring, probably around may. My reasoning is becasue I am considering calling Alaska my home one day. I want to get a feel for both seasons as I am from Fairmont West Virginia. I dont know much about Alaska, although I do as much research in my spare time as possible but experience is the best opinion. My boyfriend would be able to transfer his job with the oil industry. Shop location is in anchorage, but from what I read, its just like any other big city We are not city people nor do we want to live in a big city and commuting wouldnt be a problem. Ive looked at Wasilla, Plamer, Kenai, & Willow areas. Do these areas have land for sale? Are the crime rates higher in certain locations? Which would be a better town to raise kids? Any suggestions on other towns that are small towns? I'd love any input!! Like I said I dont know anyone in Alaska Im just looking for some information I have so many questions!!
If you're going to be commuting on a daily basis, I wouldn't go any farther than Wasilla/Palmer, though even that's not a commute I'd do on a daily basis. Some people are okay with it but to me home/family time is more important than spending two hours a day driving. You might consider Eagle River...close enough to Anchorage for work but not in the city and it's a good community.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,880,674 times
Met is so right... I'm not in Alaska yet but have been researching now almost 12 months. My visit to Alaska was in early spring and keep in mind... GAS PRICES... keep the commute reasonable because the gas cost will add to the already high price of living.... Food prices will be much higher too the more remote you are. I'm not a "brand name" buyer so the foods that I eat weren't too bad and while there ate a lot of moose, salmon and fresh crab... ahhh... fresh crab... mouth watering just thinking about it... a studio apartment can run $800 to $900 in Anchorage and buying a home... you must have at least 20% down with excellant credit.... Another good reason I'm working like crazy to give my home a facelift before I sell and move... I am hoping to get top dollar in this crazy market and have not only my 20% but a nice cushion for living expenses "just in case"

I've learned a lot from a lot of friendly, funny and helpful people here.. do your budget up with your debt and tack on at least 30% more... happy hunting

Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 AM

34 posts, read 48,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle89 View Post
Ive looked at Wasilla, Plamer, Kenai, & Willow areas. Do these areas have land for sale? Are the crime rates higher in certain locations? Which would be a better town to raise kids? Any suggestions on other towns that are small towns? I'd love any input!! Like I said I dont know anyone in Alaska Im just looking for some information I have so many questions!!
Seems to me, from looking at ads for rental property on craigslist, that Anchorage and surrounding areas are really expensive for rent. Hubby and I are looking at the Kenai Peninsula because the prices are lower. But, if you have to go where the work is, then you have to do that.
Keep in mind gas prices in Alaska are always higher than down in the lower 48. Always. Food will be more expensive, and you have to drive farther for everything (generally). And depending on how you heat your home the winter fuel bill can be pretty daunting. If you can, get a place with a wood-burning stove---it could save you a LOT on fuel oil/electricity.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM

863 posts, read 2,080,042 times
Some oil industry jobs have weird schedules (often 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off). This can be a strain on family, but certainly opens up options for where to live. Otherwise, if a daily commute is required, then yeah, Eagle River, Birchwood, Chugiak, are all pretty un-city-like. Even south Anchorage feels much more suburban than urban. Commuting to Palmer/Wasilla is indeed common, but I'll agree that it doesn't sound like much fun.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,256 times
It's good that you are visiting before making such a big move.
If the job is in Anchorage, you'll want to consider Eagle River, Chugiak, Peter's Creek, Palmer or Wasilla if you don't want to live in Anchorage.
The cost of living is higher here. But there's 700,000 of us that do it, so it's not impossible.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM

were going to be doing alot of saving and planning, the trip being our first step to see if its what we think it is. Also were going to be selling our home in WV before we move, but we are looking to buy in AK. This is going to be a long process granted we like what we see. We are use to the 2 weeks on 2 weeks off schedule right now since hes been in the Oil industry for a long time, weve gone weeks w/o seeing each other and are aware that the schedules vary everywhere he goes. He also gets a work truck and they pay for the gas to and from the work sites. So that makes the commute so much easier for him. Its a profession only a good loyal woman could understand. We also dont have kids yet. Thats another reason for this moving move we are considering. We are looking for somewhere respectful to raise kids. I understand you have rift raft everywhere but lately I am experiencing a little too much of these hoodlums. I really dont want to raise kids around the type of people Ive grown up around. But anyways, anchorage is where the main shop is there are a few other shops but I cant remember where they were. One was in the very tip top of alaska. So I am going to look into Eagle River Birch wood and Chugiak since I havent done much research on them. Do you guys have any input on what we should visit/experience while we are up there to get a good idea on ALaskan life? Ive already contacted a real estate agent just to get an idea on house hunting and prices and things of that nature and we plan on going to kenai for the christmas comes to kenai celebration(it seemed cute and something Id enjoy not so much him), and a few sight seeing adventures (since this is sort of our vacation as well) We are staying in palmer and will be driving around alot so im looking to find some place/events to get a good feel for the people in AK, you guys are great and thanks so much for the information!!

Last edited by riffle89; 09-22-2011 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,880,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyCongress View Post
Most Europe People Like me have excellant credit. Do you recommend utilizing checking account writing checks for purchases in America? Anchorage early before Winter in RV being planned.
If you use a debit card and your bank is aware of your plan to use it in Alaska, use your debit card. Checks aren't use much here in the lower 48. Alot of places don't take them anymore. Best to ask someone who has lived in Alaska for a while on the check acceptance...

Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 PM

863 posts, read 2,080,042 times
Palmer's a really good place to base out of when visiting, civilized with all necessary supplies, but usually pretty quiet and semi-rural. I like the place so much that I'm moving back down that way, uh, tomorrow... haha.. Good, casual food can be had in Palmer at the Noisy Goose / Colony Kitchen (no I don't know why it has two names), on the Glenn Highway, just out of town towards Anchorage. For a purely scenic drive close to town, be sure to head up to Hatcher Pass. Turn west onto Palmer-Fish Hook Road, just north of town off the Glenn, and follow the signs.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 PM

Hey thanks, we really do need some ideas on restraunts! We are staying in some cottages in palmer. Figured itd make it a little more realistic!! Hatcher pass huh? Ill have to take a look into it! I need as much advice as possible! Youre moving back to palmer from where if you dont mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska