Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Yeah, that's a good one. I also love Dwight Yoakam's faster version of John Prine's Paradise: Dwight Yoakam Paradise Reprise - YouTube
Hey, that was awesome! I've never heard that before. And I know this is sacrilege, but that's one of the very very few John Prine songs that I like. I never liked John Prine because his music is just so sad and depressing a lot of the time. And music that's sad and depressing tends to make me feel sad and depressed, so I don't tend to listen to it. But he has some gems, and that's definitely one of em. Great version.

Hey Arctic, that parka looks nice, and I am serious about it, so maybe I'll think about getting one. They say the sizing is tough for fat guys like me, but I dunno, I've worn stuff where people said that and been fine, so I'll see about it. Of course, I'll obviously have to have some layers under it, so I'll need to take that into account. Couple questionsx: does he check the lines on foot or on snowmachines? I'm interested either way, just curious (because I friggin LOVE riding snowmachines). And what about footwear? I have an excellent pair of Lowa boots that are Gore-Tex, but they aren't made to be warm, so I'm wondering if I'm going to need some heavy duty boots if I'm going to be out checking traplines in the interior.

And yeah, I really want to feel the "North Slope blow" firsthand. Too bad I can't do that this time around, but when I make it up there to live, I'm sure my travels will take me to the Arctic from time to time. Seems like pretty much everyone on here has been up there for one reason or another at some point or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
(because I friggin LOVE riding snowmachines).
If folks in Alaska insist on calling a snowmobile a snowmachine, then they ought to start calling an automobile an automachine.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM

I've decided I prefer the term snowmachine. Problem is, if I say around pretty much anybody, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

A lot of people seem to think it's that thing that sucks the snow up and shoots it out the side, ya know, one of them things?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM

455 posts, read 743,957 times
Quote:
Couple questionsx: does he check the lines on foot or on snowmachines? I'm interested either way, just curious (because I friggin LOVE riding snowmachines). And what about footwear? I have an excellent pair of Lowa boots that are Gore-Tex,
We use machines to get us distance and hoof it in for access, so both. If there's enough room in your boots for some thick wool or smart wool then you might be OK, possibly a little cold. We generally wear bunny boots but my favorite are Baffin polars (don't buy those for your trip though, they are expensive and would be worthless in NC). You can get a good pair of bunny boots for around $40.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I'm sure my travels will take me to the Arctic from time to time. Seems like pretty much everyone on here has been up there for one reason or another at some point or another.
That's an interesting question. I venture to guess that 80% of Alaskans have never been to the Arctic, but I could be way off. Would make an interesting poll. Hmm...

Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
I've been to Kotz in the 90's for "snowmobile" racing three times.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
The Kobuk River is a very beautiful place to see in person. I'd love to see it in the summer. Noorvik, Kiana, and Selawik.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
You don't need to go to the arctic to experience the incredible winds.

Delta Junction / Ft Greely area / pump station 10 will do just fine.

The point I am trying to make is once you get used to that wind (all the time) I sure miss it big time when it is not present.

As far as snowmaching goes.. the most incredible experience I ever had was riding around the village of Point Hope during a white out on top of 30 foot snow drifts. It felt just like.. .. the sensation of flying.

Now as far as boots.. Nothing can surpass Bunny Boots for comfort & warmth.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
We use machines to get us distance and hoof it in for access, so both. If there's enough room in your boots for some thick wool or smart wool then you might be OK, possibly a little cold. We generally wear bunny boots but my favorite are Baffin polars (don't buy those for your trip though, they are expensive and would be worthless in NC). You can get a good pair of bunny boots for around $40.
That cheap, huh? I always thought they were expensive, but I guess their clunky nature is part of the reason they're so cheap. And maybe there's a surplus, I don't know. I'll probably pick up a pair. I've checked out the full line of Baffin boots, and they are sweet, but you're right, totally pointless to have down here. Kinda like a Canada Goose Expedition parka: I dream of owning one, but not until I get to Alaska. And really, I feel like that parka might be too warm for southcentral Alaska, based on the reviews and the pictures. That parka is a work of art. Even comes with a real coyote ruff.

Man, I've gotta make this happen. Just got to. An offer to go out on a trapline is literally a dream come true. Reading the Heimo book really gives you an appreciation and respect for the harshness of the conditions out there, but I can't think of anything more real-deal-Alaskan than going out and checking traplines. For this cheechako, it may be the closest I ever get to having a cabin on the upper Coleen River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
The Kobuk River is a very beautiful place to see in person. I'd love to see it in the summer. Noorvik, Kiana, and Selawik.
Interesting that you mention the Kobuk River. I was just reading a section of Coming Into The Country by John McPhee (great book about Alaska written during the Pipeline construction days), and the whole section was entitled "The Encircled River". The "encircled" river he was talking about was the Salmon River, which is encircled by the Kobuk and the Noatak (most of you probably know all this, so feel free to tell me I'm being boring). In that section of the book, he truly makes me want to go float the Salmon River in a single Klepper and see it for myself. Kiana is the village that they used as their "home base" for the research trip on the Salmon, so they floated down the Salmon and out onto the Kobuk. His description of the area is so vivid you can see it. Especially when they stop along the way to hike in the high tundra in the Brooks Range. I'd love to see anywhere in the Brooks Range, myself.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
For this cheechako, it may be the closest I ever get to having a cabin on the upper Coleen River.
Well I can't promise any Heimo Korth moments but it'll be fun for sure

FYI, although it's frequently found in the books you've read, the term "cheechako" hasn't been used widely since the days of Gov. Hammond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska