Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 PM

42 posts, read 108,109 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Alex, aged 16. After my 18th birthday, I want to do a lengthy cross-country road trip up to Valdez, AK with a friend of mine and then spend the winter. I've been planning this trip for about a year now and am just about finished. Although I've looked online about expenses, rentals, and what all will need to be considered during my trip, I want to hear personally the opinions and advice of other people, primarily people who live in Alaska and people who live, or have lived in Valdez.
I would appreciate any info and advice; Alex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,296,548 times
Sounds like fun! What made you choose Valdez?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Sounds like fun! What made you choose Valdez?
I was first attracted to Valdez because of how much snow it got, but once I started researching, Valdez suddenly came into view as the perfect little mountain town you only find on post cards. I love Valdez.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM

Well, the surrounding landscape is certainly postcard-worthy, but the town itself had the misfortune of being destroyed, moved, and quickly rebuilt in the sixties, and then built up again very quickly during the building of the oil pipeline (and to some extent during the spill). That and the need for lots of snow storage add up to a town that's more utilitarian than picturesque. It is a nice town though. Small, primarily blue-collar, with friendly, laid-back people. It's a place where, almost literally, everyone knows everyone (for better or worse!). The things that challenge people the most here are the weather (very often overcast, foggy, and drizzly in summer in addition to the snow in winter) and the remoteness. It's a long drive to the next town, and there's not much there, either. But the scenery will just knock you out.

There have been a couple other people planning on moving here recently, so go search for past threads. I'm new here myself but most of the people I know here aren't, so I try to pass on as much information as has been given to me.

What are you planning on going to school for, btw? It is a small town, with no other towns within commuting distance, so job opportunities can be somewhat limited.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM

I already know about Valdez' history with the earthquake and the controversy with the pipeline - that's old news to me and that's fine; more history to the town. I know about the snow storage problems as well but, oh well.

After I do my trip and come back to Rocky Mount, I wanna go out and get into Fine Art academies and Classical Ateliers so I can improve more in my art and get into sculpture.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloft94 View Post
I already know about Valdez' history with the earthquake and the controversy with the pipeline - that's old news to me and that's fine; more history to the town. I know about the snow storage problems as well but, oh well.
My point was more directed to your "postcard" comment. It's just not really a cute town, at least not up close.

Quote:
After I do my trip and come back to Rocky Mount, I wanna go out and get into Fine Art academies and Classical Ateliers so I can improve more in my art and get into sculpture.
Just so you know, Valdez doesn't have an art scene to speak of. There is a theatre conference in the summer, but that's about as artsy as it gets around here. You'd be going to Anchorage for supplies, showings, etc (that's a 5+ hour drive each way or a ~$300 plane ticket). Just something to be aware of.

I do like this town myself for the most part, but if you want a picturesque, snowy, art-oriented town, there are probably better matches out there. In your plans to come up after high school, think about visiting other areas as well. Girdwood and Talkeetna both come to mind as towns to consider.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 AM

I know that Valdez is not an artsy town; its primarily fishing and tourism. I know that I'd have to go to Anchorage for supplies and maybe down to the lower 48 for showings in the big cities and that's fine; I don't mind the travel.

I have looked into other options closer to Anchorage such as the ones you mentioned, but for some reason I keep getting drawn back to Valdez. It's complicated but for some reason, I feel as though there's something there. Its strange, but I know that Valdez is where I want to be.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,137,018 times
the wonder of it is that we follow our hearts we are almost always on time. best of luck to you.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I know that Valdez is not an artsy town; its primarily fishing and tourism.
Those are a big deal in the summer, but that's only a few months up here. Valdez is a lot different from what the tourists see. It's a very good idea for you to come up for the winter, rather than the summer. Rentals tend to be cheaper then, too (though they're still going to be a lot more expensive than in NC).

Quote:
I have looked into other options closer to Anchorage such as the ones you mentioned, but for some reason I keep getting drawn back to Valdez. It's complicated but for some reason, I feel as though there's something there. Its strange, but I know that Valdez is where I want to be.
Fair enough. Save as much money as you can before you come up here for good, okay? And figure out something practical you can make a living at here. It can take awhile to get in full-time at the schools, but there are office jobs here and there in government and various companies. If you're in decent shape and enjoy manual labor at all, you may be able to get on as a laborer at the pipeline terminal or the refinery or the container terminal and have a shift job (they usually work seven 12-hour days and then have a week off, or work two weeks and have two off). That would give you more time to work on your own projects.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,928,117 times
Quote:
Hello, my name is Alex, aged 16. After my 18th birthday, I want to do a lengthy cross-country road trip up to Valdez, AK with a friend of mine and then spend the winter. I've been planning this trip for about a year now and am just about finished. Although I've looked online about expenses, rentals, and what all will need to be considered during my trip, I want to hear personally the opinions and advice of other people, primarily people who live in Alaska and people who live, or have lived in Valdez.
I would appreciate any info and advice; Alex.
On a clear day, Valdez is the most beautiful place I've ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska