Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:02 PM

152 posts, read 457,410 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

Just got back from my Alaska trip. What a blast!!

Saw lots of different animals, great scenery, and went on some great tours

I started the trip flying into anchorage, and drove straight to Sward. Had an awesome time at the exit glacier and the aquarium didn’t have time to hike the race trail there, have to do that next time. Took a glacier cruse to northwest glacier saw whales, puffins, sea line, sea otters, seals, eagles and a multitude of other birds

after that headed to Denali, unfortunately it was raining on and off there so I did not get to see MT. Denali but saw a ton of moose and doll sheep some caribou and 1 bear. went to a dinner theater there which was a riot highly recommended as well as the white water trip down the river.(which was not as cold as you would think it would be) 

Left Denali and went a crossed the old Denali highway and down to Valdez definitely the most scenic drive of the trip stopped at Wessington glacier (?) and from there drove back to anchorage.

In anchorage there was a few festival like stuff going on to entertain me while I waiter to fly out ( plan lest a 8pm so had the whole day to kill)

Over all a trip well worth repeating and hopefully soon!!

ill post some pics here but ill upload more on a separate site and link to it here, I won’t post all of them, I took 1600 Photos so ill have to go though them and select the better ones. But here’s some for now and ill post the link after I upload more
Attached Thumbnails
Alaska Trip & Pics-picture1.jpg   Alaska Trip & Pics-pic2.jpg   Alaska Trip & Pics-alaska-card-1-535.jpg   Alaska Trip & Pics-pic3.jpg   Alaska Trip & Pics-pic4.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 PM

A few more
(all of these pics are from the first half i have yet to get the second half off of the camera)
Attached Thumbnails
Alaska Trip & Pics-alaska-card-2-043.jpg   Alaska Trip & Pics-alaska-card-2-092.jpg   Alaska Trip & Pics-alaska-card-2-099.jpg  

Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Awesome zedzul! Glad you had a good trip! And thanks for sharing those pictures.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:30 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
great pictures zedzul
thanks for posting them
reminds me I need to pick up a couple more memory cards for our trip there in Aug.
One question did you find that the telephoto on your camera was fine for the long distance shots?
i was wondering if I needed to buy a new camera that had a really good telepohoto lense ?

thanks
Karla

Old 06-19-2007, 05:45 AM

188 posts, read 810,946 times
Yea thanx for sharing zedzul great pics

I cant wait to plan my trip now

Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 42,606 times
Default how many days?

Just got back from my Alaska trip. What a blast!!

Saw lots of different animals, great scenery, and went on some great tours

would you ,kindly elaborate on your trip in more details?how many days did your trip lasted?Did you have prior reservation for lodging and daytrips like cruises or you were pretty spontanous ?I am going to Alaska in the beggining of September and Rance reccomended that I kind of "copy" your itienary..I would appreciate more details of your trip when your time allows.Any tips,advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated-Anya ps.Congratulations on your trip-it sounds that you had a great time and your pictures are truly fantastic.Thank you for sharing them with us.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 PM

Hello Myfask

The lenses I had for the trip are a standard 35-75 and an 80-300. I found myself switching lenses a lot between the scenery and wildlife. I’m convinced that no matter what lenses I have I’ll always want a better zoom But will still need the wider angle of the smaller lenses too.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Hello Anya

I had 10 days from June 7 - 17. Ill break the trip down in to days and hopefully that will help you out some and maybe give you some ideas I know I must have missed a lot Alaska is just to big to explore in 10 days but it was fun trying

day 1 - Flight out of Boston to anchorage then drive to Seward - Bit of a long day I think I was up for about 20 hours as a can't sleep on a plane

Day 2 Hung around Seward went to exit glacier and aquarium
Kenai Fjords National Park - Exit Glacier (U.S. National Park Service)
Alaska SeaLife Center Home Page

day 3 Glacier cruse to northwest glacier - 9 1/2 cruse (I would highly recommended this)
Alaska Glacier Cruises and Tours: Alaska’s #1 Wildlife & Glacier Cruise from Kenai Fjords Tours

day 4 drive toward Denali stop at independence mine / portage glacier /dinner at Talkeetna. Spend night at Denali state park
Independence Mine State Historical Park

day 5 get to Denali nation park, hiking / general exploring of the park
Denali National Park and Preserve - Denali National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

day 6 bus tour into park ( did not get to see MT. Denali but saw lots of wild life)

day 7 white water trip then head out toward Valdez spent night in Glennallen
Went acrossed the old Denali highway very scenic but all dirt road

day 8 drive to Valdez (Great drive with mounting vistas and big water falls) stoped at Wessington glacier (sp?)

day 9 drive to Anchorage ( nice drive watch out for road work on route 1 between Glennallen and palmer)

day 10 hang around anchorage / flight home

I didn't have reservations anywhere as I like to be able to change my plans if I want and not be held to a time frame. I had no problem finding a hotel in Seward, first two I stop at in Valdez where booked full but looked like there were plenty of hotels there, glennallen only has one hotel but it's was almost empty. the only place I think you might have a problem is in Denali, I had camping gear with me and camped there so I don’t know about the hotels, I did hear that staying in Healy which is a 10-15 minutes away is a lot cheaper though.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:28 PM

291 posts, read 831,618 times
So beautiful nature up there. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,019 times
Darn...why wasn't I born in Alaska????!!!
Live is so unfair sometimes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska