Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Well, personally, I think the "Christians" give the state a bad reputation. Particularly those with extreme right wing views and beliefs. And before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I don't mean all Christians. How do I put this . . . if you get upset, you're probably one of the people I'm referring to. The real Christians understand the difference.

I think the state is very resistant to change and that is the ultimate problem.
Factual or not, this is exactly what I think of when I hear someone mention Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
This thread is in the Alabama Forum. It is for us to talk about how to make our state a tourist attraction. It is not meant for people who have never even visited to tell us what is wrong with our state. If you haven't experienced Alabama for yourself you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, driving through the state on your way to Florida does not count.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM

200 posts, read 604,851 times
Say it with me - "I'm vacationing in Alabama."
Sounds like "I'm vacationing in Iowa." Other than space camp, there aren't a lot of things that you can't find in most other areas in the country. There has to be something unique that folks are coming to see, and there isn't much of that in Alabama. The areas I've seen are nice, but nothing special.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
This thread is in the Alabama Forum. It is for us to talk about how to make our state a tourist attraction. It is not meant for people who have never even visited to tell us what is wrong with our state. If you haven't experienced Alabama for yourself you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, driving through the state on your way to Florida does not count.
OK, so the people you are trying to attract can't comment? That makes sense.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I'm satisfied with the current amount of tourists along the gulf coast, I don't see the need for many more.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Say it with me - "I'm vacationing in Alabama."
Sounds like "I'm vacationing in Iowa." Other than space camp, there aren't a lot of things that you can't find in most other areas in the country. There has to be something unique that folks are coming to see, and there isn't much of that in Alabama. The areas I've seen are nice, but nothing special.

Ok let me explain to you about the space camp figures. The reason why the U.S Space Camp in Huntsville is ranked as a top attraction in Alabama is because schools from Al,Tn,Ga,and Ms take field trips to the space center throuigh out the year.

During Mardi Gra season in Mobile there are a million in attendence during that season and the city only has like 190 K. Alabama`s top tourist draw to me is the beach but summer only last for so long. On a nice saturday during the summer Alabama`s gulf beaches will have around 300 k in city with onl 6 k people.

It would be crazy to compare Alabama to Iowa as far as tourist attraction goes.Alabama has mountains,beaches,good climate,metro cities,and a growing cruise industry. The great state of Iowa don`t have that.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
Quote:
OK, so the people you are trying to attract can't comment? That makes sense.
Commenting if they know what they are talking about and just repeating tired old stereotypes that they have heard from other people are two different things. If you visited Alabama, and you have something constructive to say then by all means you should comment.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
Is this question a joke? I mean...seriously.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Commenting if they know what they are talking about and just repeating tired old stereotypes that they have heard from other people are two different things. If you visited Alabama, and you have something constructive to say then by all means you should comment.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping Alabama. I like the area and all, I just don't think it stands out. There isn't a lot of stuff that is "special" that you can't find someplace else. The weather is nice, but many states have nicer weather. The Gulf Coast is nice, but other states have better beaches, etc. I don't really know the northern part of the state well, but mountains can be found in 40 other states. I'm sure Birmingham is nice, but Atlanta, New Orleans, and Miami are all ahead of Birmingham on most peoples' list of southern cities to visit. There are a lot of great things to do, but nothing that makes Alabama stand out as a place to visit, unless you have family there. We haven't visited in a couple of years, and we had a good time when we were there, but we never would have visited had we not had family that lived there.
That being said, I have mentioned in other threads that I don't think any area should hang their economic hat on tourism. Look at Vegas right now and you'll see why. Tourism is not really a solid foundation to build your economic house on, and can actually dilute an areas uniqueness. Before you wonder why Alabama isn't a tourist destination, ask if that's what you really want.

Last edited by aaron4040; 02-13-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping Alabama. I like the area and all, I just don't think it stands out. There isn't a lot of stuff that is "special" that you can't find someplace else. The weather is nice, but many states have nicer weather. The Gulf Coast is nice, but other states have better beaches, etc. I don't really know the northern part of the state well, but mountains can be found in 40 of the other states. I'm sure Birmingham is nice, but Atlanta, New Orleans, and Miami are all ahead of Birmingham on most peoples' list of southern cities to visit. There are a lot of great things to do, but nothing that makes Alabama stand out as a place to visit, unless you have family there. We haven't visited in a couple of years, and we had a good time when we were there, but we never would have visited had we not had family that lived there.
I think that is pretty much the case. I do disagree with the Gulf Coast beach comment though. I think the Alabama and Florida Gulf Coast beaches are the best beaches anywhere for a pure beach vacation. The sand is soft and white, the water is clean, the beaches aren't overly crowded... Otherwise, I think most parts of Alabama can just hope for a regional vacation destination type attractions. No one is going to fly to Alabama for a week's vacation. However, there are some areas that could attract people for a day trip or for a weekend. There is nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. Frankly, I think a nice place to vacation and a nice place to live are often different places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama