Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:21 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Birmingham? In addition to what's already been mentioned, the world's largest collection of motorcycle at the Barber Motorsports Museum. Even if you're not a gearhead, it's awe-inspiring.

Sloss Furnace is a national landmark, a great depiction of industrial history. And Vulcan up on the mountain.
Plus a lot going on on the track. Can you still do laps?

Alys Stephens Center which is affiliated with UAB has awesome performances for very low admissions. Parking across the street used to be free. Early dinner at New Chinatown which does not look like much:>) Check performance schedule of Oak Mountain.

Be prepared for traffic!

Detour into Eufala for the Parade of Homes. Owners of historic houses open part of their homes to the public and give tours explaining the history of it. Adorable costumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 08:46 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'll list some places of note in Baldwin and Mobile counties in my next post...
Perdido:
- Perdido Vineyards
- Splinter Hill Bog Preserve

Stockton:
- Red Hill Spring (about 10 miles north of I-65 on AL-59)

Historic Blakeley State Park has great hiking/bike trails and was the site of the largest Civil War battle in Alabama.

If you want an almost guaranteed chance of seeing an alligator or two, check out the Gator Boardwalk in Daphne.

An architecturally unique site just east of Spanish Fort is Malbis Memorial Church which was built by a Greek immigrant and early developer of the area.

It's definitely worth driving all the way down to the coast and visiting Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. The sand and water are gorgeous. There's a pavilion with picnic tables, bathrooms with showers and everything.

Magnolia Springs is a very charming and unique little town that's worth checking out. It has the only regular water route for US Mail delivery in the US.

Downtown Fairhope is a great place to walk around and window shop. There's also a city park right on the bay with a long pier to get some great views of the bay and Mobile's skyline.

If you like seafood, Mobile and Baldwin counties have some of the best seafood offerings in the world. There are lots of great places along the causeway (US 98) and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Downtown Mobile really has too many historic sites and museums to name. There's the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, the USS Alabama battleship, Fort Conde, Bienville Square, Washington Square, the Mardi Gras Museum (Mardi Gras actually started in Mobile, not New Orleans), the Bragg-Mitchell Mansion, so many historic homes (particularly on Government St.), so many great places to eat and drink. Mobile is a trip in itself, lol.

Depending on how much time you want to spend in Mobile itself, at the very least I would recommend driving on Old Shell Rd. from its eastern end at Broad St. and going westward at least until the Midtown area (Florida Street). That stretch to me is quintessential Mobile. The trees, houses, the whole ambiance.

On the west side of Mobile, there's Mobile Botanical Gardens and Spring Hill College's Avenue of the Oaks. There's also an Archaeology Museum at the Univ. of South Alabama that's free and actually pretty interesting.

If you feel like venturing down to the coast on the Mobile side of the bay, you can check out the shrimp boats at Bayou la Batre or go all the way down to Dauphin Island and check out the bird sanctuary or the aquarium.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:21 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
It is a shame you don't like Space, because the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is very impressive.

In addition to what was previously mentioned above, I would suggest the following:

DeSoto State Park and Scenic Drive - Little River Canyon Rim Parkway

Alabama Fan Club and Museum in Fort Payne.

This will get you off the beaten path and enjoying the scenic outdoors in the Alabama Mountains.

Since you are coming via Tennessee, I would highly recommend the Jack Daniel's Distillery Visitor Tour in Lynchburg, TN also.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:32 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Dropping back in to say many thanks to all, especially Mike. So much to do and see! Am looking forward to my trip, and will share pics when I get back.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:05 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
There may be a local art show in Mentone you may find interesting. It's a nice drive regardless of the happenings.

If you find yourself in Birmingham then I would suggest Birmingham’s historic Rickwood Field. It is a turn of the century baseball field that still has replicas of the old signage from back in the 40's and 50s. It was also the home of the Birmingham Black Barons baseball team and part of the Negro League. It is where Alabama's Willie Mays had started his professional baseball career. The field is still used occasionally by high school teams and I think it may be going through some renovations with a potential MLB game scheduled for either this year or 2025.

Old 02-17-2024, 09:45 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Here is an old stand by: https://www.southernliving.com/travel

Old 02-17-2024, 10:20 AM

2,069 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Just make sure you don't accidentally walk out of the Sac-o-Suds convenience store with a can of tuna in your pocket and speed away in a 1964 Buick Skylark convertible. Things might get rather complicated...

Old 02-17-2024, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 232 times
Seeing Las carrateras in the area was one of my best unrepeatable experiences

Old 02-18-2024, 06:19 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
The Legacy Museum in Montgomery is new and outstanding, and the affiliated memorial to lynching victims around the country is very moving. If you are into history, these are must-see sites.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:22 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
The Legacy Museum in Montgomery is new and outstanding, and the affiliated memorial to lynching victims around the country is very moving. If you are into history, these are must-see sites.

Oh, that's a good one. Also, if the civil rights struggle is of interest, it's worth a trip to the Edmund Pettis Bridge and the two nearby museums. Just don't stay there. Selma makes Gary, Indiana, look like Boca Raton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama